Maris Otter as base malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spiesy said:
I'm loving 2-row in my APA's right now - certainly not malty, but I like the lightness and crispness that it brings to the table. Combined with a low mash temp and clean yeast really puts the focus on the hops.
what would you use instead of 2 row barley?

JasonP said:
what would you use instead of 2 row barley?
6 row barley.
Or 4 row but that would be incredibly unlikely.
Probably worth mentioning that MO is a 2 row variety.

Not For Horses said:
6 row barley.
Or 4 row but that would be incredibly unlikely.
Probably worth mentioning that MO is a 2 row variety.
yeah, I was being sarcastic. Does anyone stock 6 row in Australia. Never heard of 4row before.

I doubt if there is any 6 row in Australia, it's grown almost exclusively in the USA and is the reason they went to cereal mashing as the malt on its own causes protein haze.

Bribie G said:
As someone posted, horses for courses. I doubt if the MO and other overseas grains that get imported for home brewers are even a gnat's bite on the hides of JW or BB, much as I applaud the "malt miles" principle.
Precisely, and I don't see the sense in buying & supporting a locally made product over an imported one solely on the principle that it is made here when it is inferior to the imported product. It's a globalised economy, either the locals can ship up or shape out. There is no reason why Bb or JW cannot produce malts that are of the equivalent quality of their European brethren if they put in the hard yards to build proper floor malting facilities.

Really their only advantage to us is one of cost.

4 row is not that common and I believe it's mostly grown for feed.
Bribie, that logic seems slightly flawed, we are talking about an imported variety here anyway. It's just as feasible that an American 6 row would be imported. So that begs the question of why do we not see it here?

I have enquired in the past from the major retailers on the site and they state that no six row is imported into Australia.

Yeah ok. Any idea why though? The Americans seem to like it. It can't be all bad can it?

Not For Horses said:
Yeah ok. Any idea why though? The Americans seem to like it. It can't be all bad can it?
its seen as inferior to 2row. 6 row contains higher protein therefore lower extract. Thats why it is usually mixed with adjuncts. Higher protein can give haze issues too. Not sure why popular in us.

Thinking about it I reckon its for ecomonic reasons why 6 row is used in the us. With higher protein content of 6 row gives ability to use cheaper adjuncts such as maize for fermentables. Maize grows easily over there and cheaper than malted barley.

Higher protein yes. Barely. 1 or 2% at best. Lower extract yes. Again, barely. 1 or 2% difference.
Those two are also not really related. For example wheat has higher protein than both but generally higher extract potential.
The greater use of adjuncts is attributed to greater diastatic power rather than protein content.
I suspect you're right about economic reasons and I'm guessing that 6 row varieties just don't grow as well here otherwise our big brewers would certainly be using it.
We use MO for the flavour. Big brewers use what is cheap.

6-row have a higher diastatic power, don't they.
So it's probably down to economics - it allows the breweries to use more cheap adjuncts (eg: corn) as they need a smaller proportion of diastatically active barley to convert everything.
Also, the 6-row is used extensively for stock feed, i believe. So i'm guessing that'd make it cheaper to produce also.

Malting barley, whether it's two or six row, is higher quality (plumper, more starch etc) than feed barley so that isn't a factor. People also need to forget the myth breweries use adjuncts to save money. Ingredients is one of the smallest expenses in a brewery (packaging and energy are among the highest). They use adjuncts because it gives them the beer they want to make.

Kiwifirst said:
How low? you talking 65c and a S05 yeast or something completely different.

I am trying to build a recipe for the wonderful Japanese House of the Rising Sun pale ale. This is what got me onto the whole MO discussion.
1-hr, 65-degrees.

Due to my business I've been experimenting a lot with White Labs yeast. The last brew I used WLP008, and really liked it. But you'll get good results with US05, or a similar liquid yeast - WLP001 or WY1056.

DeGarre said:
This could be due to the mash schedule and not necessarily the malt. If you can step-mash (BM users take note!) my 4% beers feel like 5% beers with this:

mash in at 55
40mins at 63
50mins at 70
15mins at 77

malty and full-bodied mouth feel.
Going to give this mash schedule a go this weekend. Brewing a lightly hopped session ale.

How do I guess my SG & FG, beersmith2 seems to have a breakdown when I change the Saccharification rest to 63c. Mashing at 66c it guesses my FG to be 1.008, change to 63c the FG jumps to 1.011??

It seems BS2 cant handle anything lower that 64c as a mash temp. Anyone other BS2 users have this issue?

Going for a IPA with this project.

4.75 Maris Otter
.40 pale wheat
.35 carapils
.80 Munich

40g Northern Brewer as the battering hop
40g each of Cascade, centennial and Amarilo spread over 30 mins.

Have a London ESB yeast washed from the last English bitter, so going to try that for my first ever recycled yeast experiment.

Looking at 5.6% with an IBU close to 70.

Latest posts

Back