Mash Temp Monitoring.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCT

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
I am looking at some sort of digital thermometer to monitor the mash, don't really need it to do any controlling at all and these cheapies from ebay look like a cheap way to do so, although the probes are no good.

I was thinking I could weld in a 1/2" socket into the mash tun and use this probe, although it would be a pain stirring the mash.
I don't really want to use dials as I've found them to be fairly inaccurate.

Looking for ideas, what does everybody else use & anybody got any better alternatives?

Cheers.

It might not be your cup of tea - but I've been using a DS18B20 sensor on the end of some flat phone cord that I heat shrank and sealed. I have a small laptop that I use with a python script that reads the temperature.

IMG_0320.JPG

(The script you see is actually a ferment fridge controller I wrote that's why you see the "Fridge" and "Blue LED" as things being activated...

IMG_0323.JPG

I don't have a photo of the end of the probe though...

The flat phone cable doesn't interfere with your stirring as it just floats around in the mash...

if you just want to track temp then one of these is what I've been using...
Therm

although mine doesn't have humidity. there are a few options there but I got mine for $8 with free shipping. Works well as far as I can tell.

Latest posts

Back