Mash volume question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My esky mash tun dead space is 100ml. Yes that's 0.1 lt. The dead space/trub loss from boiler/keggle is 4lt. Unless I choose to tilt and empty more of all that cloudy muddy stuff into a fermenter. Its just a case of: Do you want that muck in, or not into your fermenting volume batch. Its not a crucial thing to be good or bad but more towards fussiness of variable results judged. I'm no were near good enough of a connoisseur to say good or bad about it only I wont recycle yeast if its heavily mucked with lots of hot break/hop matter and sediment.

crd0902 said:
Quick update, I checked the loss in my mash tun, 350 ml approx. may be different once I'm mashing grain not just water but we see. I leave approx 4 litres in my kettle as the tap is quite high and have no dip tube. I may need to fix this before brew day as I think that's too much. Cheers
350ml, very good.
If your tap is high give it a tilt when you're draining and you'll get most of what's left. Use a clarifying agent (whirlfloc, Brewbrite etc.) to assist. I did this before I had a dip tube and I reckon it was as effective as any method.

Latest posts

Back