Mangrove Jacks Craft Series

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimac23

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering whether anyone had brewed any of the Mangrove Jacks new "Craft Series" kits yet.

I was in the LHBS the other day and the owner said that they had only had them in for about 2 weeks, the kits we're nearly $50 each so for that price you'd expect something good.

Has anyone tried any of these kits as yet?

What also surprised me is that when you buy the kit, I would have expected everything needed to brew would be included in the box but 3 out of the 5 need additional ingredients as pointed out to me by the shop owner, so if you do buy any of these kits then be sure to look at the side and see if anything else is needed for the kit you are buying.

I put one on yesterday. Local brew shop had some in the bargain bin (going over date) for a tenner, so I stuck an IPA on pretty haphazardly with a kilo of coopers brew enhancer 2 and us-05 yeast. No idea how it'll turn out...

4lex, don't the craft series kits come with mangrove jack's craft series yeasts?

For $50 you can buy a Fresh Wort Kit.

Hell, for $50 you can buy 25kg of grain!

Nick JD said:
For $50 you can buy a Fresh Wort Kit.

Hell, for $50 you can buy 25kg of grain!
That's exactly what i was thinking, the craft series are the "New" Mangrove jacks kits, they do come with the craft series yeast but they definitely seem a bit steep, for your $50 you get some extract, some hops and the yeast.

Can get the G&G FWK's for $45 at the local HBS here, so cant see the point in these.

Got a Premium Lager kit from LHB for around $18, although the guy in the shop didn't tell me they were out of date by a month... A bit dirty about this but I guess I should have checked, buyer beware etc.

Put it down a week ago, but if it's not amazing I won't buy again considering I got the kit cheap. First go at steeping in some grain so I guess it will be hard to isolate the taste to just the kit.

Yeah fresh wort is close in price to even the cutdown special price for this kit when you add in malt etc

sp0rk said:
4lex, don't the craft series kits come with mangrove jack's craft series yeasts?
Yeah, but it was out of date, so I binned it. Dunno if that made any sense, but I have started making some notes, so when I come to taste it in 3 months or so we'll see if it worked out :)

About to bottle the gold ale. It's my first kit, so no high expectations.

The kit didn't say anything about extra ingredients, but i wouldn't know what else to add. Came with 2x LME packs, cascade pellets, some sort of ale yeast.
Got it as a part of their starter kit.

I'll come back and post the result as long as I dont mess it up somehow :)

Has anyone had a go at one of the new MJ's Brewery Boxes yet? There are six recipes available.

http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-brewery-box

I bought the “Lord Finster” Dark Best Bitter on the weekend to brew for a mate of mine. The box contained:

3 kg of liquid malt
10 g Burton Union yeast
50 g of hops - Target & Summit for dry hopping (unspecified amounts but I’m guessing 25 g of each)
Hop bag/strainer.

This recipe also requires you buy 500 g of dextrose separately.

Normally my LHBS sell these for $49.50 but they had 35% off this month so I got it for $32. I’ll let yas know how it turns out.

Just dropped the MJ british ale yeast into a oatmeal stout. will feremnt at 18*c and report back when she's matured

Latest posts

Back