Mandarin In A Black Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rough60

Reaction score
Hi all,
Making this today:
3.6kg JW pils
0.2kg Roast malt
0.1kg Dark crystal
20g POR @ 45 mins
It will be dumped on S-04 cake.
Anyway I was peeling the kids a mandarin and man it smelt nice, so I finely chopped the skin
and added it with the hops, smells pretty good. Anyone done something like this b4?
What do people think?
Cheers.

Should call it Terrys Choc Orange Stout.
Sounds intriguing.
I have a stout hanging around here, I may squeeze some citrus into it and give it some thoughts for next time.
I know someonbe did a rasberry stout that they said was nice.

I used to make an apricot stout - used juice bought from the shop in a can and tipped it into the fermenter. It worked. I like the sound of the mandarin skin in the boil. Some brewers are doing the hoegaarden clone thing but using mandarin intead of the orange peel. Adds a point of difference.

Sounds good but with all citrus fruit it's better to use the coloured part of the skin and leave the white/pith behind. The pith contains extremely bitter tannins whereas the nice mandarin flavour will be in the zest.

I normally add things like citrus peel and spices at flameout. My understanding is that longer boiling tends to drive off the fragile aromatics of peel and spice.

cheers

grant

Well i gassed it today and it's pretty nice.
Only a hint a mandarin, there is a weird taste that is probably from the pith, but it's not to bitter.
Next time I think I'll add it @ 5mins and only use the rind.
Cheers.

Lately I've noticed a mandarin aroma coming from dropping Styrian Goldings in the boil. I wonder if a small addition at flameout would complement the mandarin nicely.

Latest posts

Back