liquid yeast favorites

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which do you prefer

• WLP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Have you tried putting the vials in the fridge before opening. Should lessen the fizz

Have tried both room temp and fridge temp, still get gushers. Mostly opened at room (pitching) temp to reduce temp stress

Spiesy said:
You're dropping nutrients into the yeast with the smack pack in order to get them ready for fermentation.

With a starter, you're introducing the yeast to wort, in order to grow the yeast population.

From Wyeast's website:
The cell count does not increase significantly when the package is activated.. The smack-pack is not designed to dramatically increase the cell count, it simply “activates” the yeast metabolism.

EDIT: added link.

My original post was specifically referring to old wyeast packs suggesting low viability. A fresh pack with high viability the nutrient pack will do very little for growing yeast numbers. When there is low viability the ratio of yeast to wort/nutrients is at a level that there will be a more significant multiplication happening.

It's the same thing with making yeast starters. If you have a high yeast to wort ratio there isn't going to be much multiplication of the yeast and the yeast will mostly take up some nutrients and ferment what is there. As your wort levels increase, or your yeast levels decreased (ie low viability) the ratio swings to where you get more multiplication happening.

Wyeast knows yeast but they didn't want to overcomplicate things with conditions that can't really be quantified. Also they view their market as being america mostly where brew shops don't mind getting deliveries very regularly instead of big shipments every 1-3 months with some packs carrying over longer we would like.

Not sure of the numbers but:

The cider one
The Belgian Wit one
The Berliner Weisse one

Interesting that Wyeast is a lot more popular in your part of the world, is it more to do with availability. Here in the UK we can get both, quite often from the same supplier, and Whitelabs seems by far the more popular.

It is completely availability based. Not many stores stock white labs here. As such people recommend what they know, which is wyeast. Which means (potentially) that lbhs are more likely to stock wyeast etc.

Yob, if this is market research for a foray into liquid yeast, I reckon go white labs.

It is completely availability based. Not many stores stock white labs here. As such people recommend what they know, which is wyeast. Which means (potentially) that lbhs are more likely to stock wyeast etc.

Yob, if this is market research for a foray into liquid yeast, I reckon go white labs.

What is your reason for that suggestion? Is it simply due to the fact that many already carry wyeast?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yep! Get some variety in the market, and allows access to a range that wyeast doesn't have. Not an especially considered or researched opinion :)

lael said:
Yep! Get some variety in the market, and allows access to a range that wyeast doesn't have. Not an especially considered or researched opinion :)
White Labs have close to 100 different strains of yeast available... crazy!

Interesting that Wyeast is a lot more popular in your part of the world, is it more to do with availability. Here in the UK we can get both, quite often from the same supplier, and Whitelabs seems by far the more popular.

I stock both Whitelabs and Wyeast.
It seems to me that many brewers will buy the Wyeast as it is what they are used to and the whole smack pack swelling gives them a warm fuzzy feeling that the yeast is good to go no matter the date on the pack.
I am talking the majority of brewers here not the minority that are well researched and aware of pitch rates etc.
Whitelabs vials are slightly more expensive and the small margins on yeast mean it can soon become difficult if you import more than you can sell.
Another issue may be the dates on the package. Wyeast give manufacture date and say its good for 6 months whereas Whitelabs have a use by date on the package which is only 4 months after manufacture.
I use both when I brew. I have my favorites in both ranges. I generally use out of date stock and a starter. I'd use a starter anyway if the yeast was more than four weeks past manufacture but that's a personal choice. Beer will be made without one. Better beer with.
Much prefer WLP001, 002, 004, 005, 007, 300 and several others over Wyeast equivalents.
Wy1469 and 3711 being 2 of my favorite Wyeast strains.
Cheers
Nige

Latest posts

Back