Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched the Newcastle dark ale on a mild on Monday night, no rehydration. Visibly fermenting 12 hours later and last night (3 days later) krausen has dropped and looks like it's all finished. Dropped my bloody hydrometer, so can't test gravity yet, but samples seem pretty damn good.

I cracked a keg of APA using the West Coast M44 and I'm pretty bloody impressed so far. I ran it at 19' and low esters. Hops are shining through. I think I have found my new APA yeast. Currently running through the range from Nev at online brewing supplies and have the Bavarian wheat to go next, then going to try the Bohemian larger yeast.

The British Ale is also really good.

So far, I've enjoyed all of these.

Well the pale ale I made with M44 is infected with aceto (I think). The blame lies somewhere between my slapdash sanitation and the 48hrs the yeast took to get going, it's a damn shame tho.

bloody M44 up to its usual long lag time. :unsure:

I had previously used this on 2 other occasions, it ferments clean and flocs great....but jesus it takes ages to get going.

all my beers are AG, chilled to17c.......adding pure O2 for 60 seconds then pitching yeast.

1 time re hydrated 1 packet and took 36hrs... on a Pale Ale - 5.2%
2 time re hydrated 2 packets and took 50hrs...on a IPA - 7%

3rd time was yesterday morning - direct pitch into 18c wort, stirred in....24hrs later still not fermenting ( taken gravity sample ) ...on a Mid Strength 3.5%

if it didn't ferment so clean and floc out id totally write this yeast off.....the only thing is that the delayed start to ferment creates that risk for infection.

speaking of that, has anyone ever seen like clumps of what look like proteins the size of a 10c piece at the surface of the wort? ( used brew bright during the whirlpool....

I've got 2 packs of Newcastle dark, and one more burton union left. Some mixed reviews however it seems that long lag times generally haven't caused infection issues for most. I liked the burton in the beer I made with it, though next time I'll keep it a bit cooler, under 20c. Got a cube of mild I'm going to use the Newcastle dark with. Just waiting for a stupid lager to hurry and slowly finish so I can use the ferm fridge. Though in this weather I could probably leave it on the kitchen bench!

Pratty1 said:
bloody M44 up to its usual long lag time. :unsure:

I had previously used this on 2 other occasions, it ferments clean and flocs great....but jesus it takes ages to get going.

all my beers are AG, chilled to17c.......adding pure O2 for 60 seconds then pitching yeast.
A test I did many years ago using O2 and a Dissolved Oxygen Meter showed that dried yeast took longer to get going in oxygenated wort. Do a search if you like for the full results. Also on Utube here

Screwy

Last edited by a moderator:
Screwtop said:
A test I did many years ago using O2 and a Dissolved Oxygen Meter showed that dried yeast took longer to get going in oxygenated wort. Do a search if you like for the full results. Also on Utube here

Screwy

I will look that up, thanks screwtop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pitched in the Mangrove Jacks British Ale yeast into my latest brew, a pale ale, yesterday afternoon. Almost no signs of activity yet - for most of that time the bubble in the airlock has indicated more pressure from the outside than from the inside! I pitched when the wort was about 20 degrees and chucked in a couple of raisins for natural nutrient.

I think the yeast is having a bit of a sook because of cold temps overnight; I'm going to keep the brew at a fairly steady 20 degrees or so today to give the yeast a chance to work up some steam. If it's still doing nothing in a day or so I'll chuck in some nutrient.

I'm a bit afraid to check mine - we had a 1 degree night last night (it's in the hotwater system cupboard, though) and I'm not sure if it has taken off or even wants to.

If not, I have some s33 to cover, but I really didn't want to use that. Maybe Belle Saison at 19 degrees or so will be a neutral yeast, but bummer if it doesn't work out.

I've got the Bavarian wheat going at the moment. Pitched one pack and 12 hours after pitching, thick krausen. So far, the west coast ale has been the only one lagging for me. Though, it's worth the wait.

Tim- did you boil the raisins first to kill any wild yeasties?

No, never had any problems with that before though.

Have just given my demijohn a bit of a swirl. Temp in this room must be nudging 18-19 at the moment, so it's a good yeast environment.

I've got an attempted wild yeast starter from the same wort on the shelf above it - some apple peel and a bit of wort I saved in a jar. So it's a race!

I brewed a Saison the week before Easter and used the M27 Belgian with a couple of hours rehydration. Pitched at 22 and then raised it to 24 and it kicked into action almost immediately. Kegged and bottled on Easter Monday. Sampled it on 3 May and was most impressed with the result. I harvested some yeast which I intend to whack in a mid-strength galaxy pale that I am developing.

Watching yeast do its thang is a bit like watching grass grow.... after the swirl one set of bubbles stayed on the top and didn't go away. My excuse is I've been working in the same room as my demijohns. Yeah, not good enough I suppose.

Now, this evening, I think I can see one or two other pricks of bubbles on the surface.... maybe the very first signs of a fermentation gathering. Damn it's slow though!

Bought a thermometer into the room - at head height it's sitting at about 19 degrees, at floor height (with the demijohns) it's just about 16, so maybe it's still a wee bit miffed by the temps.

Pitched 2 rehydrated packs of the Burton Union yeast into 23L of 1.055 Riggwelter clone wort at 20C. Mashed at 66C.
Checked after 18 hours and a small krausen was forming.
After about 36 hours had a krausen of 40mm thick. Didn't get any bigger which surprised me. I usually use 1469 for my pommy ales and the krausen can be huge.
After 6 days it was at 1.017.
Lifted my ferment temperature from 20C to 22C for 4 days and it got down to 1.015. Left it a couple of more days but it didn't drop any further so attenuation was 72%.
Would have like a little more.
Drinking the beer now and it is very nice. Has hints of vanilla(?) and still has a dry finish even though the attenuation was only 72%.
Tastes like a pommy ale should.
Would use again.

I nurtured mine through the night on the heat pad and it has FINALLY decided to start fermentation.

The funny thing is I put my attempt at wild yeast cultivation from apple peel on the heat pad too and it has also decided to start fermentation! The race has finished in a dead heat, ladies and gentlemen! :beer:

Pitched M44 on my latest IPA 1.061 last night. First time using mangrove jacks and hopefully it turns out well. Hoping for 1.011 FG.

Edak said:
Pitched M44 on my latest IPA 1.061 last night. First time using mangrove jacks and hopefully it turns out well. Hoping for 1.011 FG.
Is it fermenting yet?

Just tasted M79 from the fermenter at 1.012 (I had a high mash on this baby, so not unexpected).

I've read about some belgian-esque esters and I think I've got those. It's tasty, and there is some british beer style esters in it, but definitely that cloveyness (phenols) and a little fruity banana thing - not massive, but there.

Impressions out of the fermenter are good, no bitterness just a good solid beer, is this mild, should be a cracker.

Will update when it's ready to drink.

Since mine took so damn long to start (in comparison to the yeasts I've used in the past at least) I'd be interested in hearing folks' experiences with lag times between yeast pitch and fermentation starting.

Third day after fermentation beginning, mine is still going strong. Right now it's throwing off strong appley aromas, which has got to be a good thing! (What with the , the attempted wild yeast fermentation from apple peel, the cider, and now this, my study is a very appley place at the moment). No signs of it slowing either, it definitely seems a yeast bred for a long, patient fermentation. Awaiting the results eagerly!

I've got a cube of mild in the fridge, cooling to 16-18c. Got the jug boiled and cooling some water down to 30c. Will add Newcastle yeast to water then add to fridge to cool. Don't want to leave it too long so after 15 mins I'll pitch it into the wort, and put everything back in the fridge. Not sure how adding warm yeast to colder wort will go, seems like a bad idea, but I've also read not to leave the rehydrated yeast too long before pitching. Whenever I rehydrate dry yeast I always rehydrate at 30+, then add to 18c wort with no problems so...

I'm planning on keeping it under 20c. Will update. Loving the updates in this thread. Very valuable info.

Latest posts

Back