Liquid Yeast And Aussie Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how can they be repackaged fermentis when fermentis doesnt bring out a heap of the strains that Ross has...

I understand people love liquids, but as I said, if its the same strain, whats the difference? Liquid is better for higher gravity beers?

I think it is a case of if you are happy using dry US05 for American pales, then it is all good. But if you want more complex/subtle beer styles that hinge on the yeast, then the liquids + a little more attention is the go. It is really amazing when you smell what can come from a starter that is only LDM+yeast.

As I understand it, the yeast cops a fair bit during the dry packaging process, so it has to be a fairly resillient strain.

Its my understanding that the dried yeasts are similar to a particular liquid yeast but aren't the identical strain.

i could be wrong.....

It's a good question that I'd like to find out the answer to aswell. If they're a different strain, I can understand the difference, but what if they're not? What is better about a liquid yeast of the same strain as a dried yeast? Does it just save you the rehydrating hassle?

So how can they be repackaged fermentis when fermentis doesnt bring out a heap of the strains that Ross has...

I understand people love liquids, but as I said, if its the same strain, whats the difference? Liquid is better for higher gravity beers?

cant be certain , but im guessing the nottingham dried yeast is the danstar yeast , bought bulk and repacked , possibly some of the others are also danstar , question probably best asked of ross himself rather than have everyone speculating of the yeasts origin ..

It's a good question that I'd like to find out the answer to aswell. If they're a different strain, I can understand the difference, but what if they're not? What is better about a liquid yeast of the same strain as a dried yeast? Does it just save you the rehydrating hassle?

Just to clarify a few points....
1. Proper use of liquid yeasts takes more time than dried yeasts.
The blurb on the Wyeast pack might well say just to smack the pack, let it swell and pour it into your beer, but you REALLY need to be making decent sized starters with liquid yeasts, in order to attain the correct pitching-rate (number of living cells per volume of wort).
Dry yeasts are prepared for hybernation by feeding them up with all the nutrients etc. they'll need to ferment your beer. This is why dry yeasts can simply be pitched straight into your wort (with or without rehydrating them), without the need for a starter.

2. Dry yeasts are NOT the same as their liquid yeast equivalents
The drying process has a detrimental affect on the yeast, and the yeast strains chosen for drying are very specific strains. This is why there are not as many dry strains as there are liquid - most do not cope well with the drying process. And Fermentis is a MUCH bigger company than Wyeast or Whitelabs.

The liquid yeasts might cost more, but proper yeast management, and multiple re-pitching of a single strain will reduce this cost to a few $ per brew.

It really comes down to a convenience VS variety decision; one which there are as many opinons on as there are strains of yeast.

So what I would like is some suggestions, firstly on say, 3 good liquid yeasts to have on board, I mainly do dark beers and hoppy Pale Ales, and the odd english beer, and am probably looking for something to give my beers a bit more character... What would you guys suggest? Is there 3 liquid yeasts any of you use religously?

Also, hop wise, basically, can pretty much get bugger all here in NZ at the mo (blasted hop shortage :angry: ) so im thinking Chinook cos ive never tried them, and also Galaxy (which sounds like it would be tops in an APA along with some Amarillo).. Anyone got any other good ideas on some great aussie hops? (not pride of ringwood :p )

Cheers guys

Hey Reviled,
To get back to your original question,
These are the 3 strains I keep religiously.
1. Wyeast 1272 - All American Ale. I used to keep 1056 - American Ale, just discovered this one- I like it B) Use this for APA with Chinnok & Cascade, or Amarillo & Willamette.
2. Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale - Use this in your dark beers with whatever hops youre currently using.
3. Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan - Use for whear beers. Good for mucking around with hops too - I have used Saaz, Hersbrucker & Willamette with this one. Might not like the sound of wheat beer - its my least brewed, but makes for a great summer change up.

As for why are liquids better?
Firstly they're not dehydrated. IMO dried yeasts lack a little 'spark' when compared to their supposed liquid equivelent.
Also, you can split on first generation by making a starter and create (in theory) endless supplies. (not really possible), but with a $10 pack I will get six brews (as personally I split first generation into six parts and use each of them only once) Others will go on and on. A new dried yeast is $4 anyway. You could do the starter with this and split I suppose...

Give liquid a go - you'll like it. I was sold when I did a side by side with [Liquid]Wyeast 1056 against [dry]US-56 which is now US-05
Similar, but liquid was better. Kinda like driving a 3 year old car, then trading up to this years model :p

Hey Reviled,
To get back to your original question,
These are the 3 strains I keep religiously.
1. Wyeast 1272 - All American Ale. I used to keep 1056 - American Ale, just discovered this one- I like it B) Use this for APA with Chinnok & Cascade, or Amarillo & Willamette.
2. Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale - Use this in your dark beers with whatever hops youre currently using.
3. Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan - Use for whear beers. Good for mucking around with hops too - I have used Saaz, Hersbrucker & Willamette with this one. Might not like the sound of wheat beer - its my least brewed, but makes for a great summer change up.

As for why are liquids better?
Firstly they're not dehydrated. IMO dried yeasts lack a little 'spark' when compared to their supposed liquid equivelent.
Also, you can split on first generation by making a starter and create (in theory) endless supplies. (not really possible), but with a $10 pack I will get six brews (as personally I split first generation into six parts and use each of them only once) Others will go on and on. A new dried yeast is $4 anyway. You could do the starter with this and split I suppose...

Give liquid a go - you'll like it. I was sold when I did a side by side with [Liquid]Wyeast 1056 against [dry]US-56 which is now US-05
Similar, but liquid was better. Kinda like driving a 3 year old car, then trading up to this years model :p

Hey cheers mate, i like everything you said apart from the wheat beer yeast :p I dont really like em that much, but I have some recultured Wheat yeast that I would use if I ever made another one (which probably wont be a while) haha

Back