Malt Varieties And Break Material

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Howdy,

I made my second BIAB recently, mostly floor malted marris otter in a ordinary bitter.

I had always been told to expect lots of break/trub material from the BIAB process, but got surprisingly little. Gravity was spot on. :)

Was I just lucky or do people find that some base malts produce more/less break material at the end of the mash/boil than others? - especially using the BIAB method?

cheers

Kev

Do you use Whirfloc or anything similar when you are boiling? I do and get a lot of break material, doesn't make much difference with the end result so I am happy!

Crundle

I've never used Whirfloc, have been meaning to, but always forget to buy it.

I've done two AG batches - both BIAB. The first one had plenty of break material - can't recall the malt variety - it was a while ago! the second (MO) almost none.

There wasn't much more in the fermenter than I'd expect either...

The finished beer is very hazy though...
Kev

I dont produce clear beers either..... still taste good but :)

I don't have any drama with cloudy/hazy beers.

Just surprised at the difference in break material between the two batches.

I also brew more than I intend to transfer to the fermenter to avoid the break the material from the boil, so when there's less break and not enough room in the fermenter, I'm wasting afew $$ and a couple of litres of beer.

If I can get an idea of any differences between malt varieties, I can plan accordingly and maybe save a few dollars and waste less beer/wort.

cheers

Kev

Break material will vary (in BIAB) by how vigurous your boil is and how quickly you chill. Essentially the more protien you have in your boiler post sparge/pull up of bag, the bigger the break will be. Harder to be acurate with thsi with BIAB as you dont have recirculation/vorlauf on your side. There is nothing wrong with break materaial, just dont get it into your keg/bottle. :)

Latest posts

Back