Mash Temperature Drop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE (dr K @ Jun 2 2010, 06:51 PM) *
From a practical homebrew point of view this probably means don't worry too much, sure a wort mashed at 69C may produce a maltier beer than one at 63C, but choice of grain bill, yeast, fermentation conditions, time and temperature in particular will have a far greater impact.
I suggest that an identical EBC and IBU beer mashed 60 minutes at 69C using Galaxy, light crystal and US-05 will not be as malty as a beer mashed 60 minutes at 63C using Munich 1, Melanoidan and say a WLP830 Oktoberfest.
K

Dr. K

Thats like comparing apples and organges.

Which is indeed correct, of course both apples and oranges are common garden variety fruits, Galaxy and Munich 1 are base malts (read ok to 100% or garden variety malts). Kilning of itself affects moisture, colour and the pre-cursors to DMS, not a whole lot more.
You correctly agree that yeast variety has a greater effect on "maltiness" than mash temp, you also concur that there is a lot of irrelevant arm waving about exact mash temps. This is all good stuff, I send my best wishes to you for up-coming BJCP exam, I understand its a pretty tough process to get through.

K

Two things here, Dr. K:

QUOTE (dr K @ Jun 2 2010, 06:51 PM) *
In order for the amalyse enzymes (beta or alpha) to work the starch first has to be gelatinized, good thing that barley starches gelatinize in the mash range, gelatinization continues throughout the mash, in fact full gelatinization is most likely not accomplished in a standard 60 minute infusion mash.

Are you saying a 60 minute mash may well leave starches behind?

Yes, in that big starches may well be left behind in the mash tun ,not the kettle by the way, unless perhaps if you were to sparge way too hot. On the other hand I guess what I was attempting to make clear is that whilst saccarification may only take 20 minutes a whole lot of other stuff happens in the the mash, including gelatinization.

From a practical homebrew point of view this probably means don't worry too much, sure a wort mashed at 69C may produce a maltier beer than one at 63C, ...

And I disagree with this. Wouldn't a higher mash temp leave greater residual body, not greater malt character? It's essentially like adding more dextrins and other complex sugars, not like adding the malty goodness that results from the malting process (And, to an arguably lesser extent, from the boil)

If you read further you would agree that both you and I disagree on this rather simplistic concept of high = malty low = dry, I went on to note that malts and yeasts and fermentation regimes have a far greater effect on maltiness than mash temps, which I guess was a reasonable reply to the OP.

K

Yes, in that big starches may well be left behind in the mash tun ,not the kettle by the way, unless perhaps if you were to sparge way too hot. On the other hand I guess what I was attempting to make clear is that whilst saccarification may only take 20 minutes a whole lot of other stuff happens in the the mash, including gelatinization.

Gotcha.

If you read further you would agree that both you and I disagree on this rather simplistic concept of high = malty low = dry, I went on to note that malts and yeasts and fermentation regimes have a far greater effect on maltiness than mash temps, which I guess was a reasonable reply to the OP.

K

Yeah, I read that bit. What I was saying is the concept should read low = dry and high = body, not malty.

Yeah, I read that bit. What I was saying is the concept should read low = dry and high = body, not malty.

precisely watson, which is why i was insanely perhaps, pushing my barrow, lord knows how many times, that mash temp is not a major factor in "maltiness", so i am glad that least one agrees with me..

I can bang my gavel while you push that barrow, if you like. I'll need a soapbox first though. And a wig.

I have lots of soapboxes, but you have to supply your own wig.....

Back