Digital Thermometer <- thermapen alternatives

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hez

Reaction score
Hi,

I couldn't find a recent post about this using google and the old ones have links to ebay or other sites without names or description so I couldn't find almost anything.
Currently I'm using a crystal thermometer and I beleive it is very accurate, but I have to keep it submerged all the time and I would like to have another one for the other stuff, a faster one.

Everyone say: thermapen thermapen thermapen.
The thing is I can not find any thermapen in Australia cheaper than 150$ !!
I don't want to spend 150$ on a thermometer but I don't want to waste money on cheap stuff (ikea, chinese unbranded shit) for having to spend more money on a decent one later, do you know what I mean?

Reading yanky forums, other people say CDN is also a good brand, very reliable and well calibrated, and on ebay you can find them here un Australia.

These are the three ones I've liked the most. Which one do you think would be better? any other option on the 50$ range? or is it too cheap for a good thermometer?

- CDN Digital Thermometer Waterproof Instant Read Stainless Steel Extra Long Probe (~42$ shipment included)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CDN-Dig...051066?hash=item360b7e27ba:g:qr4AAOSwDkVaA5rH

- CDN Pocket Food & Cooking Thermometer Kitchen/Bbq/Meat/Poultry/Steak 450ÁF New (~28$ shipment included)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CDN-Poc...496803&hash=item360b7de5bb:g:dIUAAOSwiYlaA4df

- This is from the same guys who make the famous thermapen, but a cheaper and slower version:
Thermoworks RT600C Super-fast Water Resistant Pocket Thermometer (~47$ shipment included):
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermow...608021?hash=item2cca2e8795:g:i9gAAOSwUYNaE5Eu

Thank you!

wow! great price!
And the otherone seems really good for less than half. they say:
"During testing we were able to cross check with a calibrated thermapen and found 100% within 0.1 °C at mash temperatures between 45 & 76 °C."

Thermapen IS worth the money.

You need to buy from Ebay UK to get the best price. I've bought 2 in the past. Took about 2 weeks for delivery.

ie. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sherbert...479149&hash=item56a579c5e7:g:6T8AAOSwwDJZ4JE-

~$55 AUD + delivery will be around $20-30 bucks AUD

This one is very suspicious... only 24pounds! I tried to contact the seller but ebay says: "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high number of emails this seller receives, they aren't able to respond to your specific question right now. "
:S

What if I purchase it and then he doesn't ship it to Australia? It says they only ship to europe and asia.
I've also looked into ebay USA and they are much more expensive!

I do BIAB, do you think it would be worth it to by the thermapen instead of the one wereprawn recommends?
And between that one and the others I found?

National homebrew charges for the shipping, last time I bought some hops and lactic acid it was ~8$, so it is ~110$ thermapen vs ~45$ uk unbranded thermometer or the equivalent from thermaworks or the CDN one

+1 for Thermapen. Like zeggie says UK eBay and keep an eye on this forum. People are quick to spot bargains and post them up for others to take advantage of. This is where I found out eBay was having a special. Cost me about $70 delivered from my hazy memory.

This one is very suspicious... only 24pounds!

What if I purchase it and then he doesn't ship it to Australia? It says they only ship to europe and asia.
I've also looked into ebay USA and they are much more expensive!

Not suspicious, just an older model.

They ship to Australia.

Send a message regarding "postage/shipping". Don't purchase until they give you the shipping cost.

Don't try Ebay USA. Horrible exchange rate. That's why I suggested UK.

I tried to buy the one @zeggie said, and then they allow me to ask if they ship to australia
but it is "unpaid"... let's see if i'm lucky, it is around 42$aud + shipping

I have two of the $42 Digistem from IBrew, one for brewing and one for winery work. Neither has missed a beat in over a year. I've double checked the calibration and both are within stated limit (+/- 0.1 oC)

Last edited:
I have two of the $42 Digistem from IBrew, one for brewing and one for winery work. Neither has missed a beat in over a year. I've double checked the calibration and both are within stated limit (+/- 0.1 oC)
I just sent the request to those guys, it would be more or less the same price as the one you told me, if I cant get it, i'll look at yours!

Thank you all. I'll keep you updated!

P.S. Lyrebird Cycles? Cool logo!

i been using testoaus.com.au
they are really good thermometers been using them in the FMCG industry and they are around $50 for a SS one

Last edited:
I got the thermapen! 62$aud shipment included!
Jejeje I should change the title of the post after all..
I'll tell you how it works when it arrives

i been using testoaus.com.au
they are really good thermometers been using them in the FMCG industry and they are around $50 for a SS one
Sorry, I never said thank you to you. They look very good, but I've already bought the other one. If I have a problem with this, I'll look into yours.
Thank you!

Sorry, I never said thank you to you. They look very good, but I've already bought the other one. If I have a problem with this, I'll look into yours.
Thank you!

no worries..

I know a few dairy manufacturers they only using testo because they are great value for money

Cheers
Stefan

wow! great price!
And the otherone seems really good for less than half. they say:
"During testing we were able to cross check with a calibrated thermapen and found 100% within 0.1 °C at mash temperatures between 45 & 76 °C."

This one is very suspicious... only 24pounds! I tried to contact the seller but ebay says: "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high number of emails this seller receives, they aren't able to respond to your specific question right now. "

I bought one from the same seller a year and half ago, it’s the manufacture of the thermopen I’m pretty sure. The ones they sell on eBay cheap are discontinued colours. Like someone else said I’d pm them about shipping to Australia. I think I remember a couple of months ago they stopped shipping to Australia, and you can’t find them in the au eBay.

Edit: should have read the whole topic to the end, glad you got one they are awesome!

Javelin Pro by Lava Tools is as good as Thermapen & is about $80.

Sometimes you can luck in. I've got several Aldi kitchen digital thermometers and when I spot checked at 10C, 50C and 90C the largest error I saw was 0.2C. I suppose the only downside is that they don't beep when you get a stable reading, but if you wait 10s before taking the reading it's fine. At around $10, they made sense. Backlight on the display is handy, as is the HOLD button and the F/C switch button.

How did you purchase wont let me as no postage price and cannot email them
When you purchase the ítem It allowes you to ask .
I clicked on buy and sent them a message: do you ship to australia?
Next day I had a message with the shipment cost, 10pounds, and the total, 34pounds, I paid and yesterday I received an email saying my order has been shipped!
I'll tell you when it arrives !
Good luck

Latest posts

Back