Makeshift Mash Return/sparge Arm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash in Perth

Barrow Boys Brewing
Reaction score
Made this today with some bits of junk laying around in my shed. The height is adjustable depending on the size mash, here it is set to 20L for my next brew. The tube has about 15 slits in it made with a hacksaw which will hopefully be enough to let the flow from the march pump and coil to come out of. The only problem is its hard to change the height because the silicon tubing is strong enough to push it out of place (not the cable tie'd wire holding it in position). I made it adjustable hieght so there is no splashing and therefore areation ocurring, it can sit jsut in the mash.

Any one made some thing better? It wouldnt be hard!

Step_7_return.JPG

edit: sorry forgot pic

Show us a pic Ash, then I can tell you if I have something better ;)

cheers

Browndog

Not necessarily better, just different. I stole the idea from Roy at TWOC from his rig. I just drilled a hole in my lid making a tight fit with the copper so I can slide it up or down depending on my height of my mash bed. The ring (now) has a series of 2mm holes drilled in the top. Love your updates Ash keep em coming !
:)
Cheers
Doug
DCP_0565.JPG

that looks pretty good. Ill have to build something like that when i build a more sturdy lid, especially if this doesnt work well.

Is that on Roys new SS brewery? I didnt see his arm.

Ash

that looks pretty good. Ill have to build something like that when i build a more sturdy lid, especially if this doesnt work well.

Is that on Roys new SS brewery? I didnt see his arm.

Ash
I haven't seen his new rig yet, the version I saw was keg based Mash Tun and HLT (legally sourced of course)with some nice Robinox SS Bling for the Kettle.

I find the lid helps maintain mash temps very will with my HERMS heat exchanger running at about 2-3 greater than the mash which is apparently a good thing according to this (thanks to Jayse who first directed me to this interesting HERMSresource).
Cheers
Doug

Hi Ash,

Just one thing to note. Generally people who have a HERMS or any recirculating system tend to have a return manifold that has 1/2" outlets rather than slits or holes. Reason being that you'll likely be recirculating chunks of grain for a while through your system. You'll never clog 1/2" holes but you might clog your slots (or holes for other people using that system).

I like this sort of manifold: http://hbd.org/hollen/lrims/P0004150.JPG

But as I said, yours will likely work with no problems but it may clog a bit? Possibly, maybe, mightdo, who knows-suck it and see.
It's fine for just sparging with HLT water cause there are no chunky bits but you may, just possibly, end up with blocked holes in your sparge manifold.

I used to use a sparge manifold exactly like Doogiechap when I fly sparged, but now that I batch sparge I don't even have a sparge ring. I just have the hose going straight in there.

FWIW, people get a bit hung up on having this eltecho sparging manifold and how they deliver the water to the grain bed. I can tell you it makes very little difference how the water is delivered and it is far less important than people make out. One classic is the Phils Whirly gig rotating sparge arm, gimmicky as hell, useless as shit. It does a great job of cooling your sparge water ;). My opinion only.

As long as you have a 1/2" to 1" of water sitting above your bed and your not boring a hole through the grain bed it will work fine.

I'll just add one more thing, when your recirculating your mash make sure your sparge ring is sitting below the surface of the water and not sprinkling away. HSA whether it exists or not (I'd be surprised if it didn't in my opinion), but why take the chance.

Cheers, Justin

Heres mine, it is very similar to Doogiechaps but I used compression fitting to hold it to the lid more securely, and this still allows me to slide it up and down depending on the mash volume. I have also included a piece of polycarbonate so I can see when the mash has cleared and ready to transfer to the kettle.

DCP02008.JPGDCP02010a.JPGDCP02011.JPG

I did not think about it blocking at all. i will ahve to pull it apart and drill some holes in it then.

i just hooked up my new pump and gave it a whirl and it distributes well when out of the water but this means nopthing because itll be sitting in the wort.

Cool. As i said though, it may or may not clog up. I doubt it would clog enough to total block or significantly block it but it's something to just keep in mind if things start going funny. Really depends on how many holes/slits you have and then how big they are.

Cool bananas (man who can afford them at the moment?)

thanks for the tip justin, ive cut the holes bigger with an angle grinder (delicately) so they shouldnt clog up now.

ill take some pics of it tommorow once its pulled back apart for cleaning.

ran it today, you were right, it blocked up straight away, i didnt realise for a while but i cleared them easily enoguh with a razor blade and after 15min into the mash they strayed free.

Im going to build a new one, probably out of copper but i have a long time before ill be brewing again so theres no rish.

hey ash

here are some pics of mine.

works great!.

try and face the recirculating wort up if you can to minimise grain bed disturbance.

I just dunk it beneath the liquid level to reduce oxidation as you noted.

cheers mate

Hey Ash Have you met Asher from WA?

I have used both sparge arm and direct flow and realistically there is no difference between the two.

In actualility, disturbing the grain bed at the top of the mash may be beneficial to the final clarity of the brew.

The reason for this is because of the settling of larger products of mashing occurs faster than the settling of smaller products.

Similar technologies are employed with chromatological techniques.

Many years ago this method was suggested to me by Tall Dave (TD) on an American HB forum. I tried it and works very well.

Further to this Dicko from SA (The Thinking State) suggested adjusting the flow from a pump to "low" was the best way to increase clarity of mash wort.

Both methods to increase clarity of "runnings" have worked for me.

Just my thoughts

cheers

Darren

Edit: Spontaneous typos

i will agree with the slow flow helping with clarity.

most definatly helps.

cheers

and we have out own footy code :)

you know (off topic) NSW has a lot of speed cameras, police chasing us around for picking our noses but if you go to canbera which is in NSW, you can almost do what you want. Drugs are legal to a certan degree, ive never seen a speed camera, highway patrol oficer pulling over someone for doing 66 in a 60 zone.......... actuall i found they have the most recless drivers and i aint no angel.

sorry hijack ends here.

cheers

Tony,

Only been to Canberra twice. First time i drove and found myself going round and round. Next time, I flew and it was a bumpy landing.

Is that the NSW way?

Thank god for Aussie rules.

cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back