Looking for a food dehydrator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyg8

Reaction score
I've got the sunbeam, had it for 6yrs, probably done around 120 batches of jerky and it's still going strong got mine from the good guys for $99.

Mattg8, I had the sunbeam for about 5 years and does a great job. I bought a aldi one start of the year and I prefer it. It's larger, so it holds more, has a digital timer/ display and the fan unit is on the bottom not the top like the sunbeam. However I'm sure the aldi one will not last 5 years.

yeah few options, hopefully the aldi one is on sale again soon otherwise just get the sunbeam

I got the sunbeam for 60 bucks at Bing Lee.
It's worth a look around.

EziDri Snackmaker

7 years and going strong

Can expand up to 15 trays

Dehydrating is very addictive, jerky, fruit etc

Cheers

Seaquebrew said:
EziDri Snackmaker

7 years and going strong

Can expand up to 15 trays

Dehydrating is very addictive, jerky, fruit etc

Cheers
It says it can go up to 63deg but isnt most jerky needed to be about 70deg?

Beef stroganoff from the butcher is an easy way.
When I'm in a hurry I use beef stroganoff with Costco spicy gourmet marinade.
Also cubed beef makes awesome jerky chunks.

I've got a Fowlers Vacola, not sure what model (Mrs Wibble purchased)
It looks like this - http://fowlersvacola.com.au/shop/fowlers-kits/the-ultimate-dehydrator

But it's > 10 years old, >15 maybe?
Absolutely good as brand new.

They're a bit pricey, that's the only problem.

Lately I've been pre-drying (very lightly) vegetables before pickling.
But also done stuff like chamomile flower heads for wheat-beer addition.

Go the Tribest Sedona! Had ours for 4 years now and no issues - still 1 year warranty left too (they come with a 5 year warranty :D)

Picked up an ezidri snackmaker, Has anyone used the Hi Mountain Jerky Seasoning and Cure packs, was looking at trying one to start off

Soy sauce, worcestershire, salt, pepper, garlic, honey, chilli, more chilli, more chilli, liquid smoke, random sauces to taste
I get a lot of really good reviews for my jerky, most of the time I just use whatever is in front of me when I open the pantry to marinade
I use silverside and slice with a deli slicer to get it nice and thin, dry in big pieces

Sounds good!

sp0rk said:
Soy sauce, worcestershire, salt, pepper, garlic, honey, chilli, more chilli, more chilli, liquid smoke, random sauces to taste
I get a lot of really good reviews for my jerky, most of the time I just use whatever is in front of me when I open the pantry to marinade
I use silverside and slice with a deli slicer to get it nice and thin, dry in big pieces
Sounds good!

mattyg8 said:
Picked up an ezidri snackmaker, Has anyone used the Hi Mountain Jerky Seasoning and Cure packs, was looking at trying one to start off[/size]
Try some of the simple recipes in the instruction book first, then adjust to your taste. Marinade and then add dry seasonings before dehydrating

Lean corned silverside is excellent as mentioned before

Tried preprepared seasonings once and found it disappointing.

Cheers

Seaquebrew said:
Try some of the simple recipes in the instruction book first, then adjust to your taste. Marinade and then add dry seasonings before dehydrating

Lean corned silverside is excellent as mentioned before

Tried preprepared seasonings once and found it disappointing.

Cheers
Yeah Ive just seen the recipes in the manual so ill start with that

Latest posts

Back