Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excuse my very limited yeast knowledge, but isn't there still stuff happening that we might not be able to "see" wit M44? so this lag we speak of isn't exactly a lag but just extended adaptation? is this always problematic?

fletcher said:
excuse my very limited yeast knowledge, but isn't there still stuff happening that we might not be able to "see" wit M44? so this lag we speak of isn't exactly a lag but just extended adaptation? is this always problematic?
Correct.

Used the M44 in a red APA and the M10 in a pale ale on the weekend . Both had a krausen when i checked 12 hrs later.Both pitched and fermenting at 16-18c. Sprinkled yeast on top of both too. Assuming the yeasts are reasonably fresh how is it that people are getting such wildly varying results? What fletcher says makes sense but using the same yeast should produce similar results no?

It does seem counterintuitive but yeah, as has been mentioned, just because there are no visible signs, does it mean nothing is happening?. A few people have mentioned once they see activity they're almost done, so they may well be doing something.

I'm still happy with the mild I fermented with the dark ale yeast. Attenuation could have been better, but I can adjust for that. I think it'd work in a bitter too.

One sure fire way to check if it "happening" is by doing a pH test, yes I know its a black art but it works.
You are looking for a drop in pH, more acidic.
Visual signs are not accurate.

Nev

I usually check the gravity daily with a refracto to make sure its still fermenting. I also like to taste how the brew is progressing also. You notice how the sweetness fades out when they are almost done. I also find that when I do dark beers there is no thick stuff on the top of the fermenter. Just murky wort until it drops out. Anyone else get that? Prob off topic. Lol

New brew, a fairly high gravity old ale on the MJ Newcastle yeast. Pitched the yeast last night; it took off over night, and some of the yeast appears to have climbed into the airlock and left its mark there. I wonder why the apparent disparity between the MJ British Ale yeast and the MJ Newcastle yeast?

TimT said:
I wonder why the apparent disparity between the MJ British Ale yeast and the MJ Newcastle yeast?
Just different yeasts probably, mate.

Different yeasts from the same manufacturer will usually behave very differently.

True, though I was wondering about what Franks said on p. 12 of this thread

In the discussions on rehydration I read something for safyeast that said they make sure that their yeast has the maximum reserves before drying it out. For this reason they suggest that the yeast is pitched within half an hour of rehydration so it uses the reserves effectively.

What are the chances that Mangrove Jacks don't follow the same procedure? It might mean these yeasts need a small starter after rehydration to get them going.

That would explain the lag time on the British Ale one but definitely not on the Newcastle one.

Meh, guess you're right, I'm liking these yeasts anyway.

Interesting, just cracked my first pale ale fermented on the MJ British Ale yeast today. Just had it at room temperature (about 10 degrees). Cloudy (then again I couldn't be arsed throwing in Irish Moss into this brew). The carbonation was strong, and the yeasty tastes.... well, a little of the apple esters remained, but the strongest taste coming through was the same bready vibe I got after sampling a saison fermented on the MJ Belgian Ale yeast. I wonder if there's a way of conserving the apple esters and making sure they don't all evaporate in the course of the fermentation?

My M10 brew is throwing some pretty strong sulphur smells. Weird ! The pack states a lowest ferment temp of 15c. Not particularly strange min temp for ale yeast but could this one be an ale/lager blend? Never encountered this before with ale. Although i have only ever used dry yeast.

I've had them quite a bit, so much to make me think that's yeast's default mode. My first, failed attempt at harvesting a wild yeast (did get one, but bacteria took over before any real magic happened) had a smell like fermenting chick peas! The Newcastle yeast is making sulfur from my Old Ale at the moment (though I tried to encourage esters in that one by pitching yeast while the temp was still about 23). I really don't think it matters that much, all noticeable sulfur smells seem to vanish once the beer has been fridged.

does M44 usually throw up a sh1tload of krausen? i pitched two packs into a 1.060 IPA and didn't leave a blow off tube, but there was about 3.5-4L headspace room (bunnings fermenter). a bit worried as i pitched it yesterday and don't want to go home today to mess. :(

fletcher said:
does M44 usually throw up a sh1tload of krausen? i pitched two packs into a 1.060 IPA and didn't leave a blow off tube, but there was about 3.5-4L headspace room (bunnings fermenter). a bit worried as i pitched it yesterday and don't want to go home today to mess. :(
I had a good couple of inches also, and it lasted quite a while through the ferment.

cheers guys. a few inches i can handle. if it's a volcano i'll have to hurry home but i'm hoping no. i'm fermenting at 16-17c

fucken hell. I've never had a yeast not kick off in 24 hours. I hope this m44 is all it's cracked up to be. making me worried. no sign of any krausen yet

Latest posts

Back