Manin' Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white.grant

tum te tum
Reaction score
So, is anyone planning to stump up the $150 for a brewdog TN penguin? I'd go a 15th share with you!

Slowbeer has sold out so I guess someone must have.

Really? Bugger. Well I'm looking forward to the What's in the glass (commercial).

Maybe on the Daimler board or something.

What a crazy idea... who want 32% beer??? I have had 9% beer before and it was not refreshing!!

Lemon sorbet is refreshing.

Weird Imperial Stout Eisbock things are probably not bred with the parched individual in mind.

And why don't we make one ourselves? - err, why are we just a passive, chattering class, forum - let's got ooot there an bruuuu

Anyone remember Braveheart?

BTW Bum - Ah can heerya noo, tha'accent iss comin thru leeps an booonds :icon_cheers:

edit - geordie tryin tei teipe scotts

And why don't we make one ourselves? - err, why are we just a passive, chattering class, forum - let's got ooot there an bruuuu

but would it be legal?
or is there a loophole for ice distilled beer?

Why a beer that retails for 30 pound (50 AUD) is being sold for 3 times its price here ill never know.

Also I am astonished that a beer of that strength does not have a resealable lid.

apparently the price is made up of 58% tax's. wether thats our excise or not i have no idea.

if i had the spare cash i'd buy on just to say i tried it to the grandkids.

Anyone remember Braveheart?

BTW Bum - Ah can heerya noo, tha'accent iss comin thru leeps an booonds :icon_cheers:

edit - geordie tryin tei teipe scotts

and failing.............. :lol:

It'd better no be shite at that price.

No distillation involved. It's just partially freezing the beer and then draining off the liquid.

Since alcohol freezes at a lower temp than the water, the water freezes first and you end up with beer concentrate.
There are some places - in the USA I think - that count that as distillation and its illegal.

Edit: As per what Wiki says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_freezing
"Fractional freezing can be used as a simple method to increase the alcohol concentration in fermented alcoholic beverages, a process sometimes called freeze distillation. Examples are applejack, made from hard cider, and ice beer. Freeze distillation of alcoholic beverages is illegal in many countries, as it can concentrate poisonous compounds, for example fusel alcohols, in the original fermented beverage to unhealthy levels; heated distillation methods tend to eliminate these more harmful fermentation products"

There are some places - in the USA I think - that count that as distillation and its illegal.

Edit: As per what Wiki says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_freezing
"Fractional freezing can be used as a simple method to increase the alcohol concentration in fermented alcoholic beverages, a process sometimes called freeze distillation. Examples are applejack, made from hard cider, and ice beer. Freeze distillation of alcoholic beverages is illegal in many countries, as it can concentrate poisonous compounds, for example fusel alcohols, in the original fermented beverage to unhealthy levels; heated distillation methods tend to eliminate these more harmful fermentation products"

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Back