Liquid yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slats69

Reaction score
I'm trying my 1st liquid yeast, which is a white lab American hefeweizen. The guy at the shop said add it when the temperature is @ 21 deg. But on the bottle it says add above 21 deg. What should I go with ?

Hey Slats,

First of all, welcome to AHB.

Are you making a starter or just dumping the vial in the fermenter? What is the date on the yeast?

Hey mate,

One of my brew mates just used WPL 380 instead of is usual WPL 300 and got more banana flavor despite the yeast strain claiming less banana.

I can't recall the temp but it goes to show that sometime the advertised isin;t quite what you get. He was wrapped loves the extra banana but it was un expected.

The link form white labs has a few really good descriptions of what temp produced what flavors.

The home brew lad recommended a temp that "he" thinks you will like. He's probably right but you need to think or just take a punt on what flavor profiles you would like your yeast to give.

Once you nail that down... or just think that sounds good go with that temp that reflects that possible flavor profile.

Have a read of the below link and see if you like any particular flavor profiles and go with that. There's only a few but a good idea. Remember the trial and error It's part of the fun.

Record it for next time and adjust the temp and see what you personally get.

This is of course void of changing you grain, grain mill, mash temp ect which will have an effect of the whole all deal. Ahh the complexity of beer :D

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp320-american-hefeweizen-ale-yeast

Good luck mate.

Whitelabs suggest 65-69F as optimum for WLP320.
18-21C is a fair range,
You should pitch at about 21 or a tad over for the initial phases, once fermentation starts you can, if you feel so inclined drop the temp to 19C or so.

K

Yeast loves to ferment at 30 degrees or over, but we don't want it to do that. However we can pitch at a slightly higher temp (edit, slightly higher than the fermentation temp) and give the yeasties a promise of paradise, and they breed up nicely. Then we spoil their party and drop the temperature to where we want it to be as suggested by the good Dr.

On subsequent brews, if you save a good amount of the yeast from the first fermentation in a sterilised container and pitch that, then it's best to pitch it at the fermentation temp.

Yeast works above 40*...ask a baker..

And the waste product, alc is our equiv of urine.

Like urine, alc is poisonous to yeast at high levels.

The best yeasts are harvested from low alc beers.

Thanks for the advice. I'll run with an initial higher temp & then drop it to 18 deg

Latest posts

Back