Low Carb Not A Healthy Beer Option, Doctor Warns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sprung :p Actually that's SWMBO's, I don't eat bread - I have a 3 egg omelette plus some fruit for brekkie, and just about live on curry and rice for the remainder.

Sprung :p Actually that's SWMBO's, I don't eat bread - I have a 3 egg omelette plus some fruit for brekkie, and just about live on curry and rice for the remainder.

typical piss head diet!

BribieG.

Black and Gold sour cream, and home brand Mozzarella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheap arse,

But PRIME BEEF DRIPPING, Now Ya talking Laddie!!!!

Ooh La la ------------- would love to have a schnitzel and chips at your house Yum........

and of course, beer,

The attitude above is no smarter than the fictitious example of someone thinking a diet coke will cancel out a mars bar. The funny thing is that one example is fictitious and the other isn't.

Sorry, explain to me why fresh juice (or milk) is less healthy (not just kilojoule wise) than a can of diet pepsi?

Maybe food with no kilojoules made from aspartame is healthier than a piece of broccoli too?

Just like light cigarettes are better for you, yeah right.
I only fell for that for 1 pack when I smoked. I drew the guts out of each fag, suckin it deep into my lungs tryin to get a fix. Then I went back on the PJ dark blues, B&H Gold and Marlboro Reds. Just a couple of gentle takes and I was pacified.

Get your cholesterol checked BribieG, people have been dying of heart disease for centuries.

Sorry, explain to me why fresh juice (or milk) is less healthy (not just kilojoule wise) than a can of diet pepsi?

Maybe food with no kilojoules made from aspartame is healthier than a piece of broccoli too?

There are two examples given in this thread.

In one of them KJ is conveniently the only measure used. In the other one it is conveniently disregarded.

I made it pretty clear I was referring to 'healthiness' in terms of kj content, which is consistent with the original argument that this thread is about, and people seemed happy to agree with.

I somehow think that 50 years ago we may have worked a little harder, working of the intake maybe? I say this because every photo I see of that era there all thin. What are your thoughts? :(

There are two examples given in this thread.

In one of them KJ is conveniently the only measure used. In the other one it is conveniently disregarded.

I made it pretty clear I was referring to 'healthiness' in terms of kj content, which is consistent with the original argument that this thread is about, and people seemed happy to agree with.

Kilojoules as an expression of health is a nonsense.

Excessive intake of kilojoules will lead to fat storage which can lead to obesity and related health problems. Insufficient intake of kilojoules can also lead to health problems.

If you stated that lo carb beers contain less kilojoules than regular beer or that diet drinks have less kilojoules than fruit juice you'd be right. You'd be making a fairly redundant point as most people are probably aware of it but you'd be right.

To state that they are healthier in terms of kilojoules means nothing.

Kilojoules as an expression of health is a nonsense.

Excessive intake of kilojoules will lead to fat storage which can lead to obesity and related health problems. Insufficient intake of kilojoules can also lead to health problems.

If you stated that lo carb beers contain less kilojoules than regular beer or that diet drinks have less kilojoules than fruit juice you'd be right. You'd be making a fairly redundant point as most people are probably aware of it but you'd be right.

To state that they are healthier in terms of kilojoules means nothing.

Absolutely spot on.

Yeah you can't beat exercise for health but you gonna need carbohydrates for that. So it's full carb and flat out, a sausage and eggs in every can.
I'm not sure we are less energetic than we were 50 years ago on the whole. There are a lot of gym junkies and joggers about, probably more athletes for that matter.
I don't think a lot of the factory workers of the 50' and 60's worked that hard, not since the invention of the machine anyway.

Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners have not been proven to be harmful unless consumed in ridiculous doses (of the order of many litres of diet soft drink daily). Only few have adverse reactions to aspartame (phenylketonuria, I think it is?).

A diet soft drink is better for you than it's full-sugar counterpart, unless you need the sugar for some reason.

I'm hypoglycemic, you douche.

Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners have not been proven to be harmful unless consumed in ridiculous doses (of the order of many litres of diet soft drink daily). Only few have adverse reactions to aspartame (phenylketonuria, I think it is?).

A diet soft drink is better for you than it's full-sugar counterpart, unless you need the sugar for some reason.

Your right in saying that artificial sweeteners are not harmful in small doses, but standard soft drinks arent harmful in small doses either. This is a mute argument because if you feel you should drink artificially sweetened soft drink then you probably shouldnt drink it at all. My personal opinion is we probably consume too much of this anyway.

Cheers.

If someone is concerned with being healthy, there are better options than shitty sweet soda drinks whether they contain artificial sweeteners or plain sugar.

Smoking 8 cigarettes a day is better for you than smoking 25.

It's not just about whether they are 'better' - they might be (marginally) in some respects. They might not be in some others (I'm sure the research is not conclusive). It's more about how they are marketted as somehow being a healthy option when people should be being encouraged to eat appropriate sized meals of fresh and freshly prepared produce at appropriate points of the day, drink water and exercise and see sugary/sweet/junk style stuff as a treat rather than as a regular option.

What we need is beer with a high glycemic index, full of vitamins and minerals plus something to stop dehydration.

What we need is beer with a high glycemic index, full of vitamins and minerals plus something to stop dehydration.

:eek:

Noooooooo! It'd have to be low GI, 98% fat free, organic, made from plant seeds, carbon neutral and innoculated with the teardrop of a Tibetan Yak...

Vitamin B: check.

Slow release energy (over the course of the evening I feel 101 times stronger): check low)

Water: check.

Beer it is.

* Did you mean low glycemic index?

:eek:

Noooooooo! It'd have to be low GI, 98% fat free, organic, made from plant seeds, carbon neutral and innoculated with the teardrop of a Tibetan Yak...

Oh shit yeah, low GI, that's what I meant. Lack of sleep.

Back