Little Creatures IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kevo said:
Why can't an IPA be approachable?
Yes it should be approachable in the sense that its tasty and "easy" to drink because its very flavoursome and well brewed. Good IPA's arent harsh. But it shouldn't be approachable in the sense that its not hoppy. Otherwise your not drinking an IPA.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tgg5H_dc-1A[/media]

hmmmm

Haven't tried it yet, waiting for a local bottlo to stock it (can't get out to try on tap with bub #2 only a week away...)

From craftypint: http://craftypint.com/beer/brewery/little-creatures-wa/#little-creatures-ipa

After leaving its British Racing Green bottle, the beer might look similar in your glass to what we can now call its little brother, albeit marginally deeper in colour, but you don’t have to get too close to realise it’s definitely bigger. Hops from the UK (East Kent Goldings), Australia (Victoria’s Secret), New Zealand (Southern Cross) and the US (Amarillo) create a welcoming blast of tropical and citrus aromas, with a touch of spice and sweet caramel malt in there too. There’s plenty to get your teeth into – all in the well balanced Little Creatures manner, of course – with enough bite to provide avowed hopheads with an IPA they can happily sit on but not so much that those venturing into IPAs for the first time are frightened away.

Style: IPA
Strength: 6.4%
Bitterness: 60 IBU

Archive had 7 stubbies left on the shelf so I grabbed 4. I like the hop combo, nice and dank. Lacks bitterness but that's probably because my palate is wrecked and can't taste anything under 80ibu. Nice beer.

When will these be on the local bottle shop shelves?

Some are saying late September, others say they already have bottles of them.

I'm confused.

Not available from Dan's yet don't show up on the website.

Had it last night in Freo - reports are right. Bit light on hops. I would call the hop combo grassy (probably due to the Aussie varieties). Not as good as the recent "a very hoppy ale", and this is probably why I feel let down. If I were them I would drop the alcohol back to about 5.5%. Not a big enough beer flavour wise to justify the 6.3% abv. Also $12 a pint at the brewery is a bit rich. Saying all this, in an objective sense it is a pleasant enough beer and people will drink it. But after I had one, I had the LC pils and preferred that.

Tropical_Brews said:
Not available from Dan's yet don't show up on the website.
That doesn't mean much, there website is OK but has dramas...best to visit in person and ask

have shipped to east coast this week, should be on shelves next week sometime was the response I got from LC.

tricache said:
That doesn't mean much, there website is OK but has dramas...best to visit in person and ask
Pays to be selective who you ask at Dan's, I have found

foles said:
Had it last night in Freo - reports are right. Bit light on hops. I would call the hop combo grassy (probably due to the Aussie varieties). Not as good as the recent "a very hoppy ale", and this is probably why I feel let down. If I were them I would drop the alcohol back to about 5.5%. Not a big enough beer flavour wise to justify the 6.3% abv. Also $12 a pint at the brewery is a bit rich. Saying all this, in an objective sense it is a pleasant enough beer and people will drink it. But after I had one, I had the LC pils and preferred that.
Was it approachable? ;)

foles said:
IMO the pilsner, fresh, is their best beer.

Have not tried the IPA though and can't wait.

Someone wake me up when the pint bottles are released. I'm keen to try, but the stubbies are too small. Buckleys chance of seeing it on tap this far from the brewery.

Hi guys,

New to the forum...

Went and enjoyed a couple IPAs in Freo today. Very tasy... Malty/sweet with good hop aroma and flavour. Yes its not up there with bitterness but I enjoyed it. More a session beer as previously stated.

First thought after the pint was how I could clone this. A mate took this photo while we were down there...

gallery_20161_1072_157726.jpeg

Keen to get a recipe up asap and wanted to know peoples thoughts on where these ingredients should sit.

Sam

I had a fresh bottle last week, I agree with it being a bit too sweet. If it were drier, I could pound it, but as it stands, I found it a bit like a hop toffee drink.

Keep in mind it is still early days, so the recipe will probably be fine tuned for a while still.

I just don't really understand why breweries make these "approachable" IPA's, especially breweries like Little Creatures who don't make a "real" IPA. What exactly do they hope will happen? People will become accustomed to IPA's and then start buying them from other breweries?

They don't even taste like IPA's. It's like training to drive a stunt car for the next "Fast & Furious" sequel by carefully driving at 40km/h down an empty highway.

Latest posts

Back