Mac's Hop Rocker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdmacphe

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here has tasted Mac's Hop Rocker because I'm trying to get some help on coming up with a recipe. At the moment I'm doing extract brews and have recently started using liquid yeast. I've got a bit of an idea on the ingredients but some help on volumes would be good.

I've read they use cascade and nelson sauvin hops. To get nelson sauvin I'll have to order them but I've seen they're used in black rock extracts so i was thinking of using their pilsner blond. I've also heard they use crystal malt but I've never used this before so i have no idea whether this would be good. I was also thinking of using Wyeast 1056 American Ale Liquid Yeast.

If anyone can make some suggestions I would be really appreciative.

Howdy CD,

Welcome aboard AHB!

Firstly, I don't know the beer your referring to so i can't help you recipe wise, however i can give you a few tips on the other stuff.

DOn't worry about Black Rock tins, or any other pre-hopped tin, you're better off getting un-hopped liquid malt extract, use this as your base and build up from there.

Crystal malt is a modified grain you don't need to mash. All you need to do is steep it in hot (60-70 deg) water for about 30mins, then boil the liquid you collect. This will improve your extract beers out of sight if you start using it.

CHeers SJ

I can't offer assistance unfortunately...but the Mac's beers are awesome (especially the above mentioned hop rocker), would love an AG recipe for this. I think it's a Pilsner, so you'd need the right temp etc.

Had a quick look at the Macs website, and yes it appears to be a pilsner, hopped with a combo of nelson sauvin.

Maybe then, Cdmcphe, grab the Black Rock tin, get a tin of light liquid malt extract and about 500gm of light crystal malt. Step the crystal malt in about 6-7 litres of hot water (60-70) for 30 mins (you can use a small grain bag). Remove the grains, bring the liquid to the boil, add the can of unhopped light liquid malt and maybe try adding 20gms each of NS and Cascade, boil for another 10 mins. Then at flame out, add your black rock tin, so you can dissolve it. Then proceed as normal to top up to 20-22 litres in your fermenter.

Not sure about the 1056 yeast, it is a good yeast and will allow the hops to shine. However if you have the ability to ferment at about 12-14 deg, maybe try a lager yeast.

CHeers SJ

Hop rocker is fairly light in colour and body, so I probably wouldnt use all that much pale crystal if any, maybe 100gms at the max...

Youll definately want to use hops instead of pre-hopped kits for more of a fresh hop aroma and flavour..

Hop rocker used to be so awesome, but unfortunately has gone along way down hill over the last 12 months to become more like mega swill as time goes by :(

I think from memory its cascade for bittering (probably NZ but US would be heaps better), sauvin for flavour, and then cascade again for aroma..

So id probably go with say some cascade at 60mins, 15gms Sauvin at 15/20mins and 20g Cascade at 0, then maybe dry hop if youre that way inclined? And id probably just go all lme as it will give you more than enough colour, in fact, it will probably be a wee bit dark but thats ok..

And the easiest yeast would be s-05 fermented cool, or if youre feeling brave, a lager yeast :icon_cheers:

Edit : Just read you have 1056, this will be perfect, ferment it cool at say 16*c and it will be clean as!

thanks for your help everyone. I'll give it a go next brew and post the results.

cdmacphe, if you are doing all extract and not 'kit' i'd suggest getting a few tins of Extra Pale LME for an OG of around 1.055, 35IBU and steep around 350g for dextrins/light sweetness to backup some of the hops. (you don't have to, but i would.)

Hopping rate as follows:
NZ Cascade 20IBU 60 min boil
Nelson Sauvin 7 IBU 60 Min Boil
NZ Cascade 8 IBU 10 Min Boil
Nelson Sauvin 30g @ Flameout.

Cheers!

Heh, unless you were poking fun at the koiwi accent. Un whuch case yess, ut's Mecs, bro.

Hop rocker used to be so awesome, but unfortunately has gone along way down hill over the last 12 months to become more like mega swill as time goes by :(

I was in NZ in Jan and tried the Macs Hop Rocker Pilsner for the first time. I thought it was absolutely awesome. I wish I had tried it before it supposedly went down hill. As it was in January, I still dont think you could possibly class it as megaswill.

Latest posts

Back