Maris Otter as base malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeh ive been doing..

53 for 10min
67 for 60min
70 for 15min
78 for 15min

What I dont understand how the below shedule wouldn't make a thinner beer, as mashing at 63c gives high fermentablitiy right? Wouldnt most of the sugars be converted in the first 40mins? Can someone explain how this shed. leads to a full bodied beer.

DeGarre said:
This could be due to the mash schedule and not necessarily the malt. If you can step-mash (BM users take note!) my 4% beers feel like 5% beers with this:

mash in at 55
40mins at 63
50mins at 70
15mins at 77

malty and full-bodied mouth feel.

A lot of these rests can be shortened to achieve the same result.
Depends on results and personal taste but hochkurz mashes for example will work on both enzyme sets and are much shorter.
Alpha amylase works quicker than beta comparatively (ie when either is optimised, alpha will complete its job quicker than beta). Both have preferred pH ranges too.
If your alpha rest is too long, you give beta a chance to keep working, if your beta rest is too long, you leave less for alpha.
My beta rests are between 10 and 15 minutes - 15 is for a drier beer like a saison. Alpha rests are usually around 40-45. Used to be 50 but I dropped it back (results haven't changed much) and I could probably lessen it even more but I enjoy the time away from the mash.

Alpha is a bitch. OT for this thread but when I do a cereal mash with rice or maize and pour some base malt into the thick gluggy porridge to yield a mash at 72 degrees, it almost instantly turns it into thin runny dextrin soup as the alpha blitzes it. Often only thirty seconds.

If I had to choose one base malt ever (you know, deserted island with butane cooker and my big w pots) it would be either Bairds Perle Ale or TFFMMO. Works with American, English and with a bit of tweaking even german ales.

Just bought a sack of Pearl. Actually TF floor version.

Perle is a bit like rice gulls, a typo that strangled many a kitten. I see that Ross still has it listed as Perle on his site.. probably a confusion with the German Hop Perle.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
If I had to choose one base malt ever (you know, deserted island with butane cooker and my big w pots) it would be either Bairds Perle Ale or TFFMMO. Works with American, English and with a bit of tweaking even german ales.
Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted Maris Otter (TFFMMO) is such a popular malt.

I thought I was getting some good info out of you lot, now I remember how subjective brewing is and I'm back to square one! :p

At least it seems MO is a good base malt regardless.

Don't mention the Golden Promise :ph34r:

Maris Otter is excellent. This isn't actually the name just of the malt believe it or not, the various strains such as MO, GP, Pearl etc are the barley varieties used so the final product can vary from maltster to maltster.

I'll mention the Golden Promise - love it...

My one desert island malt would be Golden Promise.

Or Maris Otter

Or muntons mild

Or Halcyon

But then there's castle Pilsen ...

I doubt if I could ever choose just the one. It's not procrastination, just some other fancy word

I remember when BB first became availble

What a great base malt it turned out to be.

Most base malts will do exactly what you want them to do...

Jeezuz...You could buy JWM Pilsner & JWM Ale...and the EBC was 4 points different...

Yeah, not much difference and I did an ABA with JWM Pilsner and it worked fantastically well. Just slightly increased the crystal just to make it maltier.

I have an occasional but free source of it down the road.

Admittedly random meanderings, but mention of Maris Otter took me back a few decades to when the only holiday jobs around were plucking (notice the spelling) turkeys or cleaning out the mash tuns at Butcombe Brewery and sterilizing the barrels. Happy days - perhaps not for the turkeys

Anyways, back on topic, just look up the beers that win/place at the Great Britsh Beer Festival year after year - Maris Otter is a pretty much the daddy malt for British bitters

I think you should not use maris otter as a base malt. I'll help you out,send any you have to me and I'll get 'rid' of it. Horrid stuff :p

Can't go wrong with MO IMHO. I used that for a few years exclusively, when all I brewed were uk ales. Tried a few different brands, all great. Since moving I haven't quite got them as good as I'd like. Even though Im only 7 or 8 kms away I'm sure I haven't quite figured out the water yet. I'm keen to sort it out though, I miss a good mild, have been brewing Belgians for a while. Love them, but the mild is dragging me back!. Ironically my next one will use wey pils, as I have no ale malt. Ah well.

Great thread. Convinced me that my next APA is going to have a MO base, dumped on my ESB washed yeast.

manticle said:
A lot of these rests can be shortened to achieve the same result.
I nicked this from braukaiser.com and have used it since early Jan, I also get consistently 90+% mash efficiency and I think it is because of the longer rests. Who knows, but I'm in no hurry when I brew so don't mind the longer schedule.

Latest posts

Back