Magnetic Stir Bars In Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickoz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone know if there is anywhere in Adelaide that sells Magnetic Stir Bars. I am collecting bits to make myself a Magnetic Stirrer for yeast starter preparation.

Thanks

Mick

Hi Guys,

Anyone know if there is anywhere in Adelaide that sells Magnetic Stir Bars. I am collecting bits to make myself a Magnetic Stirrer for yeast starter preparation.

Thanks

Mick

Southern Cross Scientific.

Steve

This doesn't answer your question but have you considered using an aquarium pump to aerate rather than a stir plate? You can pick up .45 micron filters from the chemist (made to fit in syringes) that fit in line perfectly and you can get a pump for $10 at the pet shop.

This doesn't answer your question but have you considered using an aquarium pump to aerate rather than a stir plate? You can pick up .45 micron filters from the chemist (made to fit in syringes) that fit in line perfectly and you can get a pump for $10 at the pet shop.

That is a good idea Tim do you have a pic of your set up , does it cause foaming of the wort ?

Pumpy :)

I would recommend you use 0.2 micron filter if you go down this path. Personally, I dont think you really need either method. I have had no prpblems simply giving my starters a "swirl" as I walk past them. Couldn't be simpler.

cheers

Darren

That is a good idea Tim do you have a pic of your set up , does it cause foaming of the wort ?

pump.jpg

I do now, here you see the reputable Gong Yang Bang pump with 2 .45 micron syringe filters. The 2 outlets are handy to get 2 different starters going at once. I am only using the return valves that came with the pump to connect the filter outlet to the air hose, which are the same diameter.

I run the air hose into my starter bottle through a rubber bung - you can see the air stone in the bottle but I haven't used that yet as I wasn't sure about the dyes used to get it so blue, and thought I might be better off getting a SS one.

I agree that a smaller filter would be even better and I have picked up some .22 micron ones, but the .45 ones have worked well so far and should filter out many bacteria and will definately filter out any wild yeasts or spores.

I'm basing this on a post I read on the beertools forum and although I take everything I read on the interweb with a grain of salt, this seemed to make sense and has worked so far.

3) Wort Aeration:
If possible, don't! The reason is that it is not the wort that needs the oxygen, it is the yeast. By oxgenating the wort instead of the yeast starter, it will cause an over production of cells due to the excessive oxygen presence. This then leads to the production of unwanted esters and higher alcohols that will compromise beer flavor.

...it is best to only aerate the starter if you are so equipped to do this. The reason is that once the yeast has all the oxygen it needs to build strong cell walls and reproduce, it does not need any more. Any additional oxygen beyond that point will cause them to stay in a reproductive state rather than begin a fermentative state. If you can do this, you will notice a refined smoothness to your beers due to a reduction in ester production and therefore your beer will condition faster.

Since shaking a starter vigorously only produces large bubbles, it is an inefficient and inconsistent practice. I assume if you would do it for a LONG time... say 30 minutes, it would probably be sufficient, but 1) who wants to shake a starter for 30 minutes? & 2) since the air is not sterile, you would definitely risk contamination.

Thanks for that Tim a picture is wort a thousand words .

I have all that gear with exception of the two new Syringe filters from when I used to aerate the wort but this seems a better idea for bulking up the yeast .

How long do you pump it for ?

Thanks for that Tim a picture is wort a thousand words .

I have all that gear with exception of the two new Syringe filters from when I used to aerate the wort but this seems a better idea for bulking up the yeast .

How long do you pump it for ?

Pretty much constantly, the last one I pitched a smack pack into a 1L starter and aerated for a bit over 24 hours but if you are stepping up a slant over a week or something you just aerate the whole time! Having plenty of oxygen keeps the yeast reproducing which is what you want.

but does it look as cool as the vortex of a stir plate?

thats the REAL question :p

Troy,

You mean to quote that famous saying

"Your not a real brewer unless you have a stirplate"

But there is more than one way of skinning a cat

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Mick

Jaycar has them.

I got my stir bars from Aim Scientific in Prospect.

Well my mates are impressed enough when I show them the yeast growing box with flasks bubbling away and tubing everywhere :p

Thanks for all the replies guys. Plenty of info for me to do what I need to do.
I intend starting a farm of slants so will need a pretty good method to increase to increase from a handful of cells up to pitching.

Damn, I was at Jaycar yesterday :)

Regards

Mick

Latest posts

Back