Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re-using yeast cakes is an interesting question to me and ties in with another question I'm interested in, the possibility of keeping a house yeast. But that topic is so broad it deserves its own thread, so I gave it one.

Made a Munich I plus Glacier SMaSH ale this week with MJ44. Took 24 hours to get going, but a good krausen was there a day after that. Ticking along sedately now.

I reused MJ British Ale M07 and it was just as fine the 2nd time and will be my new house yeast when Notty stock runs out. I simply swirl the FV and mix the remaining yeasty beer and the yeast on the bottom and pour it into a glass jar(s), put it in the fridge and use it in 30-40 days or so. I don't do any washing or anything, just whatever is in the jar goes into a new batch.

Pitched M10 Workhorse in to a 1070 wort this morning and its fermenting now, some 5hrs.
I have it in a flask so I can see the CO2 rising, not a krausen beast at this stage but it is fermenting.
Nev

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Pitched M10 Workhorse in to a 1070 wort this morning and its fermenting now, some 5hrs.
I have it in a flask so I can see the CO2 rising, not a krausen beast at this stage but it is fermenting.
Nev
1 hour later and I have 20mm krausen over the whole top.
FYI I did rehydrate and mixed on the mag stirrer then pitched within 15 mins.
Nev

I bottled an English Pale yesterday, dumped some slurry into both an English IPA and an American IPA - yeast is Burton union. 12 hours later visible fermentation - may have happened earlier but I was sleeping.

Bottling some slurry today of three brews - two from MJ ferments, a Newcastle Ale and a British Ale yeast respectively. And I noticed a funny thing: many of the individual granules from the British Ale yeast were still bobbing about the bottom of the fermenter: evidently they never became adequately rehydrated, remained dormant, and perhaps when the wort began to become alcoholic, the granules that might have become active instead decided against it.

This suggests that my problems with lag times may have begun with my rehydration. Next time I'll try, as they suggest, to dissolve the yeast thoroughly in water that's about 30 degrees C, though not anything above that.

Nev
1 hour later and I have 20mm krausen over the whole top.
FYI I did rehydrate and mixed on the mag stirrer then pitched within 15 mins.
Nev
I mixed at less than 30C and did notice some clumping so I smashed them with a spoon, fixed it right up.
This M10 is one of the nicest smelling yeasts I have used, cant stop sniffing it.
Nev

We've been doing some yeast trials for our house Kolsch, & the M79 seemed a perfect choice from it's descriptors. We brewed 5 identical batches with 5 different yeasts, & all performed as expected except the M79. the beer was clovey & spicy & made a perfect Belgian Blonde. We were concerned that maybe the batch had got got contaminated so brewed again to double check. The 2nd brew was identical to the first. How they are calling this an English Ale strain is beyond me, it shows none of the character claimed. On a positive note, we love the results as a Belgian Blonde & have now brewed a few kegs for commercial sale...

M79 Burton Union Yeast
AROMA CHARACTERISTICS:
Some pear esters, possibly strawberry or kiwi-like aromas can be expected. Clean, delicate
malt and hop aromas will survive fermentation. If hop and/or malt aromas are prominent in the
beer this strain’s aroma characteristics will fade to the background.
FLAVOR/MOUTH FEEL CHARACTERISTICS:
Clean, mostly neutral and smooth, finishes beers moderately dry but does not strip away body.
Silky, lightly smooth texture, light to medium body, mild acidity and mostly neutral flavor.
Aroma contributions from this yeast strain makes it a good all-rounder for a wide range of ales.

What limited information I found on the internet suggested Belgian characteristics for M79, especially when not massively pitched, and that concerned me. But given it was a house beer it was going into, I thought "who cares, as long as it's good".

Due to dry July, I can't confirm this, but interested to see Ross has had the same experience as many others.

I had heard it mentioned that M79 needs a higher pitching rate to get rid of Belgian characteristics (I think it was HBHB that might have mentioned it).

Good anecdotal evidence thought, thanks heaps for that Ross.

I didn't get Belgian characteristics from my Burton Union brews, however I did with the Belgian Ale strain.

Another update.

Just reused the M79, contrary to instructions on a high gravity darkly coloured beer.

I saved the trub into 2 bottles, one 600ml and one about 1L (in a 1.25L bottle with the air squeezed out). Poured it into the fermenter after 3 days in the fridge, leaving the bottom gunky trub that had settled in the bottle.

Off and running within 24 hours. Appears to be quite happy. I'll let you know how Reuse #1 goes.

Given this reuse is in a high gravity, dark beer, the other R1 yeast in the 600ml bottle will need to be brewed with and recollected as an R2 and used before i can give feedback. I'll see how it goes.

The original beer was an Amber Mild at 1.038.

I cracked a keg of ESB on Sunday brewed with the Burton Union. 2 weeks from grain to glass and I'm pretty happy. Nice esters good body and crisp finish. Fermented at 20'.
I had read some bsd reviews about this yeast on one of the American forums so was apprehensive.

What ferment temp Ross?

I brewed an Australian pale with the British yeast yesterday it kicked off in under 24hrs. Lag time seemed to be within standard times. I hydrated!!!!!!

Started one yesterday with British yeast. Another pale.

There was some stuff on the surface this morning, and it grew throughout the day. Carbonation gradually speeding up.

It's significantly quicker than my other British yeast ferments! Differences this time: I made more attempts to dissolve the yeast in the water, and to rehydrate in warmer water.... and I used yeast from two packets (decided the leftover amounts I added from one weren't enough, so I sprinkled in some more from a second packet.... okay, I didn't rehydrate that lot.)

It's on a heat pad so it shouldn't be toooooo disturbed by the overnight cold.

I did my house ale with M79; 19 litres, pitched with 1 pack, re-hydrated. After 36 hours with no krausen, I dry-pitched a second pack. 12 hours later, action. After the whole shooting match, I was left with an ale my house-mate (who is no beer slouch) described as "A pretty good saison, but not much of a pale ale..." After quite a while in the bottle...not much had changed. Still drinkable, but not at all what I'd intended. Very Belgian.

I have just pitched M03 Newcastle into a mild, and it's taken off like a rocket and smells wicked good so far. So, M79 is not in my good books, but I'm giving MJ yeasts in general another few goes. Still have M07 in the fridge, waiting for an ESB.

Good krausen and fermentation this morning. It smells super sweet, combination of the appley esters and the tagetes flowers I added at the end of the boil. Hopefully that lovely tagetes smell won't all get carried away - I suspect not, actually, as last time I used tagetes in the same way the aroma and flavour proved to be very resilient.

The BA yeast is performing better this time - I think probably because of my rehydration in 30 degree water.

Back