Making Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sid

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm going to make a stout out of a cheap kit can that I got from the supermarket, just going to do a 1/2 batch with it (11ltr's), I probably use some cyrstal and chocolate grain... mini mashed and I want to do a seperate mash with oat flakes, but have no idea how much I can use for this, 500grm??any ideas?
Anything else you can think of to add to it? I've got some liquorice root herb, but again never used this either.

Just an experiment, as I'm not a stout drinker.............yet heheh.

Hi all

I'm going to make a stout out of a cheap kit can that I got from the supermarket, just going to do a 1/2 batch with it (11ltr's), I probably use some cyrstal and chocolate grain... mini mashed and I want to do a seperate mash with oat flakes, but have no idea how much I can use for this, 500grm??any ideas?
Anything else you can think of to add to it? I've got some liquorice root herb, but again never used this either.

hi, roast barley can give some flavours to stouts.

molasses can add flavour.

cheers
alan

'Sweet' stouts such as Carbine stout and Sheaf Stout would do nicely with the black / chocolate type malts but 'dry' Irish stouts like Guinness and Murphys traditionally use roasted barley - i.e. unmalted.

If you order from Ross, a really black and I mean black as the ace of spades steeping-malt is Carafa T3. I have a packet in the fridge that I bought for darkening up my Scottish Ales and even just 100g makes them almost black. For a stout I would add 250g. It has a real smoky taste.

If you want to make a strong but inexpensive and dead easy stout that will give bottled Guinness and Coopers (commercial) Stout a run for their money why not just do a toucan of Coopers Stout plus a kilo of LDME and finish off with some fuggles late hops, and use a robust yeast like Nottingham. My rellies from Sydney have just arrived and they brought me a bottle of sheaf stout by request (can't get it in QLD) and I tell you what my toucan recipe s$%ts all over it IMHO.

My recipe also has 750 dex which I will cut out of further brews because at its current strength it's a widowmaker :excl:

Hi all

I'd play it safe if you're not a stout drinker.

I'd mash the choc seperate to the crystal at a lower temp, maybe just hot water from the tap in a coffee plunger, this will give less burnt coffee flavours.

I second the molasses, maybe 10-50g, it has a very distinctive flavour.

I'd also use a better yeast if it was from a kit on special. Maybe us-05 or s-04.

I have never tried oats so I can't comment there.

What is the kit?

Cheers and good luck.

11litre onecan will be very similar to 23l toucan so go easy on extra ingredients.

500g of oats is probably too much. You will need to go back through the pages here there were quite a few Oatstout recepies in here back in June or July if I recall.

I used about 400g of CSR Treacle in a 23l toucan (stout+darkale) which was just about right adding just a subtle molasses flavour without being overpowering.

I do love a good strong stout with something sweet like a fresh Mango delich.

If your doing a mini mash anyway this is what i use with coopers stout.
1.5kg Munich MT1
200g Choc
100g Melanoidin
300g quick oats
1 tin Cooperst stout
mashed at 67
Boil 1hr
20g EKG @ 15min from end of boil
all into 20l final vol.
us56@20C

Bear in mind also before doing a twocan that coopers stout is already quite bitter. 43 ibu in 23L from memory.

Regards
Rich

hey ya guys.

Lots of good idea's in there, I should be able to put something together out of all those ingredients. Molasses sounds like it'll work it's way into the brew. I'll knock the oats back a bit for this test brew.

The kit I got was a lion dark ale kit, here in NZ they are sold along side the coopers original range. Cost $6, so I thought why not. Have some S-05 yeast coming in, so that can go in as well. The lion kits aren't as strong in taste as the coopers.

I've heard about the 2 can coopers stout being good, a mate of mine done a 2 can coopers dark ale, it was one strong beer had a kilo of dextrose in as well, knocked a few people around that one.. heheh.

Back