Best Beers / Pubs In The Uk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked in the Hatton Gd./Clerkenwell area of London you mention through the 1970`s and saw the benefit of CAMRA. Around 1975 we probably had about 5-6 pubs suitable for lunch time use [i.e. to able to walk to and drink at least 3 pints in an hour]. By the time I left in 1980 I can think of at least 20. Still visit the area now and it looks like the choice is even better. Still the most successful UK consumer group ever.

ok i'm not from enguurrrland but i was there last year and visited a couple of top pubs. neither of which are near you but if you happen to be in london town as some of the others have tipped good pubs there you should also visit the market porter. it's near london bridge. they had something like 16 ales served from hand pump when i was there. it was super. then if you take a trip to the seaside, brighton, the evening star brewpub is amazing. not only do they serve their own tasty ales but they also stock a great bottle selection and a few other great breweries on tap too. even had some american micro on tap (stone ipa if i remember correctly)

and while i'm giving you tips on bars not so close to you........ if you ever make a trip across the drink to doooooooblin check out the porterhouse in templebar...... mmmmmmmmmm now i'm making myself homesick. think i'll go brew

slainte

christmasbender

Thanks all! Some great advice that I will take into my stride. Had little understanding of CAMRA and what they did, but I will look into them a bit more. Probably not going to become a member or anything, but it might be advantageous to have a chat to someone about what they do. I was able to try Butty Bach the other day and it was quite good. Greene King does seem to dominate the area, but the guest ales seem to vary quite a bit.

I must confess to going into the local Wetherspoons more often than I should, it is so cheap, and the guest ales change about once a week. I have never had any problems with quality in there, but it does tend to have a dozen people in there drinking before 10am.

I have had a few different BRAINS pints too, and quite enjoy them, its almost a case of being spoilt for choice though. When you drink so much new, good beer its hard to remember which is which.

Anyway thanks for the input, I will do my best to convince the locals that Aussies dont drink Fosters. However that is just about all we can be proud of on a popular beer front, still trying to convince my boss to import some Coopers..

Cheers,

Jeremy

Only problem I have with Wetherspoons is you can sometimes take ages to get served. Apart from that good beers at a good price.

I tned to think The Jerusalem is over-rated. Sure its a St Peters place, but the beer is ordinary at best and rarely in good condition. I should give it a rap as Im mates with Dave the manager, but it trades on unqualified reputation.
The Dovetail is good, but expensive. While you are in this area, you should see Scottles at The Mitre on Erye Pl. The fat bearded type propping up the bar after hours is my old boss Andrew. Say hi for me!

I will admit when I last went to the Jerusalem I was not happy with my brew.

Latest posts

Back