March 809 Spash Guard 4" Or 6" Pvc?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I've built a simple splash guard for my March 809 utilising 4" PVC:
march1.jpg

A couple of side shots:
march2.jpg

march3.jpg

I'm wondering for those using a guard, what size of PVC did you settle on?
Any heat or overheating issues with 4"?

I'd selected 4" as I had it around the house. The day I finished the project (including rattle can flat black and installation) a tube of 6" landed on my doorstep, which likely would've been my first choice.

I suppose the benefit to 4" is better splash coverage as is closer to the housing itself. Just a bit concerned with the unit and heat issues. Certainly something I can test for myself at next brewday, just thought others may have already travelled this road.

Thanks,

reVox

Can't help you with an answer sorry, but I had to chime in and say thats looking mighty schmik. Never would have thought about doing it like that. I missed out on the BB but called Karl at PP and he is seeing what he can do for me, so I will be adopting that spalsh guard idea.
Cheers
Sully

Should be ok, as you have not obstructed the motor cooling fan (3rd photo). It is the motor that usually requires cooling on these type of small pumps, and you still have an unobstructed path allowing air to be drawn over it. Should be fine.

Cheers

SJ

I find it amazing that just as I have a question to ask, somebody beats me to it (and then gets it answered perfectly!)

I was wondering myself if I could get away with some 4" pipe - and by the looks of it there shall be no problems with it :)

Mine is seen here - not fully covered, no probs at all with overheating or the inundation of liquids

Linky

Cheers
JSB

Hi gang,

I've built a simple splash guard for my March 809 utilising 4" PVC:
march1.jpg

A couple of side shots:
march2.jpg

march3.jpg

I'm wondering for those using a guard, what size of PVC did you settle on?
Any heat or overheating issues with 4"?

I'd selected 4" as I had it around the house. The day I finished the project (including rattle can flat black and installation) a tube of 6" landed on my doorstep, which likely would've been my first choice.

I suppose the benefit to 4" is better splash coverage as is closer to the housing itself. Just a bit concerned with the unit and heat issues. Certainly something I can test for myself at next brewday, just thought others may have already travelled this road.

Thanks,

reVox

G'day reVox,

Great idea & you certainly are doing a nice neat job on your rig. :super:

I'll play devil's advocate here & wonder if the vibration from the pump will work the PVC cover loose?
Easily fixed though with a couple of ss strips pop riveted onto the PVC with holes to fit over the inlet & outlet threads of the pump & everything tightened up.
Hopefully I'm wrong & you will not have a vibration problem & that means less work for you? :)

TP :beer:

Hey thanks fellas for the positive feedback. Seems I'll be OK.

Here's how I did mine:
march4.jpg

Found some brackets around the house (to better stabilise/support the bottom of splash guard) & pop rivited them to the 809 mount. I believe they sell the mounts at G&G, fwiw.

march5.jpg

mount attached to pump. I next cut a tooth out of the 4" PVC approx 4mm narrower than the SS mount. In that way, it slips over the pump up to the mount and I have to grab both sides of the PVC and flex it or stretch it so it pulls over the mount. It effectively clamps itself to the mount, for lack of a better term. Quite snugly, too.

done:
march6.jpg

A "U" shaped bracket that bolts to both the pump mount and PVC might work better. I just didn't have a "U" bracket around the house and couldn't be stuffed with a trip to the hardware store. I may ammend this in future, if required.

Cheers all,

reVox

reVox,

I just bolted my ss splashguard between the ss bracket & the brewframe itself with an insert of 5mm rubber sheet to dampen any vibration that might occur (Probably overkill I know). :)

reVox,

I just bolted my ss splashgard between the ss bracket & the brewframe itself with an insert of 5mm rubber sheet to dampen any vibration that might occur (Probably overkill I know). :)

Sweet. Sounds like a great idea. Maybe overkill but I dig the simplicity in solution, so why not? Thanks again for further mounting suggestion. I'm hoping to brew tomorrow so we'll see how she flies. Cheers TP.

reVox

Thank you so much for this post! I was in the process of thinking "how am I going to stop splashing sticky sugary solution on my march pump", when I found this post.

So, I did pretty similar to what you did except I made mine a little longer.

Images attached, hopefully ;)

pump_01.jpg

pump_housing.jpg

pump_03.jpg

pump_04.jpg

pump_05.jpg

All of these are very good ideas! Please keep the pics coming!

Latest posts

Back