Mash Out question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goid said:
Decoction is boiling of the mash fluid not the grains. Is it not the grains that hold the components for astringency? If you don't get the grain to temp, it doesn't matter how much your boil the liquid.
Quite the opposite.

In a decoction mash you take a thick portion of the mash (say 1/5 - 1/4 of the volume) and boil it, grain and all. This gets added back to the mash to raise the temperature for the next rest.

JD

manticle said:
So you think mash out is bullshit but have another process that results in exactly the same outcome?
Its not the same as a mashout

klangers said:
Yet he talks about solubility as the cause of lowered viscosity....
I thought this was odd too. In reality the viscosity of the mash will continue to decrease as the temperature rises, but not by much at the temperature range we're talking about.

Liam_snorkel said:
I thought this was odd too. In reality the viscosity of the mash will continue to decrease as the temperature rises, but not by much at the temperature range we're talking about.
The viscosity of sugars will reduce with dilution from sparging whether you're fly sparging or batch sparging however, From the point of view of science with my next brew I will run two lots of first runnings through a viscosity cup, one at 80C and one at 60C and see just how much difference there really is. My bet is there will be no discernable difference.

Yes I doubt it would be measurable based purely on the kinematic viscosity of water at those temperatures. The liquid component of the mash would be mostly water. It would also be safe to assume that all the sugar would be in solution by that point.

Liam_snorkel said:
Yes I doubt it would be measurable based purely on the kinematic viscosity of water at those temperatures. The liquid component of the mash would be mostly water. It would also be safe to assume that all the sugar would be in solution by that point.
Correct, all the sugar would be in solution by then because there is no other option for the sugar to be. It started off as starch of course and the enzymes can only act in a water liquid environment at the right temperatures. The liquid component will most certainly be water with the dissolved sugar in it.
But of course, viscosity cups are designed to measure viscosity so if there is a difference between the two temperature worts then of course you will get a different measurement. That's the idea anyway.

Back