Making sausages, any tips?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I busted out the mincer yesterday and did my first batch of sausages. Made some bratwurst. Was thinking it'd be a total disaster but other than a huge mess so far they look good. I'll cook them tonight on the weber.

image.jpg

Don't make them too lean. A sausage needs fat. Im at 20% fat and still too dry.

Also keep your meat cold so keep some in fridge while mincing.

I'm assuming my invite got lost in the mail?

Simmo1972 said:
Thanks mate, will do. I noticed it took a long time to put them through the mincer. I ended up freezing some of the mince.

sponge said:
I'm assuming my invite got lost in the mail?
lol, I haven't tasted them yet!. When i get the hang of it I'll definitely bring some to Ibu events.

Sponge, He’s cooking them tonight so I guess we just turn up early this evening and have a few beers till they are ready.

Simmo1972 said:

He's right... But more fat 30-35%. With spices keep it simple - salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika powder (to taste) etc. Leave the mix overnight in the fridge (sealed).

Tips?

You've made them already.

My tip is that you will probably find excuses to eat them all within minutes.

If you were starting out I'd say keeping meat cold while working, working quickly, frying a piece of seasoned mince to check season/spice/flavour before stuffing, ensuring enough fat (buy and keep extra aside for Justin) and stuffing skins just under capacity all lead to a great sausage.

Also dried fennel flower is an amazing addition to pork/fennel sausage.

Fresh chicken I find makes an awesome snag.

The best of the best..... chicken, honey, organic spinach and macadamia nut sausages.

Debone your own whole chooks and retain the skin for perfect fat content. ;)

Meat should be so cold that your hands hurt after mixing in the spices... I put it in the freezer for 45 mins before mincing to get it cold enough.

Add iced water to the minced meat to make it more workable (less sticky). Mace, white pepper and sage are my go-to herbs for sausages. Although I will be making some of these in the very near future. Made them last year and they were delicious! I am keen to make bratwurst though, to go with a wheat beer!

Matplat said:
Meat should be so cold that your hands hurt after mixing in the spices... I put it in the freezer for 45 mins before mincing to get it cold enough.

Add iced water to the minced meat to make it more workable (less sticky). Mace, white pepper and sage are my go-to herbs for sausages. Although I will be making some of these in the very near future. Made them last year and they were delicious! I am keen to make bratwurst though, to go with a wheat beer!
why does the meat need to be so cold

is it so bugs don't grow or texture

^ usualy just easier to work with cold

I think it also affects the texture... I have made some before that just ended up tasting mushy and I put it down to that....

Meat being too warm results in mushy mixture.

Also helps with food safety.

I was a little stumped when discovering the fat content was so essential. I wanted to make lean snags. Just doesn't work unless you like noring dry snags. I did an experiment with Coconut fat as a substitute and made a Thai curry snags. Separate chicken, beef and pork. They were still dry but pretty damb good. A hand mincer is too hard though, you need a third hand. A motor driven mincer would be the go if you were to get into it more.

edit: Got the Casings from: http://thecasingboutique.com/

+1 Casing Boutique.... very efficient and great to deal with

It is something worth doing at home. You know the ingredients. Challenge anyone to be able to pronounce the 20 or so ingredients in shelf bought sausages. Then describe what those ingredients are? :unsure:

+1 more for casingboutique.... I ain't brewing this weekend, so maybe it's time to make some more snageroonies!

Latest posts

Back