Maris Otter as base malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeye84

Reaction score
Hi all, have been reading good things about Maris Otter, Thinking of changing the base I use to MO from JW Trad. Pale, do i need to change the other ingredients too. Lets say if im doing a pale ale with 20% munich would i dial it back a bit to make way for the MO?

Im just struggling to get the real strong malty backbone you get with a commercial pale ale. Like in LCPA or fat yak.

I'd say yes, I'd dial it back. Maybe take it back to 10% and see how you go.

Maris Otter has a rep as a fairly "malty" malt. More so than JW Ale.

If you're chasing some extra "malt" flavour, you could also look to adding some specialty grain, such as CaraPils.

Just did a 100% MO ESB brew last weekend (courtesy of Fullpint! )...smelled hella malty but delicious all the same =D

Do a brew with all maris then trick it up with munich to taste once you know what the MO does.

Great base malt.

As an interesting note - maris refers to the strain of barley rather than the level of kilning (as opposed to munich or vienna for example) so you may find some differences between brands but all the available ones I know of use it for pale/ale malt. Thomas fawcett, Simpsons, etc

Most modern Australian "craft / boutique / microbrewery" beers are based loosely on American styles, and UK malts such as Maris Otter, Pearl etc are perfect for APAs, American IPAs, Ambers.
So they work well in the likes of a Fat Yak.

I do use JW or BB as a base malt but they work best in Blonde Ales, American Wheats, Cream Ales etc that are more "delicate".

A wonderful MO if you can get your hands on it is Simpson's Maris Otter but I believe it's imported by Bintani as opposed to Cryer so hard to find. You don't put your location in the side bar, but I did get some from ESB in Sydney last year.

Edit, would also recommend mashing a tad higher for body.. say 67° .. so you can chuck in an extra half kilo without affecting the alcohol content too much.

Brewmart in Perth has Simpson MO on their website, just gave them a call one bag left.. dibs!.. Is it hard to get usually? Makes sense tho, JWTA for blondes then SMO for pales.... Pretty keen to give it a go..

Last pale i did was..
75% JW TA
20% JW Munich
5% SM Crystal Med
mashed at 67c
Wyeast 1272

with a decent hop bill & I felt it could have used more maltyness..

Do you think

75% MO
20% JW Munich
5% SM Crystal Med
mash@67c

Would go ok?

I would highly recommend using marris otter as base malt. I have used it often for IPA and doubleIPA. I have only used Simpson..I think.. I get it from esb here in Sydney but they'll ship anywhere.
If you can get your hands on Muntons "Flagon" pale male thats a treat also.
I like a bit of crystal with MO. But I have used a grain bill of up to 80% MO and maybe around 15% Munich, and the rest something else..turned out great!

Bribie G said:
A wonderful MO if you can get your hands on it is Simpson's Maris Otter but I believe it's imported by Bintani as opposed to Cryer so hard to find.
I don't fully understand that comment.

Most LHBS's would stock a range of products from both suppliers.

Just a conversation recently with one retailer that they prefer to deal with Cryer who are supportive of retailers, and have given the other mob the arse, as Bintani will sell direct to the public (bulk buys). However that was just from one retailer. I think I heard something similar from another very large retailer. Maybe things have changed, certainly hope so as I really like Simpsons, as well as coming from my home turf in the NE of England.

maris otter bamburgh.jpg

rockeye84 said:
Brewmart in Perth has Simpson MO on their website, just gave them a call one bag left.. dibs!.. Is it hard to get usually? Makes sense tho, JWTA for blondes then SMO for pales.... Pretty keen to give it a go..

Last pale i did was..
75% JW TA
20% JW Munich
5% SM Crystal Med
mashed at 67c
Wyeast 1272

Do you think

75% MO
20% JW Munich
5% SM Crystal Med
mash@67c

Would go ok?
I'd try
95% MO
5% Crystal Med
just to get your taste buds primed for MO. I think 20% munich would interfere too much with the MO. Let the MO stand out

I have been using MO for about 12 months as my base malt, cant get enough

rockeye84 said:

Last pale i did was..
75% JW TA
20% JW Munich
5% SM Crystal Med
mashed at 67c
Wyeast 1272

Do you think

75% MO
20% JW Munich
5% SM Crystal Med
mash@67c

Would go ok?
$85 , wow that exy.

rockeye84 said:

Im just struggling to get the real strong malty backbone you get with a commercial pale ale. Like in LCPA or fat yak.
This could be due to the mash schedule and not necessarily the malt. If you can step-mash (BM users take note!) my 4% beers feel like 5% beers with this:

mash in at 55
40mins at 63
50mins at 70
15mins at 77

malty and full-bodied mouth feel.

DeGarre said:
This could be due to the mash schedule and not necessarily the malt. If you can step-mash (BM users take note!) my 4% beers feel like 5% beers with this:

mash in at 55
40mins at 63
50mins at 70
15mins at 77

malty and full-bodied mouth feel.
I can vouch for this mash schedule, I tried it when I saw it posted in another thread. The head retention and mouth feel was awesome.

I tend to use a lot of Munich 1 to beef up my lighter beers, but I have been thinking what my next base malt should be and I think I am sold on getting a sack of MO.

Around 80 seems to be the "east coast" sack price on quick perusal of the dealers. Not too bad considering we're on the other side of the rock. Have paid $70 for plain old JW at a smaller LHBS last year, volume volume volume I suppose.

Bribie G said:
Around 80 seems to be the "east coast" sack price on quick perusal of the dealers. Not too bad considering we're on the other side of the rock. Have paid $70 for plain old JW at a smaller LHBS last year, volume volume volume I suppose.
It is interesting the price variations between the west and east coast on some things. Like you say I guess it is all to do with demand because there is a retailer in Perth advertising Simpson MO 25kg bags at $59 :huh: .

Bribie G said:
Biards MO is a lot cheaper on both sides and from one of the oldest maltsters anywhere.

Latest posts

Back