London Pubs (and Paris suggestions?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anthonyUK said:
For decor you could do far worse than The Counting House in the City.
Just round the corner from where I'm staying...it's on the list.

Great stuff Ken. Have a good trip mate. Just to echo what other posters have said about Paris, there are lots of cool bars but hey the Frenchys are stylish people. Expect 7 euros for a small beer but u can buy some lovely ales from mini supermarkets (like chimay) for about 1 euro each. This thread has bought back so many great memories of my time in Europe. Thanks. Have a great trip. Cheers and beers. Griffo. If u find a good pub, just stay there and go with it as the sunny weekends in London fills the boozers (pubs) up!

Drop us a PM if you want to meet up for a pint on Thurs. ;)
I'll be free from half three.

I have been to London many times and visited many different Pubs but the Crown and Sugar Loaf, 26 Bride Lane (just of Fleet street) is a little gem. Its not open on weekends thou. They have a great range of organic beers that taste great and arn't that expensive. The other place that you should take a look at is the Porter House in Covent Garden.

O'Henry said:
K_K, how was the trip? Any gems to report?
The trip was great, I've been home a week and a half and have almost recovered.

Caught up with AnthonyUK for a whirlwind pub crawl: top bloke.

Full report and pics to follow when work and family demands permit, probably on Saturday Wilkensone.

O'Henry said:
K_K, how was the trip? Any gems to report?
Ok here goes...

The trip was great, although as I said in the OP it was a whirlwind since work was footing the bill and time is money (so they say). I started a long and possibly definitely self-indulgent post, but then got drunk and tired (wife and kids are away, so I brewed this morning and have done some drinking this afternoon) so here's the precis:

Arrived Heathrow 5am Sunday the 8th.

Started wandering around London about 10:30am...the weather was terrific.

IMAG0253.jpg

The Cockpit (sounds a bit like a gay bar...not that there's anything wrong with that): closed.
The Duke and Duchess (near the Cockpit): closed.
The Blackfriar (Lagerbomb's warning rang true, but I wanted to see the Art Nouveau interior): the door opened but I got a filthy look from the barmaid..."not open 'till midday". In her defence it was 11am on a Sunday morning. In my defence my body thought it was 9:30pm and all this walking was making me thirsty!
The Gunmakers (O'Henry's number one recommendation): closed.
The Clerk and Well: closed.
Craft Beer Co Clerkenwell (multiple recommendations): door closed, but after seeing me shoving it hipster sticks his head out and says '5 more minutes, yeah?' So I loiter for 5 minutes and huzzah, my first beer at 12:01.

SAM_0926.JPG
SAM_0927.JPG

Depart after four delicious and varied pints (in hindsight I shouldn't have).

The Sir John Oldcastle: not sure why I stopped here. Family bistro atmosphere.

The Hoop and Grapes: looked in the door on the way past, thought I saw a Boddingtons tap. Turns out it was some cider, but I was inside by then so felt compelled to have a pint (Spitfire I think).

The Blackfriar : as mentioned was fascinated by the building itself (I'm a structural engineer) and was keen to see the Art Nouveau interior. Staff weren't friendly. On the plus side had my first pint of London Pride. Was suffering significant palate fatigue.

SAM_0923.JPG
SAM_0937.JPG

to be continued...

....went to Paris, returned in the afternoon of Thursday the 12th. Met anthonyUK at St Pauls for a quick pub crawl.

Lord Raglan: the saison Anthony recommended was gone. Had something else, don't remember what it was, some ale, it was nice though.

SAM_1094.JPG

Ye Olde Watling: had something, it was also nice. Great afternoon for outside pints, and this is a historically significant pub according to tourguide Anthony.

SAM_1095.JPG

The Rake: had a couple of quick pints, and a homebrew anthonyUK smuggled in...did I mention he's a top bloke? Doesn't look special at all (the Rake, not anthonyUK), but has a massive range. We sat in the beer 'garden' and got sprayed over the fence by something from the markets next door. I keep telling myself they were cleaning and not just flicking fluids over the fence.

SAM_1096.JPG
SAM_1097.JPG

The Hole in the Wall: next to Waterloo Station, time for one last quick pint before Anthony had to catch his train...no idea what we had...I was again suffering from palate fatigue.

SAM_1098.JPG

tbc....

I should mention my digs for the Thursday night, The Wellington Hotel. Right next to Waterloo Station and my biggest mistake of the trip. The tube runs through the pub (and I can confirm the trains start running at 5am). It was also hotter than Hades. My room was the second from the right on the top floor in the first photo. It must have been in the sun all day, and there was no aircon or openable windows. The fan that they kindly provided was very efficient at moving the 55C air around the room. No a/c?!?! Didn't even think to ask.

SAM_1099.JPG
SAM_1103.JPG

I moved to a different (better) hotel for the next night as my best man, who now lives in Galway and who I hadn't seen for ten years, flew over for the night and there was no way we'd both survive the inferno that was room 502 of The Wellington.

Friday night we started at the Crutched Friar, right next to where we were staying and surely a joke name. Nice pub though, and another great evening for outside beers.

IMAG0260.jpg

Then to the Cheshire Cheese approx 30m down the road, also nice, saw the Netherlands give the Spaniards a kicking there. Had a feed and stayed until closing.

IMAG0261.jpg

Then the only place we could find open was The Bavarian Beerhouse, also right around the corner. Complete with barmaids in dirndls (good), but the place was brilliantly illuminated (not so good). Watched the Aussies play Chile there and drank at multiple free beers (for some reason).

Saturday I caught up with long lost rellies and then headed home...one last London Pride before departing (a few actually).

IMAG0272.jpg

And after all that imagine if I had gone with the longer self-indulgent version. :blink:

The upshot of it all is that I love pubs and I love cask ales. As recommended by others I wanted to try as many as I could, and I really enjoyed them all. Some more than others naturally , but they were the type of beer that I don't drink here, and can't really brew to the same effect (I bottle only). Craft Beer Co and The Rake probably had the best variety.

It's hard to nominate a best beer or a gem, as I got drunk and kept forgetting. One beer I really did enjoy was Nice Weather 4 Ducks by the Dancing Duck brewery. I also rapidly acquired a taste for Fuller's London Pride.
Can't wait to go back.

Thanks again to all those who contributed to the thread!

Cheers.

Good work K_K. Nice write up. Brings back good memories of our trip last year. I would have been happy to read the self indulgent one.
Shame the Cockpit wasnt open, it is a typical old school Pub, and a great introduction to UK pubs. But it seems you saw plenty of pubs anyway. I had a notebook when we went and jotted down the pubs we went to and the beer we drank. Because Mrs LB is a beer drinker as well, we often ordered different beers which we shared. 44 different beers in 11 days. Stopped counting ofter that.
Pleased you had a great trip.
Cheers
LB

After realising how easy it is to get around London and the pubs I could have visited (but honestly couldn't as I was with the family)these pics and words make me want to go back right now!... Jealous .
You lucky bugger.
Cheers....spog...

Bribie G sobs uncontrollably.

Gunna make an ESB today, just smacked a pack so there :super:

Bribie G said:
Bribie G sobs uncontrollably.

Gunna make an ESB today, just smacked a pack so there :super:
I share your sorrow Bribie,tell you what,if start walking now by the time I get to yours it'll be ready to drink and we both can drown our sorrows .
Cheers...spog...

spog said:
After realising how easy it is to get around London and the pubs I could have visited (but honestly couldn't as I was with the family)these pics and words make me want to go back right now!... Jealous .
You lucky bugger.
Cheers....spog...
I agree. It was a lot easier to get around than I anticipated. Going back next year, but trying to incorporate Germany and Czech Rep as well.

It was a real pleasure to meet up Ken and I'm glad you enjoyed the whirlwind tour ;)

Anthony

Sounds like you had a great trip Ken and a ripping pub crawl with Anthony. Thanks for the report, makes me yearn for those long sunny (well occasionaly!) London summer days.

Great report.

I will be going to London in 10 days time. Will have the family with me but plan to make a few stops at the pubs mentioned.

Bookmarking this thread for reference

Back