Maris Otter as base malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Just a conversation recently with one retailer that they prefer to deal with Cryer who are supportive of retailers, and have given the other mob the arse, as Bintani will sell direct to the public (bulk buys). However that was just from one retailer. I think I heard something similar from another very large retailer. Maybe things have changed, certainly hope so as I really like Simpsons, as well as coming from my home turf in the NE of England.

attachicon.gif
maris otter bamburgh.jpg
C'mon Bribie, youre not trying to stir up a retailer bashing :lol:
Bintani are a good crowd to deal with plus I also prefer JW over BB.... and Best malts are quite well priced compared to Weyermann...

Andy..

Kiwifirst said:
Mashed and trying my first ever no chill cube.
Woke up this morning to find my cube sitting at 13c

My ESB yeast ain't going to like that.

I have a Cunning plan, I decided to make a heat source. I have a big thick glass jug, filled it with warm water, stuck the fish tank warmer rod in it, plugged the warmer rod to my temp control box and set it to 20. Cupboard now sitting at 20c

When pouring the wort from the jerry can into the fermenter I added some hot water first. My brew was already .010 higher that I was expecting so another litre wouldn't hurt.

My first taste test has me wondering how bitter it is going to be, I was aiming for high 50's but it doesn't taste like that at all, more like mid 30's. I used a hop bag I a suspended pot, but I used around 120g of hops and wonder if they got to compacted and didn't perform as they should have.

Would it be wise to use MO for a aussie style lager? Cant see how it would be much diff from JWTA, which what I have used prior for my aussie lagers, its the same colour etc, just saves me ordering another sack of grain.

Simpsons MO has a maltier, chewer, nuttier taste than JWTA. I don't think it would be ideal for a aussie lager.

Might be a bit biscuity which in my experience is not a great character in lighter AU styles.

Cheers lads! Is JWTA about the best for an oz lager? I’ve been thru a few sacks of JWEP, but always got poor/lower efficiency than with JWTA. Normal?

Just trialling my first Maris Otter pale ale. I bought a sack out if curiosity. Findings?

1. It was different, and a pleasure to sparge. The husks are larger and it actually stuck in balls in the mash tun. Physically different than any other base malt I've used

2. It leaves a few fine husk particles that can't settle out within a finished beer

3. It is difficult to drop clear. I cold crashed much longer than normal and it still didn't drop crystal clear. There is more sediment in bottles as a result of that

4. I exceeded starting gravity by quite a few points so efficiency is very good

5. Colour is magnificent, a really nice shade of gold

6. Aroma is nice and 'nutty'. It's similar to an ale malt but 'huskier' and dank. You can taste the difference in both eating grains side by side and of course in final product.

7. It's made the tastiest pale I've made to date, by far

It's safe to say that I love Maris Otter! It has a complexity that has been missing in my beers to date. Bad news is: I feel shedhouse because I just can't stop drinking it.. it's so good that it's bad for me! I just want to keep drinking more. What a great malt

Just trialling my first Maris Otter pale ale. I bought a sack out if curiosity. Findings?

1. It was different, and a pleasure to sparge. The husks are larger and it actually stuck in balls in the mash tun. Physically different than any other base malt I've used

2. It leaves a few fine husk particles that can't settle out within a finished beer

3. It is difficult to drop clear. I cold crashed much longer than normal and it still didn't drip crystal clear. There is nore sediment in bottles as a result of that

4. I exceeded starting gravity by quite a few points so efficiency is very good

5. Colour is magnificent, a really nice shade of gold

6. Aroma is nice and 'nutty'. It's similar to an ale malt but 'huskier' and dank. You can taste the difference in both eating grains side by side and of course in final product.

7. It's made the tastiest pale I've made to date, by far

It's safe to say that I love Maris Otter! It has a complexity that has been missing in my beers to date. Bad news is: I feel shedhouse because I just can't stop drinking it.. it's so good that it's bad for me! I just want to keep drinking more. What a great malt

I DKWTF happened here I attempted to post as a"1st reply" then iut fails and shows multiple replies, I'll review those before posting further comment.
MJ

Last edited:
PS. I bought the Thomas Faucet' and will do again. No desire to try another brand at this stage

PS. I bought the Thomas Faucet' and will do again. No desire to try another brand at this stage
TF MO is quality gear, if your brew isn't up to scratch; your process, gear or bloke in the mirror have fallen short.

attention to detail beyond mash is essential to a good out come.

Re point 3/
Do a longer boil, 90 minutes minimum, preferably 120 minutes.
MO is one of the oldest malting varieties still in production, it really benefits from a longer boil, if your wort isn't coming out of the kettle crystal clear odds on you haven't really done the job properly.
Probably more important with the TF MO as it is floor malted, probably likely to be a bit more random in its modification.
Mind you if you have grain husks getting into the kettle, let alone the fermenter and packaging - you have process issues that seriously need addressing.
Mark

That is interesting point MHB. I don't use a 90 minute boil, I use a 60 but I do let it settle about 20 minutes and then whirlpool. Always crystal clear wort.

Is that a heat related effect for the older varieties?

I have noticed Gordon Strong has a similar view of TF MO as MHB. Gordon Strong goes for the Crisp MO, of which we don't have a supplier of in Victoria even though it is available in NSW.

Latest posts

Back