Looking At Going To Octoberfest This Year

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well iv recently became a single fella and think it might be a good time for me to head over for octoberfest.

I was after your advise on places to stay things to do etc.

Cheers guys.

Try and book accom. now but in Munich it's bloody expensive.

tdh

save your money! its a waste of time I think...

I would never go again, unless I was nearby and it was convenient - I wouldn't fly for 24 hrs one way to get pissed in a foreign country, and then fly for 24 hrs back...$5000 later I would be thinking to myself 'why didn't I buy a beerbelly turn key brewery?'

There are much better beer festivals in germany. If you are really wanting to go over to germany for a beer festival ask zwikel which ones are the best...

Cheers
Phil

$5000 later I would be thinking to myself 'why didn't I buy a beerbelly turn key brewery?'

Cheers
Phil

Do it, and be the envy of everyone on this board!!!

:icon_cheers: SJ

If your looking to get away ASAP, the Bergkirchweih in Erlangen is coming up (late may). Close to Bamberg, Forsheim, etc. which are fantastic beer towns. I love the Franconia region of Bavaria.

But you would obviously want to combine a trip with other parts of Germany, Belgium, etc.

I found the Okfest to be excellent. Beer, food, leather clad birds, music and atmosphere all great.
Find a bed in Ingolstadt,Augsburg or Braunau am Inn, catch the first train in and the last train out, sorted.
Okfest is free admission, you could go as many times as you like.

tdh

I found the Okfest to be excellent. Beer, food, leather clad birds, music and atmosphere all great.
Find a bed in Ingolstadt,Augsburg or Braunau am Inn, catch the first train in and the last train out, sorted.
Okfest is free admission, you could go as many times as you like.

tdh

OH now I get it...

save your money! its a waste of time I think...

I would never go again, unless I was nearby and it was convenient - I wouldn't fly for 24 hrs one way to get pissed in a foreign country, and then fly for 24 hrs back...$5000 later I would be thinking to myself 'why didn't I buy a beerbelly turn key brewery?'

There are much better beer festivals in germany. If you are really wanting to go over to germany for a beer festival ask zwikel which ones are the best...

Cheers
Phil

I agree in general with that. I would certainly not go all that way just for Oktoberfest (unless I had a gazillion dollars). But it would make quite a start to a longer European trip, and it's a pretty good time to travel as there aren't so many tourists (Oktoberfest frenzy notwithstanding).

But there are better, less touristy festivals. In fact just after Oktoberfest there's a great little local festival in a place called Hellring, about an hour's drive north of Munich. It's just near Kelheim, home of Schneider Weisse, so that alone is worth the trip. Anyway, the food and beer are superb, the locals very friendly, and you don't have to pick your way over shit-faced Aussies/Kiwis/SAFs etc with every step.

It is an experience that has to be had.
Like other responses, mix it in with other activities though to maximize the trip (ie. Belgium) :p
I spent a few months in Europe and traveled through Western Europe and had a blast. Finished up at Oktoberfest before coming home.

Do it while you can. You'll regret it later.

Doc

i've been to oktoberfest and loved it though iwas touring europe at the time the atmosphere is amazing especially if u love pubs (i'm more of a clubber though im still only 20 haha) i had a blast depending on ur budget i stayed at "the tent" the cheapest place in town with 200 hundred people in one tent quite an experience in its self met heaps of people...
if u do go u have to go to hacker psychor best beer and atmosphere, i think everyone one has to go to oktoberfest once in there lifetime

I went last year after traveling Europe for 4 months and it was great,

I went for 4 days with around 100 Aussies/Kiwis that I had been traveling around Europe with, we started at the Monastery Brewery Opening which is the day before Oktoberfest starts then Opening day and two more looking around. I love beer and all things beer but honestly by the 4th day I was ready to leave. There is so much to see nearby, loads of breweries so make a holiday of it. I would probably not fly over just for Oktoberfest and def not the first week as its known to be the kiwi/aussie week which is quite embarrassing. I cant remember which week was the locals but I hear its the time to go.

So get as much time off as you can and do it properly.

Cheers

accomadation book now i look and it was a rip off and hard to get I am goign to stutgart to the cannstatt beer festival on oct 2 and 3 cheaper acoom some thing as the oky but less drunken kiwi,yanks and aussies but in munich yoy be looking now around $ 300 a night min.....the ock fest has around 7 million people in 2 weeks while in stuttgart has 4 million in 2 weeks so it be just as big the 2nd biggest beer fest so if u go to stuttgart as well i may meet you there or in muncih illbe there on the 4 /10 to 6/10 ..

the stuttgart site http://www.stuttgart-tourist.de/ENG/leisure/volksfest.htm

Hey guys.

Well iv recently became a single fella and think it might be a good time for me to head over for octoberfest.

I was after your advise on places to stay things to do etc.

Cheers guys.

Do it. It was part of a greater European holiday that I'll never forget. I travelled a lot using courchsurfing.com - check it out.

I attended oktoberfest 2 years in a row for the opening weekend. Stayed in a tent supplied by holiday group Topdeck that do all sorts of holidays throughout europe. Excellent fun.

As others have noted, you have to experience it. I would also follow others advice and try to squeeze some day trips into your schedule. Eg, Aying only takes half an hour to get to (Mmm... Ayinger Dopple Bock) and Bamberg would chew up the best part of a day if you are based in Munich (Mmm... Aecht Schlenkerla and Mahr's).

Regarding Munich, send a PM to Kommandant as he lives there. He might be able to provide some advice that you won't get from searching the web.

I'll be there this year. So I guess my uneducated advice is do it.

It is part of an extended European holiday though, so I'd go along with the rest of the posts here and say fit some other stuff in as well.

We haven't booked accommodation yet. We'll be camping all over Europe and will probably try and do the same in Munich as well. I've heard that it's not too hard to find a German family take you in and camp in their yard for not much. Might be an experience. And then if it all goes pear shaped, I can be the next person telling others to "book accommodation now!"

Good luck, I'll be the guy in the Lunch Meet shirt.

Back