Low Carb Not A Healthy Beer Option, Doctor Warns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is absolute crap. The Japanese are serious drinkers. Let's see how long you last swapping your Yorkie bitters for warm sake.
I've obviously been misinformed. Have you been to Japan yourself (I haven't, just relying on anecdotes about their inability to handle alcohol)

Edit: the asian flush

This is absolute crap. The Japanese are serious drinkers. Let's see how long you last swapping your Yorkie bitters for warm sake.

Many Japanese/Koreans/Chinese are deficient in one of the enzymes that breaks down acetaldehyde. Don't know what proportion though.

But 'nutrient' is sort of off-topic to this thread. I've never said or implied that using the word 'health' in this context is a good thing.

It's only off topic if you narrow the terms of discussion down to include ONLY THIS. Discussions expand. You can't rule out tangents or extensions of discussion. Furthermore no-one actually suggested you are saying that - just that it's useless to talk about health in such limited or oversimplified terms.

If you want to stay purely on topic then the doctor's a twit for becoming alarmist about the whole lo-carb thing (omg everyone will be drinking in the streets and burning effigies and ******* goats and burning stuff because drinking is BAD!!) rather than pointing out that the kilojoule difference between the two is minimal.

No I haven't but I know quite a few Japanese people personally.

And I have tried swapping beer for warm sake...

You kind of have and haven't been misinformed. There is an element of truth to what you say about the processing of alcohol in many Asian peoples but it has nothing to do with how they hold it. They can get red/blotchy skin from being unable to process some broken down form of alcohol properly. Thought to be somewhat carcinogenic even - but it has nothing to do with what we might call alcohol tolerance.

Again, I haven't been but I do know people who've been during Cherry Blossom Festival time and shit is supposed to be epic.

Many Japanese/Koreans/Chinese are deficient in one of the enzymes that breaks down acetaldehyde. Don't know what proportion though.

Yeah, but only a specific form of it. Derived from digestion if memory serves - not an acetaldehyde present in beer au naturale.

Could the topic closer be: "So called low-carb mass marketed beers taste like crap and we dont' give a shit about them anyway" ?

Then we can all get on with talking about brewing something decent B)

I should've added that acetaldehyde is an intermediate compound in metabolism of ethanol. Their metabolism of alcohol gets stuck at acetaldehyde, and acetaldehyde (apart from being a beer/wine fault) turns your face red and causes headaches, etc.

I should've added that acetaldehyde is an intermediate compound in metabolism of ethanol. Their metabolism of alcohol gets stuck at acetaldehyde, and acetaldehyde (apart from being a beer/wine fault) turns your face red and causes headaches, etc.

But does not cause you to be a staggering idiot on two reasonably low strength commercial beers.

While I do hold Professor Pedia's research in the most exalted of esteem, I wouldn't call "light headedness" the same as being rolling drunk.

A few of my friends that are chineese only need 2 or 3 drinks to be completely smashed...on the other hand, weren't the mongolian tribes famed drinkers? Also there's a lot of stories about japanese sake etc...

While I do hold Professor Pedia's research in the most exalted of esteem, I wouldn't call "light headedness" the same as being rolling drunk.

Without getting too into racial stereotyping perhaps the Japanese men were tiny and hence had a lower alcohol metabolism. Maybe couple that with possibly being inexperienced drinkers etc. Probably multiple contributing factors.

And some of the white people you know?

Yeah, good point...sorry - wasn't meaning to offend you - I have light weight white friends too. It's just that most of my chineese friends can't drink a lot. Again - not saying this is true for everyone.

Funny thing is I remember hearing how the current champion had to step down recently as he couldn't handle his piss and repeatedly shamed himself publicly.

"Shamed himself" is not intended to be taken as a euphemism.

I Like the goat bit. we can drink while we get it on.
It's only off topic if you narrow the terms of discussion down to include ONLY THIS. Discussions expand. You can't rule out tangents or extensions of discussion. Furthermore no-one actually suggested you are saying that - just that it's useless to talk about health in such limited or oversimplified terms.

If you want to stay purely on topic then the doctor's a twit for becoming alarmist about the whole lo-carb thing (omg everyone will be drinking in the streets and burning effigies and ******* goats and burning stuff because drinking is BAD!!) rather than pointing out that the kilojoule difference between the two is minimal.

Funny thing is I remember hearing how the current champion had to step down recently as he couldn't handle his piss and repeatedly shamed himself publicly.

"Shamed himself" is not intended to be taken as a euphemism.

Actually, he (apparently) bashed his manager a couple of times, probably while on the piss though! His former position as yokozuna is highly ceremonial and requires him to follow strict traditions, something he likely didn't completely and totally respect/understand, being born and brought up in Mongolia.

Oh... and it probably didn't help that when he sat out of a tournament because of injury, he was caught playing a celebrity soccer match back home :)

Well, I think we've completely gone off the rails now. From low carb beers to sumo...

Hi, my name is Scott, and I have made low-carb beer.

It was a riot, the first time we started of at about 1.047 and went negative 1. Like a 6.2% ABV low carb beer. We called it Legs Opena' in the brewery, cos' holy Jesus (said with Spanish effect) it as easy to drink and stuff.

Now technically, Salaryman with red face are called 'Takosama'. 'Tako', meaning Octopus (the local Jap variety go red when boiled and are mighty tasty - hence the red bit) and 'Sama' the highest level of honouriphic in the 3 tiered Japanese language system based on honour for a male (meanwhile taking the piss). Folks go pretty red and both the men and women with the affliction figure it out in early teens round the biru jidohambagi (yep the old beer vending machine, mine spat out 5l spaceships of Sapparo at a go and sounded like a cow giving birth to a combine harvester at 10.55pm - they shut off at 11pm - sometimes you had to line up!)

Anyway, I have also lived in the US, the country we are 15 years behind for low carb beer. 15 years ago, Bud and Miller LITE were 'less filling' low carb beers, and it seems the Americans have formed a Y-fork in the road. Support some local craft beer and drink domestic when unavailable, or simply consume an alcoholic delivery device.

Lets be blunt: its a tough as crap beverage to ship from Melb to Perth or Brisbane to Cairns and taste somewhat the same. But it aint beer, it aint local. I am not sure why we need to get so steamed up about it though. The collective AHB does not touch the stuff, let the populace eat cake, our snouts are in other troughs!

Scotty

Back