Mashing With Rice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I was been doing a bit of reading on rice in beers giving a nice clean dry finosh and would like to try it in a pale ale for my keg.

I have a couple of questions for those who have tried this though.

How much is a good amount to use? I was thinking 10%

How do i add it?

I was thinking of i ran the rice through the mill to break it up a bit and boiled it up for 15 min and them just poured it into the mash.

If i mashed in at 50 to 52 deg for a protein rest, i could do my rice boil and add the required amount of boiling hot rice liquor to raise the temp to mashing temp.

amy sugestions?

cheers

Skip the hassle and just use flaked rice from the health food isle at woolies/coles/etc.....

No ceral mash reqd...no messing with multiple pots....just dump them in with the rest of the mash....

Ive had a beer(ale) made by Beerslayer with 500gm to a batch...just right I reckon...

been listing to the podcast of craftbrewer and beer mafe with rice malt sem sto be crap with the fats oils ect but htat was just rice malt

wasnt goimg to use rice malt, just rice.

good tip linz, will look for it.

cheers

Just made one with rice used about 1/3 rice to 2/3 malt. What I found was that I need to add more of a specility grain to give taste, was very plain. The easy way I found to ceral mash it was grind rice and add so ground malt to a rice cooker.

Rice will dilute/remove both colour and flavour

Latest posts

Back