Malt Specifications

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHB

Reaction score
After being down for a long time its nice to see that the Bairds website is back up.

Bairds Malt

Thomas Fawcett

I just wish they would both put a bit more detail in the specifications.

MHB

thanks for the links MHB,
Fawcetts specs quote for MO, EXTRACT LITRE / KG MIAG 2 AS IS

how do we apply this on a smaller scale for the HB ?

also, does any of that apply to diastatic power ?

cheers
Yard

Thanks for the heads up MHB, there's a fair bit of data though on the Bairds site, what's missing? (Complete noob to AG, I am. Can you tell?! ;) )

But, well bugger me, Bairds actually have a maltings in Arbroath. :blink: I have relatives there and I stayed with them for a couple of months a good while back and we cycled past what I guessed was a maltings but I didn't give it much thought then and there. Some right beautiful countryside is the Angus district, I just loved being there in winter.

I've never knowingly used their malts, (up to now I've done mostly k&k and extracts) but I will do in future now that I know about their maltings, so now its looking even brighter for moving into partial & AG. CraftBrewer have an extensive Bairds inventory- jolly good!

And their Inverness plant is doing peated malt again too and also organic. Not big on peated myself although some of the whisky is fair dinkum and will just rock your socks, but I was largely off the turps when I was there (on doctor's orders) so I didn't sample much of it in any detail. My colleague Alasdair who hails from Inverness (AKA 'Jimmy', of course) could do the spirits justice though and with gusto, but what's got me stuffed now is why he drinks that Gold cat piss here in Oz even though he home brewed ages ago, so knows at least a bit about it. :wacko:

Slainte!

We can safely assume that all base malt will have enough Diastatic Power to look after itself, and probably enough for 15-20% adjunct. But for some reason maltsters appear to need to have their gonads put in a vice before they will give out Diastatic Power numbers, sort of what I was referring to about lack of detail.

Just a meander -

I keep hearing here (AHB) that Galaxy is high enzyme malt I havent looked at the specs for several years but is it?

I recall that it was high in glucanase, which is great if you want to add lots of unmalted grain to your brew, but I dont recall anything about its DP being anything out of the ordinary. If anyone has as spec sheet handy I wouldnt mind a copy

Back OT

Coarse Grind As Is of all the laboratory tests preformed on malt is probably the most useful number for a home brewer.

The MIAG 7 as is number is effectively 100%, under ideal conditions you could expect to get about 300 points of gravity from 1 Kg of malt in 1 Litre. Obviously thats a theoretical number, but if you look at it as say: - 5 Kg in 25 Litres

(5 X 301.5) /25 = 60 (roughly) or a wort gravity of 1.060 at 100% extraction.

Say you got 1.050

You mash efficiency would be 50/60 X 100 = 83.3333%

I just wish everyone would use the same units; even the same tests would be nice, it gets very confusing.

Any German (and Bairds) tests will report extract percentage (say 82%) for fine grind of dry weight, then you have to look at the Coarse/Fine difference, and the moisture to work back to the coarse grind as is number thats the one we need.

I just wish they would get it together and all report from the same basis, (pet peeve).

MHB

This is the info on the Galaxy spec sheet I just received the other day.

Cheers,
bud

Barrett Burston Malting Co. Pty Ltd 1588
Blend Number
Consignee Agent Contract
Lot No.
Shipped
On
Sailed on
or about
Barley
Type
Crop
Year
Quantity
& Type
David Cryer Limited David Cryer Limited
To Be Advised
23/07/2007
25-Jul-07
Galaxy 100.00%
ACCORDING TO ANALYTICA - EBC
/ 4
V
BBM Reference: Date:
30.500 TONNES AUSTRALIAN PALE MALT
BB427
Malt Analysis No.: 3916 2023
ANALYSIS ANALYSIS
RESULTS
MIN MAX UNIT COMMENTS
Moisture Content 4.5 4.50 %
Extract - EBC Fine (dry basis) 79.5 80.00 %
Extract EBC fine (as is) 75.9 %
Colour EBC (eye) 3.4 3.30 4.00 EBC
Total Nitrogen 1.70 1.58 1.75 %
Soluble Nitrogen EBC 0.66 0.68 0.80 %
Kolbach Index 39 40.00 45.00 %
Diastatic Power (Windisch Kolbach) 289 250.00 WK
Beta Glucan (EBC) 24 200.00 ppm
Odour of Wort Normal
Degree of Clarity Clear
Speed of Filtration Normal
Saccharification Time 5 - 10 Mins
Registered Office:

Sort of what I recalled, its the big Glucanase numbers that make it so useful for high adjunct brews.
For IMC Pilsner (just because I had it handy, compliments NNL website)

MHB

IMC Pilsner Malt is a well modified 2 row malt suitable for all Pilsners, lagers and European ales.

Variety 100% Gairdner

Moisture 4.4 %

Extract Fine 81.4%

Extract Course 80.1

Fine/Course Diff. 1.3 %

Colour of Wort 3.5 EBC

Total Protein 11.00 %

Soluble Nitrogen 0.72 %

Kolbach Index 40.7 %

Diastatic Power 327 wK

Viscosity 1.51 cp

Friability 90.4 %