Using up Specialty Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pistolpete01

Reaction score
G'day,

I have just fired up my 20L Braumeister again after moving north and I think I need to start branching out a bit more with my brewing. Up until now I have always used very basic grain bills, usually around a 60/40 pils/wheat mix with different late hops and US-05 for easy drinking ales.

When I purchased my Braumeister the guy who sold it to me threw in all his specialty malts as well, they have all been vacuum sealed for around 24 months now and I figure it's time I did something with them before they end up going to the chooks.

I have:
Carapils 3000g
Crystal 60 1900g
Munich 1 1500g
Roasted Barley 1000g
Torrified Wheat 890g
Dark Crystal 800g
Crystal 40 765g
Chocolate Malt 750g
Rolled Barley 500g
Dark Caramalt 500g
Acidulated malt 400g
Midnight Wheat 275g
Belgian Aromatic 100g
Caramalt 30-60ebc 100g

As well as the following base malts
1Kg JW Traditional Ale
8Kg Simpson Maris Otter
10kg Heidelberg Pilsner
13kg Malted Wheat

Hops:
Galaxy 400g
Chinook 400g
Centennial 430g
Citra 365g
NZ Cascade 340g
Amarillo 100g
Motueka Flowers 100g
Mosaic 60g
EKG 60g
Cascade Flowers 55g
Simcoe 45g
Nelson Sav 25
Saaz 20

And yeast on hand
US-04
US-05
2565 Kolsch
1272 American Ale II
1214 Belgian Abbey
[SIZE=11pt]3944 Belgian Wit [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]3463 Forbidden fruit [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]3724 Belgian saison[/SIZE]

I would like to use up all of my malt and hops as they are starting to get a little old and I have 11 kegs to fill. I can chill or no chill depending on recipe and have temp controlled fermentation.

I think I have everything I need for a black IPA so that will be the next brew. Can anyone suggest an awesome beer or 2 that I could bash out with the above? Or even a base grain bill to try different hops?

The only thing I can offer in return is free beer and endless Barra fishing spots if you are ever in the Kimberley!

Cheers,
Pete.

You have a great inventory there, the world is your oyster!. I have just today finished reading Gordon Strong's new book and there was a good recipe using the forbiden fruit yeast, mmm

I'm in the same boat, I've got around 5-10kg each of Roast Barley, Choc Malt, Dark Choc, Caramalt and Black Malt (and about 20kg of crystal...)
Will be doing a LOT of dark milds, porters and stouts coming into winter
I could even do some 60L maxi BIAB batches and sell the cubes at the Hunter Valley wanky craft markets as boutique homebrew....

For pale ales I normally use a grain bill of approx. 85% Maris Otter (any pale malt will do obviously though), 10% Munich II and 5% Crystal 80, or medium crystal whatever they call it. I've found this a good base for trying different hops out.

Righto,

6 beers confirmed to be brewed before Easter!

Black IPA with Amarillo and Cascade

Mosaic Red

3x Pale ales with Rocker 1986's grain bill and single hops. Chinook, Centennial and Citra @ 60, 15,5 and 0
OG~1050
IBU~40

and a porter of some description.

Cheers for the suggestions lads.

I just kegged a pale ale with Chinook like that today except I used Magnum @ 60 in that brew, then Chinook additions at 10 and flameout (and dry hopped), and US-05 yeast. Will have a sample glass on Saturday during a brew day I have planned. FV samples were promising though. :)

You could almost brew anything with that inventory.

I'd definitely put a saison on the list to help with the warm weather.

Maybe a Belgian strong ale. American wheat. Maybe and ordinary bitter with the ekg and the s-04

Back