Mashing The Perfect Sweet Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Alchemist

Reaction score
Note: Also available over at Mad Alchemist. Thanks for the feedback on a couple of previous posts/questions here that helped lead me to the conclusions presented here.

Creating the perfect water profile and mash for a sweet stout is an exercise in contradiction. You want the beer to be very dark, sweet, malty, and full-bodied. It should have some roasted and toasty notes without astringency. To me, that translates to the following information concerning the mash and water profile: Keep the pH of the mash fairly high, around 5.6 (at room temperature). Keep the Chloride to Sulfate ratio high, around 3 to 1. Ensure Chloride and Sodium are both above 100, but below 150. Keep the temperature of the mash up around 158F. It also means a thicker mash of around 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain.

Where does the contradiction come in? Mostly with the grain bill. You're looking at 10-15% of your grist being dark, roasted malt, which will drive the pH of the mash down significantly. It's quite difficult to get a pH of more than 5.2-5.3 (at room temperature) without ending up with too much of something in the final beer (like sodium or bicarbonates). The reason I want to keep the pH up in the 5.4-5.6 range is because I use diastatically weak base malts for sweet stouts (like Munich or Maris Otter), and it's better for enzymatic activity in that range. It's also theoretically going to favor alpha amylase in this higher range, while beta amylase is favored a bit lower. Favoring alpha amylase is the same reason I keep the mash temperature up high at around 158F.

The higher the Chloride to Sulfate ratio, the more malty the final beer is going to be. You need about 100ppm of Chloride before it has significant impact, and the same generally goes for Sodium (which rounds out the beer at that level, and I find that desirable in a sweet stout). You also, of course, need at least 50ppm of Calcium. The problem with the Calcium is that it lowers pH, but you really don't want too much Bicarbonate in beer (some people believe it creates undesirable flavors, even though a lot of it will precipitate out, so I err on the side of caution here).

Okay, I think that's enough of the reasoning behind the numbers I aim for with a sweet stout. On to the solution(s).

The first solution I came up with was to only worry about pH during the mash, and add all of the other minerals to the water after the mash. So, I'd add Sodium Bicarbonate and/or Calcium Carbonate during the mash to raise pH, then Calcium Chloride and Magnesium (or Calcium) Sulfate after the mash. Truthfully, this seemed to work out pretty well (and A.J. deLange corroborated), but I believe there is a better, and easier, way.

Don't mash your roasted grains. Roasted grains will drive the pH down considerably, so it's difficult to keep the pH high no matter what fancy solution you use during the mash. Roasted grains have the wonderful benefit of not needing to be mashed. So, the best solution, in my opinion, is to mash everything except for your roasted grains in your MLT, and steep your roasted grains in a separate vessel simultaneously. Then, combine the wort created by the roasted grains with the mashed wort in the brew kettle.

I would not recommend sparging with the roasted wort, in part because you're going to impact the sparge pH pretty significantly, and in part because you're somewhat defeating the purpose of rinsing all the sugars out of the grist by adding more in their place.

Hitting the ideal concentrations of all ions in the brewing water as well as the ideal pH is very easy when you leave out your roasted malts (and any other malts that don't need to be mashed, such as caramel/crystal). By steeping the roasted malts (and, optionally, your crystal malts) separate from the mash, you might end up with a much better sweet stout in the end.

Does steeping extract the same amount of flavour and colour as mashing the roasted grains or do you suggest using additional amounts?

Does steeping extract the same amount of flavour and colour as mashing the roasted grains or do you suggest using additional amounts?
In my experience, yes. Or, nearly exactly the same. A "perfect" roasted grain will give you all of the flavor, aroma, and color if steeped as if they are mashed. There are subtle differences, but it's not appreciable to my senses. The same can be said for true caramel malts. However, there are some things that you might think are roasted or caramel malts that won't do quite the same in a steep as a mash like Cara-Pils or Biscuit.

If you stick with the truly dark roasted malts like Black Patent, Roasted Barley, and Chocolate, you'll be good to go with the steep.

mash everything except for your roasted grains in your MLT, and steep your roasted grains in a separate vessel simultaneously. Then, combine the wort created by the roasted grains with the mashed wort in the brew kettle.

I add all my dark malts in the last 15 mins of the mash, and get all the flavour and colour, but no harshness. Very smooth result.

.02c

Note: Also available over at Mad Alchemist. Thanks for the feedback on a couple of previous posts/questions here that helped lead me to the conclusions presented here.

Creating the perfect water profile and mash for a sweet stout is an exercise in contradiction. You want the beer to be very dark, sweet, malty, and full-bodied. It should have some roasted and toasty notes without astringency. To me, that translates to the following information concerning the mash and water profile: Keep the pH of the mash fairly high, around 5.6 (at room temperature). Keep the Chloride to Sulfate ratio high, around 3 to 1. Ensure Chloride and Sodium are both above 100, but below 150. Keep the temperature of the mash up around 158F. It also means a thicker mash of around 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain.

Where does the contradiction come in? Mostly with the grain bill. You're looking at 10-15% of your grist being dark, roasted malt, which will drive the pH of the mash down significantly. It's quite difficult to get a pH of more than 5.2-5.3 (at room temperature) without ending up with too much of something in the final beer (like sodium or bicarbonates). The reason I want to keep the pH up in the 5.4-5.6 range is because I use diastatically weak base malts for sweet stouts (like Munich or Maris Otter), and it's better for enzymatic activity in that range. It's also theoretically going to favor alpha amylase in this higher range, while beta amylase is favored a bit lower. Favoring alpha amylase is the same reason I keep the mash temperature up high at around 158F.

The higher the Chloride to Sulfate ratio, the more malty the final beer is going to be. You need about 100ppm of Chloride before it has significant impact, and the same generally goes for Sodium (which rounds out the beer at that level, and I find that desirable in a sweet stout). You also, of course, need at least 50ppm of Calcium. The problem with the Calcium is that it lowers pH, but you really don't want too much Bicarbonate in beer (some people believe it creates undesirable flavors, even though a lot of it will precipitate out, so I err on the side of caution here).

Okay, I think that's enough of the reasoning behind the numbers I aim for with a sweet stout. On to the solution(s).

The first solution I came up with was to only worry about pH during the mash, and add all of the other minerals to the water after the mash. So, I'd add Sodium Bicarbonate and/or Calcium Carbonate during the mash to raise pH, then Calcium Chloride and Magnesium (or Calcium) Sulfate after the mash. Truthfully, this seemed to work out pretty well (and A.J. deLange corroborated), but I believe there is a better, and easier, way.

Don't mash your roasted grains. Roasted grains will drive the pH down considerably, so it's difficult to keep the pH high no matter what fancy solution you use during the mash. Roasted grains have the wonderful benefit of not needing to be mashed. So, the best solution, in my opinion, is to mash everything except for your roasted grains in your MLT, and steep your roasted grains in a separate vessel simultaneously. Then, combine the wort created by the roasted grains with the mashed wort in the brew kettle.

I would not recommend sparging with the roasted wort, in part because you're going to impact the sparge pH pretty significantly, and in part because you're somewhat defeating the purpose of rinsing all the sugars out of the grist by adding more in their place.

Hitting the ideal concentrations of all ions in the brewing water as well as the ideal pH is very easy when you leave out your roasted malts (and any other malts that don't need to be mashed, such as caramel/crystal). By steeping the roasted malts (and, optionally, your crystal malts) separate from the mash, you might end up with a much better sweet stout in the end.

Isn't the pH about 0.3 units higher at mash temps? So if your going for pH 5.6 at RT wouldn't it be 5.9 at mash temp. I can never remember if its higher or lower at mash temp?

Good info though. Well thought out.

Isn't the pH about 0.3 units higher at mash temps? So if your going for pH 5.6 at RT wouldn't it be 5.9 at mash temp. I can never remember if its higher or lower at mash temp?

Good info though. Well thought out.

Just did some looking and pH is lower at mash temp then at room temp. OK then.

In my experience, yes. Or, nearly exactly the same. A "perfect" roasted grain will give you all of the flavor, aroma, and color if steeped as if they are mashed. There are subtle differences, but it's not appreciable to my senses. The same can be said for true caramel malts. However, there are some things that you might think are roasted or caramel malts that won't do quite the same in a steep as a mash like Cara-Pils or Biscuit.

If you stick with the truly dark roasted malts like Black Patent, Roasted Barley, and Chocolate, you'll be good to go with the steep.
John palmer has some things to say about this.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html

According to this, steeping will extract same yield as mashing for black malt/ roast barley, BUT will get give lower extraction for crystal malts and chocolate and brown malt (but who would ever steep brown malt?). he claims to have get these reulys therough actual measurement so i am happy to believe hi, cos I haven't got the time to do my own experiements. So yes, I agree that its OK to leave roasted grain only (ie black malt, roast barley) from the mash. I would include crystal and chocolate in the mash based on this data.

John palmer has some things to say about this.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html

According to this, steeping will extract same yield as mashing for black malt/ roast barley, BUT will get give lower extraction for crystal malts and chocolate and brown malt (but who would ever steep brown malt?). he claims to have get these reulys therough actual measurement so i am happy to believe hi, cos I haven't got the time to do my own experiements. So yes, I agree that its OK to leave roasted grain only (ie black malt, roast barley) from the mash. I would include crystal and chocolate in the mash based on this data.
Thanks, hazard. So, you either have to not include chocolate malt in your steep and only include roasted barley or black patent, or you can increase your chocolate malt by 50-60%. I'll try to get my original post updated with that information and the link to How to Brew. I'll also crosscheck the info with the current version of the book in case things have changed.

Latest posts

Back