Don Burke's New Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the second pump used for?

Anyway - Rig looks awesome - you've kicked a serious goal.

hi unrealous,

the 2nd pump will serve 2 purposes,

1) as i am using the coil in the kettle as a heat exchange, i will need one pump to pump the mash liquor through the coil, the 2nd pump will recirculate the hot water bath the coil is in to ensure even temperature

2) when chilling, one pump will recirculate wort, i'll use tap pressure through the coil to drop the wort to say 30, then switch over to an ice bath that the 2nd pump will push through the coil

the pump i'm waiting for delivery is this one

http://www.marchpump.com/ac-5b-md

because my coil is narrow and long, the 809 march pump only manages a litre a minute, so i decided the get the faster flow one to increase the flow rate to a more acceptable rate for effective increase of mash temp, fingers crossed it works !

i've enjoyed the build, its stimulating areas of my brain that i dont normally use :icon_cheers:

Beautiful Don! I'm envious. - Here's to many fantastic brews from it!

Looks very nice... Very clean looking design and simple compared to some other designs on the net...

Looking at building a 3v system myself my be going through this thread again to borrow some ideas...

hi punkal, i like things simple in my life, and i think its reflected in my rig,

at this stage i dont have any regrets of not doing things differently, so its all come together well,

my run today was pretty smooth, and i'm sure after a few more brews on the rig it will be even smoother

thanks

Don Burke - That has to be one of the nicest rigs I've ever seen - well done, glad to hear that you've got no regrets with it and that its working well.

One question - did you by any chance use some pre-made plans for construction or did you just dream it all up yourself? I'm curious cause you've totally inspired me... :icon_cheers:

Don Burke - That has to be one of the nicest rigs I've ever seen - well done, glad to hear that you've got no regrets with it and that its working well.

One question - did you by any chance use some pre-made plans for construction or did you just dream it all up yourself? I'm curious cause you've totally inspired me... :icon_cheers:

i had a dream rodders,

it started with the pots, they were the largest readily available SS ones i could find

so the spacing between was based on the size of these pots,

i didnt want it too tall so i can easily get in the pots, so this determined the height

the fittings are all pretty stock standard stuff from beerbelly,

the fabricator designed the mountings for the burners, and i am very happy with his input and work

IMG_2740.JPG

i wanted the cooling coil fixed, then i thought, why not use the same coil as a heat exchanger,

so it all came together something like that

beautiful rig Don! im heading in a similar diection with the herms/immersion chiller idea. mine is copper and not plumbed in so it can go in a smaller vessel, so i look forward to hearing how it works for you. will you use gas to heat when its in heat exchange mode?

Also, are the coils hard up against each other? i had thought id be able to get a whirlpool going via sending hot wort into the inside of the coil (coils hard up against each other) and trap the trub etc (as in jamil chiller) but its not happening. so im curious.

anyways, you must be chuffed with that thing.

cheers,
sim

beautiful rig Don! im heading in a similar diection with the herms/immersion chiller idea. mine is copper and not plumbed in so it can go in a smaller vessel, so i look forward to hearing how it works for you. will you use gas to heat when its in heat exchange mode?

Also, are the coils hard up against each other? i had thought id be able to get a whirlpool going via sending hot wort into the inside of the coil (coils hard up against each other) and trap the trub etc (as in jamil chiller) but its not happening. so im curious.

anyways, you must be chuffed with that thing.

cheers,
sim

hi sim,

i'll be using gas to heat the water for the heat exchange, manually controlled, no automation at this stage

the coils have approx 5mm gap between turns, allthough i didnt use the coil in today's brew, it was in my kettle,

the wort was boiling fine with coil in there, and the whirlpool was done with the march pump, and it whirlpooled fine,

my coils stop approx 40mm from the bottom, which allows the trub to form in the middle

i wouldnt say i got a perfect cone, but the trub and hop debris definitely settled in the middle under the coil

this pic might give an idea of the spacing

IMG_2651b.JPG

i had a dream rodders,

That's how it all starts doesn't it. Well, here's to your dreams becoming reality - :icon_cheers:

Its interesting to note that such undertakings always run into hurdles (referring to the dodgy tradesman), but I guess it makes it all the more sweeter in the end.

Oh, and Kudos on how you've handled yourself with that situation - what goes around comes around I say. You reap what you sow: Sow rip-offs and you end up broke with no friends; sow beer brewing and you end up with good times and good mates! B)

Well done don, very shiny indeed. How many stainless ballvalves all up out of curiosity?
Cheers

Well done don, very shiny indeed. How many stainless ballvalves all up out of curiosity?
Cheers

1 on the hlt
2 on the mash tun
4 on the kettle
3 on the gas lines

10 in total

heaps less than a russian submarine has :rolleyes:

WOW... Thats a lot of ballvalves they add up fast... Actually i think that could be close to the number on a Russian sub, some of their older ones at least...

Still think its a nice and simple design, I am also a big fan of simple designs don...

my 2nd pump arrived from the US today, its a march AC-5B-MD, ordered it from tesco pumps about 14 days ago

it has a maximum flow rate of about triple that of the 809-PL-HS which i'm hoping will give me an acceptable flow rate through my long narrow coil that will serve as the heat exchange for ramping up the mash temp

i also plan on using it to pump iced water through the coil when chilling the wort

will get a mounting bracket and cover made up and hopefully fit it this weekend

IMG_2764.JPG

note the inlet is 1 inch so i will fit a reducing bush so i can fit my camlocks

IMG_2766.JPG

Very impressive setup- you couldn't not make awesome beer with so much shiny stuff in one place!

Good to see you'll be filling up those mini champagne bottles with quality beer....

This is really impressive.
Anyone care to put a ball park figure on cost. Just so I can point to it with my missus and say "see, that makes the 1198S look cheap, and I'll be at home with you and not out on the dangerous roads!"

Very impressive setup- you couldn't not make awesome beer with so much shiny stuff in one place!

Good to see you'll be filling up those mini champagne bottles with quality beer....

thanks mikk, those bottles are a real hit, the women really love them with a passion pop wai-iti quaffer in them

"ahhhh how cute, little champagne bottles .... i'll drink this instead of champas"

This is really impressive.
Anyone care to put a ball park figure on cost. Just so I can point to it with my missus and say "see, that makes the 1198S look cheap, and I'll be at home with you and not out on the dangerous roads!"

clutch,

keep your 1198S and dont let her near this, trust me

she'll make you sell your bike, let you build a shiny brewery (maybe even two) and then insist on a first class round the world holiday with all the left over money

What an awesome setup! That stand is beautiful mate. Such a clean uncluttered brewery, it's real nice. I have 2 of those 32 tip mongolian burners and im so glad I bought them. What size are your pots? If your brewery looks like that I wonder what it looks like where you poor the beer into the glass. Good luck with all the finishing touches mate but by the looks of things Im not sure you'll be needing luck.

What an awesome setup! That stand is beautiful mate. Such a clean uncluttered brewery, it's real nice. I have 2 of those 32 tip mongolian burners and im so glad I bought them. What size are your pots? If your brewery looks like that I wonder what it looks like where you poor the beer into the glass. Good luck with all the finishing touches mate but by the looks of things Im not sure you'll be needing luck.

gav80,

the 32 jet is a beast, i have one under my HLT, its too much for the kettle, which uses a 23 jet

the pots are all 98 litres, leaves me with 80 lites into fermenters

cheers

Latest posts

Back