Lyles Black Treacle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackemup

Reaction score
G'day everyone,

Has anybody here used Lyles black treacle as an adjunct in stouts and porters? What sort of flavour would it give a beer if it was used? also would it be fully fermentable or only partly fermentable?

Thanks in advance for any answers :icon_chickcheers:

Used 400g CSR Treacle which is quite dark in a toucan Molloys Stout and Coopers Dark Ale.

Quite distinctive molasses flavour came through. Need to be careful as molasses can be overpowering. I would go 300g or less next time in a 23l brew.

AFAIA the sugar content is fully fermentable and leaves the molasses in the taste.

Used 250 g of Lyles Black Treacle in an AG Choc Treacle Stout, the best Stout I've made to date. The treacle gives a richness and complexity but there is no noticable molasses flavour or aroma. The recipe uses no crystal malt and I make a similar AG recipe using 300g of sugar which attenuates more than the 250g of Treacle. I gather from these results that the Treacle is less fermentable than table sugar which one would expect.

Cheers,

Screwy

Latest posts

Back