Looking For My Next Brew.. A Brown Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good move visiting craftbrewer.
Hope you will have fun this weekend.

A couple more tips or options (you still have time to prepare).

Make sure you aerate well (by splashing and sloshing) water first and than cooled wort in your fermenter.

Add a packet of baking yeast to the boil (at least a 5 minutes before the end), this will provide extra yeast nutritient, heat will kill these yeast.

Your esky is providing a very good insulation so using frozen water bottles will work well enough to control temperature.
Once you have wort cooled to pitching temperature and yeast sprinkled on top put it into your esky with extra bottles of ice to cool it down to around 18C.
As a very rough guide 1kg of ice (1.25l pet bottle) will cool 23-25 litres of wort by 2.5C while melting.
So if your wort is 27C placing ~4kg of ice in the esky will result in wort temperature dropping to desired 18C after about 12 hours.

For the first 3-4 days when fermentation is going strong there is a fair bit of heat generated in fermenter so you will have to put 2-3kg of ice inside the esky to keep it at 18C, later when fermentation slows down 1-2kg will be enough to keep it at correct temperature.
You do not need the wet towel inside the esky, just place the fermenter and ice bottles together inside and keep the lid closed. It will work better (I know I repeat what have said already in your other thread but I sort of earn my crust dealing with cooling things down).

Have fun.
Thank you I will do. :) I will definately post updates on this one.

Thank you I will do. :) I will definately post updates on this one.

I have started this today. the longest part is waiting the 40 mins to add the 2nd lot of hops. I have cleaned and all pepared for the fermenter.

It is smelling good. I will take a sg when I place in the fermenter. before pitching yeast. Understandably I will need to adjust the sg reading according to the temperature of the mix.

I have started this today. the longest part is waiting the 40 mins to add the 2nd lot of hops. I have cleaned and all pepared for the fermenter.

It is smelling good. I will take a sg when I place in the fermenter. before pitching yeast. Understandably I will need to adjust the sg reading according to the temperature of the mix.

Took a SG at 28 degrees of 1046

Pitches yeast at 26 degrees

looking to get temp down to 18 degrees.

final SG of 1014 at 18 degrees should see me near 5% in the bottle

According to the Kit and Extract Beer designer spreadsheet this is a Belgian Specialty Ale style

Took a SG at 28 degrees of 1046

Pitches yeast at 26 degrees

looking to get temp down to 18 degrees.

final SG of 1014 at 18 degrees should see me near 5% in the bottle

According to the Kit and Extract Beer designer spreadsheet this is a Belgian Specialty Ale style

Took an SG reading today of 1020 @ 19%

The brew sort of smells like beer, and it smells sweet. I am a little concerned. When I took the sample it contained a couple of sludgy looking bits and the brew looks quite cloudy with not many bubbles.

For this brew I used glad wrap and the rubber ring. I know it has a seal because the glad wrap is convex on top of the fermenter.

I tasted a little and it tasted l sort of like beer. I have kept the sample in a glass covered in glad wrap and placed it in the fridge. I want to see what it looks like tomorrow in the glass. Mayby picking up the fermenter has stirred the bottom up on it.

There is a white yeast cake formed on the bottom. So hopeing all will be well.

Being my first extract beer I am a bit nervous with the whole steeping the grain and adding the hops.

I know that patience is the key, but if my beer is infected what sort of signs would I be looking for? The yeast seems to be working, is it possible to be infected?

Cheers,

Philip

Took an SG reading today of 1020 @ 19%

The brew sort of smells like beer, and it smells sweet. I am a little concerned. When I took the sample it contained a couple of sludgy looking bits and the brew looks quite cloudy with not many bubbles.

All is good.
You probably have some hop floaters, that is small flakes of hops from pellets, nothing to worry about.

If the fermentation was going well at the beginning and now only few bubbles are visible it means that most of fermentation is over. Nottingham are hungry and fast yeast.

For this brew I used glad wrap and the rubber ring. I know it has a seal because the glad wrap is convex on top of the fermenter.

I tasted a little and it tasted l sort of like beer. I have kept the sample in a glass covered in glad wrap and placed it in the fridge. I want to see what it looks like tomorrow in the glass. Mayby picking up the fermenter has stirred the bottom up on it.

There is a white yeast cake formed on the bottom. So hopeing all will be well.

Being my first extract beer I am a bit nervous with the whole steeping the grain and adding the hops.

I know that patience is the key, but if my beer is infected what sort of signs would I be looking for? The yeast seems to be working, is it possible to be infected?

Cheers,

Philip

All is good.
You have fermentation going on.
You have yeast cake at the bottom.
Looks like beer in making.
Smells like beer in making.
Tastes like beer in making.

I would guess that you are making beer. :rolleyes:

No infection.

Now just leave it be and relax.
Change the ice bottles from time to time (without stressing about a degree ot two either way, critical first few days are over).
Fermentation will finish, maybe it will reach 1.014 maybe a bit above.
Yeast, cloudy stuff and most of hop pieces will drop down (you may have some hop floaters remaining), Notthingham flocculates very well (drops suspended pieces down).

Let the yeast just do it's thing.
It has only been 4 or 5 days.
After 10 days you may slow down with your ice bottles and let it warm up to 20-21C
Taste from time to time.
At the end of 2 weeks bottle it.
It will be a bit cloudy at bottling, it will take about 2 weeks to carbonate and clear.

It will taste very different from commercial beer.

To fill the time start planning next brew.

All is good.
You probably have some hop floaters, that is small flakes of hops from pellets, nothing to worry about.

If the fermentation was going well at the beginning and now only few bubbles are visible it means that most of fermentation is over. Nottingham are hungry and fast yeast.

All is good.
You have fermentation going on.
You have yeast cake at the bottom.
Looks like beer in making.
Smells like beer in making.
Tastes like beer in making.

I would guess that you are making beer. :rolleyes:

No infection.

Now just leave it be and relax.
Change the ice bottles from time to time (without stressing about a degree ot two either way, critical first few days are over).
Fermentation will finish, maybe it will reach 1.014 maybe a bit above.
Yeast, cloudy stuff and most of hop pieces will drop down (you may have some hop floaters remaining), Notthingham flocculates very well (drops suspended pieces down).

Let the yeast just do it's thing.
It has only been 4 or 5 days.
After 10 days you may slow down with your ice bottles and let it warm up to 20-21C
Taste from time to time.
At the end of 2 weeks bottle it.
It will be a bit cloudy at bottling, it will take about 2 weeks to carbonate and clear.

It will taste very different from commercial beer.

To fill the time start planning next brew.

Thanks for that :) am leaving it sit.

It rained last night and the temp in the esky got down to 14 degrees. I have got it on its way back up to 18 degrees now.

The smell is a sweet fruity aroma. is that the Amarillo hops?

From the sounds of it your beer has a yeast infection. The type that makes beer. :p

It might take four or so weeks before it's drinkable, but when it's ready it will be the best beer you have made, by a long shot. Keep up the good work.

From the sounds of it your beer has a yeast infection. The type that makes beer. :p

It might take four or so weeks before it's drinkable, but when it's ready it will be the best beer you have made, by a long shot. Keep up the good work.

:icon_chickcheers:

Well Guys the SG was sitting at 1014 since Sunday the 27th and so I Bottled today.

The brew actually looked great and smelled great. 14 1/2 days in the fermenter.

Looking forward to tasting this one in a month or so and seeing how it improves as time goes by.

Thank you to all for this one :)

Now to planning my first BIAB

Phil

Well Guys the SG was sitting at 1014 since Sunday the 27th and so I Bottled today.

The brew actually looked great and smelled great. 14 1/2 days in the fermenter.

Looking forward to tasting this one in a month or so and seeing how it improves as time goes by.

Thank you to all for this one :)

Now to planning my first BIAB

Phil

Hi Guys,

Well I could not wait. It has been in the bottle exactly 21 days (3 weeks).

I put a bottle in the fridge about lunch time and cracked it open at about 5:30pm.

It was a clean, clear brown color. The Amarillo hops had put a nice fruity flavour through it and it was one of the best beers I have tasted.

This one goes on my list to do as often as I can. It was awesome. I even got a great little head when poured into the glass and plenty of carbination.

szopen - Thank you :) Thank you.

Phil

Hi Guys,

Well I could not wait. It has been in the bottle exactly 21 days (3 weeks).

I put a bottle in the fridge about lunch time and cracked it open at about 5:30pm.

It was a clean, clear brown color. The Amarillo hops had put a nice fruity flavour through it and it was one of the best beers I have tasted.

This one goes on my list to do as often as I can. It was awesome. I even got a great little head when poured into the glass and plenty of carbination.

szopen - Thank you :) Thank you.

Phil

Well I know its an old post, I have been enjoying this one since late January 2012 and its gets better all the time. This one is definitely on the list to brew again. :)

My third brew turned out fantastic (in my not so humble opinion) and if you want to try to do something more thank straight kit this might be a good idea.

Go to Craftbrewer in Capalaba and buy:
1 (1.5kg) container of Briess Munich malt extract (50:50 base malt and munich), 13.6$
1 (1.5kg) container of Briess Wheat malt extract (65:35 base malt and wheat) 13.6$ (not visible in online store but present on the shelf)
1 bag of dextrose (you will use half for this brew) 3$
1 90g pack of Amarillo hops ~9$ (you will use half for this brew)
200g of Caramunich I and 300g of Carared cracked grain (total 500g) ~3$
1 packet of Nottingham yeast 4.5$
1 bag 12"X12" ~7$ (a bit big for this time but you will use it again, better than too small).

(Malt extracts as above will give you base similar to Dr Smurto Golden Ale)

On brew day prepare:
-sanitized fermenter (including cleaning and sanitizing taps) and mixing spoon.
- one 2-3l pot (small pot)
- one 9l pot (big pot)
- one large bowl
- 3 soft drink bottles filled with water (to 80%) and frozen.

First step: steeping grains.
Boil a kettle of water.
Put your cracked grains in the bag (over a large bowl as some fines will go through the mesh).
Pour 1.5 litre of boiling water into small pot, add 1 litre of cold tap water, mix,
Put you bag with cracked grain in, mix a bit, cover and let it sit for 30 minutes.
Lift the bag out, gently squeeze, place in the bowl.
Pour your steepings into big pot.
Again
Pour 1.5 litre of boiling water into small pot, add 1 litre of cold tap water, mix,
Put you bag with cracked grain in, mix a bit, cover and let it sit for 30 minutes.
Lift the bag out, squeeze well, place in the bowl.
Pour your steepings into big pot.

Put the big pot on the stove, add 500g of dextrose (half a bag), fill up to approx 5 litres and start heating.

Empty your grain bag, chuck away spent grain, give it a rinse.

Open your packet of hops, take out half of contents onto a plate, divide into 3 parts (each ~15g).
Close well the packet with remaining hops and put it in the freezer.

Once the wort starts boiling it's time to start adding hops.
You may just chuck them in (easy way) but there is a small risk of hop floaters in the bottles (as happened in my brew, no problem for me) or use your grain bag as hop bag.

Add 1/3 of hops, start the clock, this is your 60m addition,
After 40 minutes add second 1/3, this is your 20m addition,
After 20 minutes, add remaining 1/3 and turn off the fire, this is your flameout 0m addition.

Add both containers of malt extract in, mix well with sanitized spoon, cover and put into laundry tub filled with cold water to cool down. Change water until wort is cold.

Add 10 litres of cold tap water into the fermenter splashing well.
Take the big pot from laundry tub, take out the hop bag if you used it, gently pour wort into the fermenter leaving the very last 200-300 ml of trub in the pot.

Fill the fermenter up to 25 litres.

Place your fermenter in your esky, put the 3 ice bottles beside, close the door.

When temperature of the wort in fermenter drops below 26C sprinkle your yeast on top and start fermenting.

You will need to rotate your ice bottles every morning and evening, 2 or 3 each time to keep temperature around 18-20C.

(If you don't have a 9 litre pot, use 5-6 litre one for boiling and cooling wort and than again to dissolve the extract.)

Looks like a good recipe to have a crack at - I'm waiting for my third beer which is mid way through the fermentation so this may well be a good option for beer no. 4.

Looks like a good recipe to have a crack at - I'm waiting for my third beer which is mid way through the fermentation so this may well be a good option for beer no. 4.

I found it was a good step towards BIAB. Its a great tasting beer. Very refreshing. I will take a pic of one poured in a glass and post it for you. Will be on the weekend.

Hi guys and gals,

it's been a while but I have just ordered the ingredients to make the brown beer that szopen shared in the thread.

At the moment I don't have room for a full mash type set up, so I am sticking with the extract brewing using my 10 litre pot.

I am not sure if szopen is still active here,but I want to say thank you so much for not only sharing this recipe, but also thank you for sharing all the how too's in the step by step guide.

When i first did this one in 2012 it created such a passion for creating a beer that I am starting back out making it.

I encourage anyone who wants to step up from straight tins to working with grains, specialty yeasts and hops, to start the journey with this one.

Thank you szopen!

Using glad wrap.

What the beer looked like cracking one open 3 years later.

IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

Hi Phil,

My fav brown is the American Brown Ale style. The following is my 3rd version and one I'll be doing time & time again. It's a variation of the Coopers "Ol Brown Dog" recipe.

Cheers,

Pete

Spicy Grizzly Bear Ale (V3)
[SIZE=18pt](23 Litres)[/SIZE]​
This recipe makes a hoppy version of the American Brown Ale style (category 10.C. of the BJCP guidelines). The end result is a rich dark brown ale displaying a creamy beige head, rich coffee/chocolate aromas combined with citrus undertones and a hint of spiciness from the 2 Rye malts.

Ingredients
  • 1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
  • 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt
  • 500g Light Dry Malt
  • 200grams CaraMunich3 Malt
  • 200grams Rye Malt
  • 200grams CaraPils Malt
  • 300grams Shepherds Delight Malt
  • 100grams Chocolate Rye
  • 100grams Belgium Special B Malt
  • 90grams Experimental Pine Fruit Hops
  • 90grams Falconers Flight Hops
  • 3 X American Ale Yeast Packs

• Colour: Brown (EBC= 59)
  • Body: Medium-Heavy
  • Bitterness: Medium (IBU=32)
  • Approx. Alcohol Level: 5.9%
Step 1: Mix
In a good sized pot (around 15 Litres), mix the malts with 6 litres of hot water (not boiling – 65C to 70C) and let steep for 40 minutes.
After 40 mins, strain the grain and add the grain liquid back into the pot then add another 2 litres of water, add 500grams of LDME and bring to the boil. Start with approximately 8 Litres.
Once boiling start timer for a 30 mins boil.
At Flame-out add 45g of Exp. Pine Fruit & 45g Falconers Flight Hops, stir well and let sit for 15 mins.
Set the pot in a cold/ice water bath to cool to around 18C to 20C. Then strain into sanitised fermenting vessel.
Then add the Dark Ale can, Amber Malt can and stir well.
Top up with cool water to the 23 litre mark and stir thoroughly.
Check the brew temperature and get as close as possible to 18C.
Sprinkle one the dry yeast and lightly stir into wort, then sprinkle second yeast on top of wort, fit the lid and ferment at 18C.
Step 2: Brew/Dry-Hop Schedule
Fermenting Temp Schedule:
- First 7 days @ 18C,
- On Day 8 raise to 21C,
- 3 days from bottling drop to 2C + dry-hop addition*.

*3 Days before bottling, add 45grams of Exp. Pine Fruit hops & 45grams of Falconers Flight Hops in sanitised mesh hop bag.

Thank you Pete.

Looks like a great recipe:)

I think I need a bigger pot. Mine is only 10 liters

PhilipB said:
Thank you Pete.

Looks like a great recipe:)

I think I need a bigger pot. Mine is only 10 liters
No worries, Phil.

I got my 20Litre pot at Crazy Clarks for $10 and it's been going well for a couple of years now. Perfect for a 10L boil - plenty of head room in case the foam rises up when you aren't looking. You can always simply do a 7L boil in your 10L pot.

Cheers,
Pete

Back