Little Creatures IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmi9191

Reaction score
Little creatures have announced they are releasing an IPA as part of their regular line up. Any one got an inside word on it? Wondering if it will be a repeat of their single batch IPA??

I'm cautiously optimistic.

They released a single batch IPA back in 2010 or something, 55 IBU, 5.6%. Not really the sort of "oomph" I would have hoped for, but realistically I don't expect anything too explosive.

Sales rep told me it was an English style IPA which will be similarish to the red shepherd single batch (obviously not red though). He may have just told me this because I was raving about red shepherd.

Damn. I tried the Shepherd IPA and I thought it was ludicrously sweet, I almost couldn't drink it, was like golden syrup. It was a fairly old bottle though so it's possible the hop goodness had already disappeared.

I hope that in typical LC style they don't just throw a butt load of hops at for the sake of Craft Beer.
Interested to see if they can restrain themselves enough to produce something half balanced. Might help that its going to be a regular instead of a single batch.

slash22000 said:
Damn. I tried the Shepherd IPA and I thought it was ludicrously sweet, I almost couldn't drink it, was like golden syrup. It was a fairly old bottle though so it's possible the hop goodness had already disappeared.
Old bottles had definitely lost most of their goodness.

please more good local IPAs...

Yeah I thought the red sheperd was average

Had the red sheppard 2 weeks ago in tassie and loved it! Wouldnt mind cloning it or it becoming a regular.

I loved it but please know that this guy didn't seem to know a great deal about the beers. He just sold the stuff. I'd not be surprised it this turned out filled with American hops

It'd be great to have another Aussie IPA available, but I'd still need to travel the same distance I do currently to get Hop Hog, so it'd need to be a cracker of a beer.

yum beer said:
I hope that in typical LC style they don't just throw a butt load of hops at for the sake of Craft Beer.
Interested to see if they can restrain themselves enough to produce something half balanced. Might help that its going to be a regular instead of a single batch.
Most of the single batches are notoriously unbalanced. I think it comes from a blase approach to recipe development, because obviously the technical brewing and QC is first class there. They seem to indicate in their videos that their just crazy home brewers just throwing in whatever they feel like on the day. Hence a far too dry and unsmoked - smoked bock, grassy ipas, non belgian non hoppy - belgian ipas, and the list goes on. Some have turned out pretty good (latest rye porter), but others not so much.

So in saying all this - a regular IPA will probably be well developed / pilot brewed etc.

Clutch said:
It'd be great to have another Aussie IPA available, but I'd still need to travel the same distance I do currently to get Hop Hog, so it'd need to be a cracker of a beer.
Not sure where you live man but Hop Hogs now available at Dans and BWS.

foles said:
Most of the single batches are notoriously unbalanced. I think it comes from a blase approach to recipe development, because obviously the technical brewing and QC is first class there. They seem to indicate in their videos that their just crazy home brewers just throwing in whatever they feel like on the day. Hence a far too dry and unsmoked - smoked bock, grassy ipas, non belgian non hoppy - belgian ipas, and the list goes on. Some have turned out pretty good (latest rye porter), but others not so much.

So in saying all this - a regular IPA will probably be well developed / pilot brewed etc.
From what I understand, their single batches come from internal home brew competitions for staff hosted at the brewery by brewery staff. I suspect a bit more effort would go into a permanent fixture.

I am looking forward to this. I had a taste of a pint of the pale yesterday and it was really true to type compared to some more recent batches. I can't wait for another fresh IPA around the traps.

Latest posts

Back