Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fletcher said:
sorry if this has been asked of you before now jyo, but what was your dark mild recipe when using this yeast? would you mind sharing?
Sure, mate. The late hops aren't to style, but who cares! Also, it's actually on the light end for colour. You wouldn't believe this keg blew tonight. Sadness.

Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.150
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.037 (°P): 9.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.20 %
Colour (SRM): 14.3 (EBC): 28.2
Bitterness (IBU): 22.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 71
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Barrett Burston Ale (84.34%)
0.300 kg Bairds Dark Crystal (7.23%)
0.200 kg Brown Malt (4.82%)
0.100 kg Acidulated Malt (2.41%)
0.050 kg Chocolate (1.2%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
30.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 21°C with MJ Newcastle dark Ale

jyo said:
Sure, mate. The late hops aren't to style, but who cares! Also, it's actually on the light end for colour. You wouldn't believe this keg blew tonight. Sadness.

Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.150
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.037 (°P): 9.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.20 %
Colour (SRM): 14.3 (EBC): 28.2
Bitterness (IBU): 22.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 71
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Barrett Burston Ale (84.34%)
0.300 kg Bairds Dark Crystal (7.23%)
0.200 kg Brown Malt (4.82%)
0.100 kg Acidulated Malt (2.41%)
0.050 kg Chocolate (1.2%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
30.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 21°C with MJ Newcastle dark Ale
thanks mate! might try it or something very similar. legend! :)

TimT said:
Conclusions? I think the cold weather is knocking them about a bit; the MJ yeasts seem to be a bit lazy and eccentric (sometimes the fermentation will slow down and then speed up again!), but they definitely give nice/interesting results.
Cold weather, aka temperature, is a huge variable in yeast performance.

I pitched the US West Coast MJ yeast onto a pale ale on Monday and as of this morning it still hasn't shown a single visible sign of fermentation.

40 hours!

Forever Wort said:
I pitched the US West Coast MJ yeast onto a pale ale on Monday and as of this morning it still hasn't shown a single visible sign of fermentation.

40 hours!
M44 will do that, I have waited 56hrs before seeing any signs of fermentation.

Im at 4 days after pitching m84 yeast and still not a puff. I actually got a box of 10 at this years Craft Brewing conference, and I've committed now all 10 packs, along with 2 x their West Coast. This now a rescue mission. I won't be touching this stuff again.

My second go on the British Ale yeast (M07) took FIVE days to start properly, but in the end it did a decent job. You've just gotta take into account that some of these yeasts have a truly long lag time.

just had a sample of my beer while bottling, made a big chinook/simcoe/centennial ipa using m44 and holy crap. amazing. it really accentuates the hop character and after cold crashing my FV, it has formed a tight and compact trub allowing me to lose only 250mL from the bottling process (started from 19L). very very happy with it so far. will definitely use this again over us-05 if it is still tasting this great in a few weeks. has me excited to try the english varieties.

Are you guys rehydrating the yeast? I've used all of the MJ yeasts and the longest lag time was 48 hours however I did rehydrate the yeast in 3/4 cup of water for 20 minutes first.

I have not rehydrated yet. Long lag times. Wondering if putting it in a starter would aid in getting it going quicker?

I don't make a starter but I do rehydrate, not long before I pitch. Don't know whether it really makes a difference - making a starter might.

Doesn't it just rehydrate in the wort anyway?

I understand there's a thread o' doom somewhere about the to hydrate or not hydrate debate, maybe just link to that....

I rehydrated Mangrove Jacks, as I do most of the time (though sometimes I still just chuck it in).

There's a thread about the pros and cons of both (and some passionate arguing of same).

This is more about performance of these yeasts, rather than rehydrating an existing debate.

2 times I've used the MJ dark ale. First I rehydrated ( I prefer to rehydrate dry yeast ), wasn't the quickest start but got going, second one was a bit last minute, so just sprinkled on top. Next morning it was kranking. Second batch was also pitched with brettanomyces, but I highly doubt it had anything to do with the beer kranking. In fact I doubt it's doing anything still ( been about a week ), it works very slowly.

I'd prefer to rehydrate, but the sprinkle method worked well in the second batch.

One thing to remember is that a lot of people report long lag times, but for the high amount of long lag times reported, we don't see many threads about infected beers with these yeast strains.

TimT said:
Doesn't it just rehydrate in the wort anyway?
Not the same, mate. The yeast are "working" in wort, in rehydration their warming up for the work.

Drinking the oatmeal stout i fermented with the MJ british ale yeast, I did not rehydrate the yeast and i had activity within 24 hours.

As for the stout itself.. *takes sip*..*holds it*...smooth/ oily from the oats, as per norm. Hints of the EKG...Chocolate gives way to some roasted bitterness. A nice yeast that accentuates the malt, but doesn't outright smack you on the face with it like a stripper at the club. A yeast that would indeed be suitable to British styles. No significant quantity of phenols or diacetyl detected. WOuld buy again.

PItched rehydrated Burton Union on Saturday afternoon, had surface bubbles/start of krausen the next morning.

Forgot to check it until last night (4 days after pitching) and I have a nice billowy krausen and it has dropped almost 30 points.

So, I've noticed nothing different to US05 etc and will definitely try other yeasts in this range.

Back