Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was after any feedback, reviews, recommendations on digital hydrometers.

I have no problems using my $15 hydrometer, however am intrigued by the tilt and ifloat options.

I would see not having to take samples during fermentation as a benefit. I have seen reviews, David Health is one, and I wanted to get feedback from any forum members who have used or are using these devices.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

Long time user of Ispindels.
Don't rely on it to give you an accurate reading of the ferment gravity if
A) Not recently calibrated
B) any confounders in play. ie krausen sitting on the top of the floating digital hydrometer. Pressure fermenting will also skew the results. Dry hopping residue, fruit etc.

Don't let this be a negative thing though, regardless of the reading they show a trend brilliantly and you can see when the ferment is slowing down or has finished.

You will still need to use a hydrometer or refractometer to get an accurate reading of the final gravity and OG.

Fermenting something like wine it's a very boring ferment and the readings are extremely accurate / consistent with those measured if properly calibrated.

I've got a couple of Tilt Hydrometers and as with what duncanbrewer said, Sometimes you will get a dodgy reading from the krausen stuck to the hydrometer or the hop material floating about from a dry hop but they are pretty accurate at letting you know when fermentation is winding down or finished.

I'm not hijacking your thread Nick but adding a relevant question, hope you don't mind.

I too am interested in a tilt type digital hydromenter. I usually dry hop up to 250 grams using strong magnets. What effect to magnets in close proximity have on accuracy and signal strength?

Not a problem, and a good question. I also dry hop using magnets and hop bags. I also pressure ferment so I am also interested to see if this has an effect on the performance of the digital hydrometer
I'm not hijacking your thread Nick but adding a relevant question, hope you don't mind.

I too am interested in a tilt type digital hydromenter. I usually dry hop up to 250 grams using strong magnets. What effect to magnets in close proximity have on accuracy and signal strength?

Back