Marks Home Brew confirmed to stay open then sold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half of marks problem was that his prices were too low. I'm happy to pay a premium for the convenience of service he provided.

He could have charged an extra dollar per kilo and I would still be stoked to be able to pick up a ready to go recipe.

Let's be real. Even if your brew cost 20%more that mark charged it's still gonna be way cheaper that the comparable commercial product.

It has to be worthwhile to run these businesses otherwise they disappear. If only I could think of an example......

Not saying I won't support the local bloke but from some of the other local prices it is still far cheaper to mail order from other forum sponsors. I'm using someone 1200 Km's away ATM and with freight can get an extra recipe for the same price. That's a no brainer for me considering Raymond terrace is a 40 minute drive each way. I will drive it but it needs to be cost effective. Obviously businesses need to make money but in a competitive retail market price is usually the deciding factor is it not?

I'd like to know these sponsors Pilchard. Cause I haven't found any that once freight is thrown in is cheaper, especially far cheaper. I drive an hour for supplies and it's cheaper once freight is thrown in, unless it's tiny weightless stuff.

An hour's drive, say 80km each way. Say 10l/100km, so 16 litres of fuel round trip. Say $1.30 per litre, $20.80 in fuel.

And postage is still more? Poor bastards, knew that I had it easier but not that much.

Maybe City to City freight is cheaper than city to country. Makes sense to be. Anyway this is kinda derailing and taking the light away from Steve. Good luck mate, may you become a rich man.

An hour's drive, say 80km each way. Say 10l/100km, so 16 litres of fuel round trip. Say $1.30 per litre, $20.80 in fuel.

Tell me where this cheap fuel is!

shaunous said:
I'd like to know these sponsors Pilchard. Cause I haven't found any that once freight is thrown in is cheaper, especially far cheaper. I drive an hour for supplies and it's cheaper once freight is thrown in, unless it's tiny weightless stuff.
I costed out a few recipes recently from the other local bloke and they were 15-25 bucks dearer per recipe than national, so I took the freight option. Got a full 25kg order and at $1.30 or less a kg freight I'm still better off.

I hope Steve has the best of luck starting out and can make a good go of it. I'd hate to see it turn into the same sales platform as the other shops knowing there is no local competition and pricing accordingly.

Cheers

I buy mine online to pilchard. Way more cost effective than other local stores and more variety and easier ordering systems. I use to brew lots of different styles when the grain was from (cheap) MHB. I've had to keep my beers abit lower in alc and styles to suit to make my habit affordable to coincide with my herms build lol.

Was trying to be generous with my hypothetical scenario by using a lower than actual fuel price. Obviously the higher the fuel price the higher postage needs to be to justify the trip.

G'day Steve

It's good to hear that you will be up and running soon. Although I haven't been for a few years, we have met before through HUB and I look forward to catching up with you again.

Will you be sending out an email to everyone in Mark's system? I ask because I know of other customers of Mark's who don't read AHB all the time (unbelievable I know).

I gotta say it's also great to hear that you have that beast of a mill. It made a HUGE difference to efficiency with my process when I got my grain from Mark compared to other retailers.

All the best with your new venture.

Cheers
Dick

Hey Dick,

Yes I know you, will be good to catch up, has been a couple of years. I definitely will be posting some e-mails, but not from Mark's system rather my own when it's up and this will cover all the contacts Mark had. That way it will include all the new contact details for the store. I hope to get that communication out early this week, even if it is not from the website... I will find a way.

Cheers Steve

Boozed said:
Bribie G, $12 postage per 25kg sack from Country Brewer East Maitland to the Taree area. Just call the store direct to order
$12 for 25kg.
I feel like I'm being ripped off now. 9kg of ingredients (from a sponsor) $35 worth. Plus $20 delivery.
Can't Wait till brew man gets going. Hurry up mate lol.

Glad to hear this business is under new management. Despite so many positive comments about MHB on the forum, my first and only ordering experience was just terrible.

MHB had advertised on AHB that he was selling Pacman, so I joined, ordered this and some lager yeast, completed the online payment and received the order confirmation. 11 days later, no shipping confirmation and no delivery. Sent a polite email checking on the status of the order, no response. Tried the online contact form on his website, still no response. Gave him the benefit of the doubt as a small business owner, illness, holidays? Yet there he posting away on the forum, so I sent him THIRD message as a PM, two weeks since the initial order. Zero response to 3 enquiries through 3 different channels - ever! And never got the order. Gave up after seeing he hadn't even charged my credit card.

Actually thought the guy must have so many customers and sales that he couldn't be bothered with a new costumer's order or their follow-up emails, so a bit surprised to see him write about business being slow. Well, I know of one order that would have improved sales! Perhaps some common decency in responding to enquiries from new customers would also have seen some business improvement.

Almost two years later, I just got an email from the new operator about the changes, so it appears I'm still a member of the shop. Looking forward to much better service from Steve.

how can we join the mailing list for the 'new' store..not on Mark's mailing list as I never ordered from him..

Latest posts

Back