Looking For Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgirl

Reaction score
Hey.... The Brewcraft Munich Lager kit that came with the set up I bought has just been sitting in the cupboard, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what would be good to add to it... Or should I just make it as is. It came with the brewcraft brewblend no.15 larger enhancer, a mix of dextrose, malt extract and corn syrup.

It sugests using saflager yeast instead of the one under the cap, but I don't have my fridge set up for that.... I don't know if I should wait until I've got some proper temp control set up before I brew another beer, coz its been really hot lately, and I don't my next batch to smell as fruity as my first one. I tried to keep it cool, but I don't think it worked real well. I might just do a cider until I get my fridge done.

Thanx

Brewgirl

My very last kit based beer was one of these. I added around 300g of Carafa III, and 1kg of DME, with a 15 minute boil and some hallertau additions for quite a decent Schwarzbier fermented with W34/70. Attenuation was low. finished at 1.017, but was quite good anyway. Would have been better with some more attenuation, but you can't argue with yeast, they do what they like. :p

My very last kit based beer was one of these. I added around 300g of Carafa III, and 1kg of DME, with a 15 minute boil and some hallertau additions for quite a decent Schwarzbier fermented with W34/70. Attenuation was low. finished at 1.017, but was quite good anyway. Would have been better with some more attenuation, but you can't argue with yeast, they do what they like. :p

hmmm... being new to this, I'm not quite up with the all brewing terms and stuff... I think I got about a 1/2 of that. Thanx anyway... I'll do some looking up of things so I know what you're talking about....

Thanx... I'm learning new stuff everyday

so hallertau went well with this kit?

i got given one for christmas off the gf's parents.

was it too malty/sweet with 1kg of DME?

I was thinking maybe 500g of DME and 1kg dextrose to keep it not too heavy in body for sessioning a bit. was going to do a 20min boil with some hallertau and ferment with saflager s-23.

Hey.... The Brewcraft Munich Lager kit that came with the set up I bought has just been sitting in the cupboard, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what would be good to add to it... Or should I just make it as is. It came with the brewcraft brewblend no.15 larger enhancer, a mix of dextrose, malt extract and corn syrup.

It sugests using saflager yeast instead of the one under the cap, but I don't have my fridge set up for that.... I don't know if I should wait until I've got some proper temp control set up before I brew another beer, coz its been really hot lately, and I don't my next batch to smell as fruity as my first one. I tried to keep it cool, but I don't think it worked real well. I might just do a cider until I get my fridge done.

Thanx

Brewgirl
you could try this got one in the fridge ready to bottle .....last time i did this recipe it came up really well...though i didn't use Brewcraft Munich Lager kit ...just the normal coopers lager ...don't think there would be much difference between the two really once all the other stuff is chucked with it...

coopers lager kit
750 g ldm
250 g dried wheat malt
350 g dextrose

300 g caramunich malt grain (steeped 1/2 hour @ 80/c then bloiled 15 mins)
20 g chocolate grain (steeped 1/2 hour @ 80/c then bloiled 15 mins)

12 g Hersbrucker hops @ 15 mins
10 g Tettnanger hops @ 15 mins
5 g Hersbrucker hops @ 5 mins
5 g Tettnanger hops @ 5 mins
5 g Hersbrucker hops @ 0-1 mins
5 g Tettnanger hops @ 0-1 mins

us -56 ale yeast
yeast pitched at about 16 -18 /c

also on the yeast problem...i tend to use us-56 or whatever its called these days (safale -05 ?...red safale packet anyway) it ferments really clean and doesn't require as low temperatures as the saflager strains...so if you can keep your brew below 20/c it may be an option...

any questions just ask ok ..
cheers simpletotoro

hmmm... being new to this, I'm not quite up with the all brewing terms and stuff... I think I got about a 1/2 of that. Thanx anyway... I'll do some looking up of things so I know what you're talking about....

Thanx... I'm learning new stuff everyday
Welcome o the obsession BrewGirl! I'll explain some of the terms in my post, so if you already know some of them, that's cool. Okay, Carafa III is a type of malt. It is a black roasted malt made by Weyermann in Germany, and is used in darker beers for a dark colour and roasty flavour. 300g was probably a little too much, so you may like to look around at some schwarzbier recipes and substitute a smaller amount or even a different grain. Carafa II or possibly even chocolate malt for a more of a "Tooheys Old" type colour.

DME is Dried Malt Extract, and is available at your favourite (Local) HomeBrew Shop ((L)HBS).

As I said in my post, it didn't attenuate as well as I had hoped. Attenuation is the measurement of how much sugars the yeast gobble up and convert to alcohol. Mine ended up at about 4.3%, and probably a little too sweet, so as 0M39A says, you could substitute some dextrose to dry it out some more. The Munich lager kit should be a bit maltier than other lagers kits, so some dextrose wouldn't be a bad idea.

The Hallertau is a German noble variety of hop, and works very well in a Schwarzbier (or any German beer really). I used Hallertau Mittelfrueh, but just about any German hop could be used: Hallertauer Mittelfrueh, Hallertauer Hersbrucker, Tettnanger, even Czech Saaz (Mmmm Saaz.... :drool: ) would probably work.

I hope this clears up a few of the jargon. Feel free to ask more questions or PM me if you need any more clarification.

edit: splelgin

Latest posts

Back