liquid yeast favorites

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which do you prefer

• WLP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
W1728. Scottish.

Makes the best Red Ales when low hopping is used and plenty caramel/toffee flavoured malts. Gives a nice slightly tart finish sometimes. I also like it because it works down to 13*c and can handle beers over 10% alc.

2000 - well balanced and lets malt come through, tempted to try on darker beers instaed of 34/70
3333 - awesome flavour profile and insanely good performer
1275 - great flavour profile, very versatile but lots of character

EDIT: Oh it's a poll...

Um, Wyeast - because it's available. There are probably a heap of awesome products out there on the HB market, but if they aren't readily available and fresh, they aren't much use.

Wyeast for me. It's just what the LHBS supplies. Then again, it's the only liquid yeast i've used and i've never had any problems. And hey, if it aint broke...

WY 3463 Forbidden Fruit Beautiful phenolic profile. For me, works perfectly in a Belgian Dark Strong and a Grand Cru...

WY 9097-PC Old Ale Not currently available but try to keep a culture. Got an 11 month old pack recently and am currently stepping it up to replenish my stock. Works great in Old Ales with dark malts in the grist. It's a blend with brett. Planning an Old Ale with some biscuit malt to pair with the cherry phenols - Cherry Pie!

WY 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Speaks for itself

WL v WY
No preference for one over the other. WY and WL both produce excellent products

1187 Ringwood Ale for me.

Goes well in anything British, plus makes a good IPA. Behaves itself well, and flocs out nicely, without going to sleep too easily (yes, I'm looking at you 1968... )

Shouldn't market research be in the retail section?

I typically prefer European brands of grain, btw.

:ph34r:

Wyeast - purely because that's all I've ever purchased. Their smack packs are a good indicator of yeast vitality and easy to split.
I've probably only brewed with approximately ten varieties but so far my favourites would be 1272 and 1469 due to the fact I love APA's and English ales.

On the off chance this is market research, am a rillo looking forward to HDA'z announcements as I need to place another order. :ph34r:

Results may be slightly skewed as Wyeast is more readily available in Australia. White Labs certainly seems to be pretty big in the US.

Wyeast 1469. I have used it for 'Smurto's TTL and it was very good. Also used it in AIPA's with good results.

Wyeast 1217. I have been using this for PA's, AIPA's recently with good results.

I make small (14-16L) batches normally and don't make starters. I see what's fresh at Craftbrewer, buy it, brew a lower OG beer with it first then use saved slurry to make higher gravity beers. The slurries take off like a rocket. I gave the infamous NickJD some 1469 slurry and he reckoned he used it for 5 generations!

5 generations. You can go further than that if you look after it.

Does a dry yeast count once properly hydrated? Is that cheating?

Once its liquid it will allways be a liquid. And using cheaper dried yeast is a good way to learn.

Stu, are you inferring the cheapest wont produce good results? IMO Bry-97 out does us-05. , 1075 & 1272 for any USA ale and is the cheapest...

I hydrate it so this isn't a hijack - sorry yob..

timmi9191 said:
Stu, are you inferring the cheapest wont produce good results
No...not at all. The point I was making is that if you want to learn how to harvest and play with yeast, start with a cheap one untill you feel confident enough to start playing with more expensive ones.

Latest posts

Back