Looking For My Next Brew.. A Brown Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big W do a 19 litre Stockpot for $20. They are also great for doing half sized BIAB batches, etc. I still use mine to heat the sparge water for my Grainfather

LAGERFRENZY said:
Big W do a 19 litre Stockpot for $20. They are also great for doing half sized BIAB batches, etc. I still use mine to heat the sparge water for my Grainfather
Thank you

I started looking around for a bigger pot.

The ferment started well with a good cover of froth on top. It disappeared after two days.

think this has stalled at 1020 sugar level reading :(

No yeast activity.

The yeast cake on the bottom is very thin. I gave it a stir with a sanitized stirrer in hope for the yeast to kick start.

Nothing :(

Shall I re pitch yeast? From memory it should go down to 1005

[SIZE=10.5pt]Phil,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]That all sounds typical to be honest. You will generally get a couple of days of noticable fermentation activity then it will drop off. That doesn't mean the fermentation process has stopped though just because you aren't hearing or seeing anything. Depending on the type of brew and gravity etc. the actual fermentation process could go 5 to 10 days in duration.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The most important aspect is to have an understanding right at the start what your brew figures are and what your yeast pitch rate should be. In other words calculate how many yeast cells are required for your batch given your desired pitch rate and if you have enough yeast. I use the Brewers Friend brewing system, which will tell me all this.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]But in general terms. For a standard 23Litre batch of American Pale Ale with an ABV of around 5% I'd use 2 packets of US-05 yeast. If the pale ale was to be higher - say a 7+% IPA etc. then I'd probably use 3 packets. But I rarely use only one packet these days - 2 packets is my standard pitching rate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hope this makes sense? And sorry for not responding before now.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cheers,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pete[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

That's awesome that a thread from like 4 years ago is commemorated as a basis for ones appreciation of a craft.

Hey, gigantosaurus, I looked at that yeast calc. I've attached a screenshot, but I believe I have under pitched (started ferment last Sunday, reading past two days of 1.02 (was keeping an eye on this as I had a weird og reading))
Should I wait or bung another packet of Nottingham in? I know it's only been 5 days.
I used one originally but I think the calc. is saying I should have used 3!!

Is there any harm in pitching more yeast just to be sure?
I think I will be using minimum 2 packets from now on.

Edit: I forgot about reading about degassing samples, I just did that and it's 1.016. Target was 1.015. So I guess they did their thing.

tmp_10779-Screenshot_20161217-102238-1470382873.png

Beil said:
That's awesome that a thread from like 4 years ago is commemorated as a basis for ones appreciation of a craft.

Hey, gigantosaurus, I looked at that yeast calc. I've attached a screenshot, but I believe I have under pitched (started ferment last Sunday, reading past two days of 1.02 (was keeping an eye on this as I had a weird og reading))
Should I wait or bung another packet of Nottingham in? I know it's only been 5 days.
I used one originally but I think the calc. is saying I should have used 3!!

Is there any harm in pitching more yeast just to be sure?
I think I will be using minimum 2 packets from now on.

Edit: I forgot about reading about degassing samples, I just did that and it's 1.016. Target was 1.015. So I guess they did their thing.

Beil,

Throwing an extra yeast in now won't harm the brew. But you may have to give it an extra week in the fermenter just to be sure fermentation has finished.

Re the yeast calculator. I tend to take the approach that if 2 packets get me close to the suggested level then work with that. If I'm way short of the suggested yeast level, then add another one. This approached has produced good beer to date.

Cheers,
Pete

Hi guys,

Threw the extra packet of yeast in on Friday and it was quite active through Saturday and today.

I am looking to check and bottle on Wednesday.

Cheers,

Philip

PhilipB said:
Hi guys,
Threw the extra packet of yeast in on Friday and it was quite active through Saturday and today.
I am looking to check and bottle on Wednesday.
Cheers,
Philip
Well guys the start SG was 1042 and the finish was 1010.

Bottled today. 4.42%

Now to get ready for my Kilkenny style

IMG_4798.JPGIMG_4799.JPG

Latest posts

Back