Mash Tun Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard_M

Reaction score
About 6 years ago I decided to look for an alternative to the plastic flip-top type tap on my mash-tun. This afternoon I spent an hour looking for the top part of the tap which has dissappeared. I guess now is the time to start looking at the alternatives, so what is everybody else using ? Pics would help.
Cheers
Gerard

About 6 years ago I decided to look for an alternative to the plastic flip-top type tap on my mash-tun. This afternoon I spent an hour looking for the top part of the tap which has dissappeared. I guess now is the time to start looking at the alternatives, so what is everybody else using ? Pics would help.
Cheers
Gerard

Most people use the ball valves after seeing pics and other posts on the site.
Thats whats on the mash tun I'll be adopting shortly, as well as my kettles. I don't think I have seen much about the plastic flip taps though....

s/s ball valves gerard , im using a one peice at the moment but will upgrade to 3 peices in the near future for cleaning and sanitation purposes...

Sort of lost me too Gerard,not sure what your after.
The answer ball valves seems a bit to easy,I am sure your after something else.

Batz

Cheers
Gerard

Hi Gerard,

My mash tuns use some brass allthread & a ballvalve. I make washers up from silicon bakeware to seal behind the flange nuts (1 inside, 1 outside).

I think there are some pics in a thread somewhere here, better to PM me your email & I'll send you some images

sounds like life is treating you well down south.....keep up the good work.
Croz

Try these guys, cheapest fittings I found and a few others here have bought from them also:-

LINKY - TS VALVES

1/2" 3 Piece Ball Valve $15 +gst

also get a bulkhead and you're away

cheers

Sully

Cheers
Gerard

You can get weld-less ball values, give Ross a call or Grain and Grape etc.

Jay

I got mine in a kit from Beerbelly.

Ball valve seems the most common way to go.

Works for me and everyone else.

anyone know if that TS mob will post stuff as well , gotta give them a call ...

anyone know if that TS mob will post stuff as well , gotta give them a call ...
Yep, ordered mine today, just waiting on invoice to come through for final amount

dont have credit card facilities though - direct deposit only

Cheers

Hi Gerard,
My mash tuns use some brass allthread & a ballvalve. I make washers up from silicon bakeware to seal behind the flange nuts (1 inside, 1 outside).
I think there are some pics in a thread somewhere here, better to PM me your email & I'll send you some images
sounds like life is treating you well down south.....keep up the good work.
Croz

Thanks Phil, PM sent
Yes I know the answer is SS Ball Valve, what I was after was the manner in which it is fitted. Years ago I saw a great tap that had a cone like barb or thread that would have almost suited, I just never made it back to that shop to have a better look at it. I have about a dozen spare ball valves at work that could get a run, just need to find a way to attach them. Or it could be time to start converting the large Stainless vessel that is gathering dust in the garage. I have some nice slotted floor that I scored ages ago that would fit too. Maybe I will go to TAFE & learn how to weld & build a bigger shiny version of Franko's Red Rocket.
Cheers
Gerard

Thats the one,
http://www.winequip.com.au/Home+Winemaking...c913fa19912e1bb

thanks for the link JL, I bet it won't fit now!

fit with a bulkhead of some sort , check out beer belly's website for a picture of how it happens...

I am going to be using one of these, the shorter part to the inside, remove the cap on the longer part and screw on the ball valve. just have to find some suitable o'rings. about $30 at T&S (no affiliation).

Cheers

Sully

Image1.jpg

Thanks Phil, PM sent

didn't receive the PM, so here are the Pics.

tun_setup.JPG
tun_outside.JPG

From them you can workout how it goes together including the homemade silicone washers. I had to make up the blocks due to the angled sides of the tun near the base, otherwise the allthread would have come out at an angle. i had to use wood as I couldn't source any blocks of nylon at the right price. it hasn't affected the taste of any brews - even won a 1st in last years state comp with a brew out of it...

I am going to be using one of these, the shorter part to the inside, remove the cap on the longer part and screw on the ball valve. just have to find some suitable o'rings. about $30 at T&S (no affiliation).

Cheers

Sully

Don't buy them yet Sully,I think I have a few of them.

Batz

I make washers up from silicon bakeware to seal behind the flange nuts (1 inside, 1 outside).

If it's going through the wall of an esky, I don't know why you'd bother with a silicon washer on the outside.

Any liquid that makes it past the inside washer is going to end up in the wall cavity of the esky.

my esky doesn't have a cavity where the tap exists.! its just a single plastic wall.

I used a 1/2" threaded brass pipe through the bulkhead where the tap was Gerard.
On the end of that I put a 1/2" SS ball valve and 1/2" SS tail pipe.

The plastic thermometer tube in the first picture represents the cooler wall.

Hope this helps a bit.

C&B
TDA

Edit: added the T piece photo.

mash_tun_tap.JPG

Manifold1.JPG

Manifold_to_cooler_wall.JPG

outlet1.JPG

T_Piece.JPG

Latest posts

Back