Malt Pipe question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digging up an oldish thread here.

I'm looking at moving to a 1V "braumeiser" type system from my trusty old 3V RIMS system and am trying to find a suitable malt pipe to put inside my 15 gallon blichmann MLT.

I'm looking at a few options and would prefer a pipe with solid sides rather than a basket type setup so I can recirculate to get a clear wort. The brewzilla malt pipe will fit in my MLT, but it will only have about 10mm clearance between the pipe and the vessel.

Is there a minimum clearance between the malt pipe and the vessel sides that is necessary

Cheers,

JD

Digging up an oldish thread here.

I'm looking at moving to a 1V "braumeiser" type system from my trusty old 3V RIMS system and am trying to find a suitable malt pipe to put inside my 15 gallon blichmann MLT.

I'm looking at a few options and would prefer a pipe with solid sides rather than a basket type setup so I can recirculate to get a clear wort. The brewzilla malt pipe will fit in my MLT, but it will only have about 10mm clearance between the pipe and the vessel.

Is there a minimum clearance between the malt pipe and the vessel sides that is necessary

Cheers,

JD
I could be wrong but there seems to be a substantial clearance with concealed elements, which I believe is necessary to prevent scorching. The BM would only have about 0,020 mm clearance.

I could be wrong but there seems to be a substantial clearance with concealed elements, which I believe is necessary to prevent scorching. The BM would only have about 0,020 mm clearance.

There won’t be an internal element in the system (at least at this stage). I’ll run a RIMS and boil with gas so minimal risk of scorching the grain as it won’t come into contact with direct heat. More interested in the size of the pot vs malt pipe and if there is an optimal ratio between the 2.

JD

There won’t be an internal element in the system (at least at this stage). I’ll run a RIMS and boil with gas so minimal risk of scorching the grain as it won’t come into contact with direct heat. More interested in the size of the pot vs malt pipe and if there is an optimal ratio between the 2.

JD
One I made up years ago was a 20 litre HDPE pail from Bunnings drilled 1.5 or 2 mm holes in the bottom,as you are only mashing comes just about into the scope of the temperature scale of HDPE.
Raise it off the bottom of the kettle using bolts or setscrews with a couple of nuts on each.

Latest posts

Back