Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears the unthreaded ones aren't on there at the moment. I found them the other day and placed an order for a box of ten, so they do sell them. I don't know about the Liss ones, haven't seen them mentioned on this thread as yet.

Liss, Mosa. They are the same thing from different companies.

Just go to your local hospitality store and make some mods to use the standard 8g bulbs.

Why bother dealing with Ezychargers? Duck Fat!

Might be a silly question, but did you reassemble the unit as shown in your picture? You have to put the black cap on first before putting back the screws.
That's quite funny!

At first I thought it was a silly question. Then I realised that the plastic plates don't just sit there like that normally without screws to hold the springs down.

That is one seriously F'ed TK bottle head unit.

Hi, I'm only new to home brewing but have just bottled 'some tap king bottles.

I fitted them out with new c02 cartridges, hopefully it works.

Greg

Another piece of advise,

Make sure the syphon tube is pointed downwards when you put it all back together. Mine is at the top of the keg which obviously doesnt work to well.

Not a massive drama, just need to prop the keg up a bit but still would be better if it was down the bottom

There has been mention of LISS carts and so I took a bit of a look.

The attached shows the 12g (use third column) in four different guises. I didn't email the Co yet but I think I might......

Sod it, just emailed them anyway. Also, if you take a look at the chart there are weights and other measurements that may tell us which ones Ezychargers is selling......

Edit: Email and stuff

LISS table_us (1).jpg

The Mosa ones I ordered from there arrived last week, compared the shape of the neck to the original one from the TK and they are pretty much exactly the same. Unfortunately they didn't arrive in time for me to bottle my latest brew into the TK bottle but will be putting some of the current batch fermenting in there. :)

Thanks to everyone for the info on how to reuse the Tap King. Has anyone had any success with the Liss cartridges yet? Ezychargers still seem to be out of the unthreaded Mosa ones.

Plenty of experience here using the 8g cartridges. Poured one on the weekend and plenty of gas also cheaper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, has anyone used the 12g Liss cartridges from ezycharges yet? I'm assuming they are the same size as the ones that come with the tapking, but was hoping to get a confirmation before ordering a couple boxes from ezychargers.

barls said:
Plenty of experience here using the 8g cartridges. Poured one on the weekend and plenty of gas also cheaper

Sorry if this has been covered already, but how are you mounting the 8g cartridges in the TK head?

In the thread entitled. 8g cartridges in the tap king. Sorry can't post a link as can't figure out how to do it in tap talk

Cool knew it was somewhere just hadn't used it

Hi guys,

I just took Beerisyummy's starting point and decided to record the pressure by adjusting the regulator.

I have butchered my head a fair bit, so hacking it up further was no issue. I basically cut off the retaining latch, leaving the adjuster cap free to rotate. This should probably be hot-glued in place if you wish to set up a head for lagers/pale ales and one for English beers.

So, we have the following:

+0.25 turn - 100kPag
0 turn - 78kPag
-0.25 turn - 60kPag
-0.5 turn - ~45kPag
-1 turn - 20kPag

At 3°C serving temp, we have the following:
+0.25 turn - 100kPag --> 2.8volCO2
0 turn - 78kPag --> 2.5
-0.25 turn - 60kPag --> 2.3
-0.5 turn - ~45kPag - 2.1vol
-1 turn - 20kPag --> 1.7vol CO2

Two things I'm going to next find out: if it's comfortable in the 3-3.5vol range for wheats, etc; and if further restriction needs to be put in the little hose bit on the tap (e.g. 3mm tube) to slow it down at higher carbonation. Even at the existing carbonation it might help?

PS - not sure what the maximum pressure of these units would be. The regulator will obviously be ok, and pretty sure the bottles would be fine with a couple of hundred kPag, but not sure if there is a weak spot somewhere.

Enjoy...

To ask a really silly question... Which way is down? Clockwise? Or Counterclockwise?

I asked the same question. The answer was about three post after where you got the info from.
Below is what it was

Righty tighty, lefty loosy!

It's just like a normal regulator. Turn the knob clockwise while looking down on it, or facing it, or holding it your hand, or whatever. As it tightens down you'll hear the extra gas releasing into the bottle to bring the pressure up. Pretty sure you'll need to give the tap a quick blast to relieve any excess pressure if you go the other way.

Captain Morgan said:
Two little black o'rings in a row now. Thats a tad annoying! I'm having to try and re-carb the kegs and hope that infection etc doesnt take hold.

I've replaced the co2 but have yet to find replacement o rings. Admittedly, I havent looked yet tho
I've just finished my first refill and noticed something once I got the bottle out.

8922574e-b114-4618-ac15-922ed36d4b73.jpg

This is what a "good" one looks like, AFAIK... Yes it's dirty, No I haven't cleaned it yet!! :p

af7ea5cc-db66-4f40-809b-495e1d978c59.jpg

This is what's happened to one of the bottles prior to my reusing it. I'm hoping that I can just re-roll the o-ring up into the correct position......

6e279c01-d787-4e77-b163-fc7e059e8696.jpg

And this is what the one I've just finished looks like.

Any thoughts from the masses?

Chargers were Liss brand, no extra lube used, no loss of pressure whilst inserted (like that doesn't sound bad!!)

And what sort of lube should I be getting? (flame suit on and skin thickening in progress!! Dear Lord, even that sounds bad! :D )

MatttyC, it's likely that one is now stretched and will need replacing, or your gas will end up leaking out as soon as you pierce it. I've had similar issues with the O-rings, it seems a bit hit and miss as to whether or not you can reuse them without replacing the O-Rings. This seems to vary between units too from what I can see, as some people have reported issues with this, and others have had none.

Do yourself a favour, and mod it to run an external reg/gas cylinder/bulbs. They are real easy to pull apart and just as easy to put back together. It didnt take me long to get frustrated with this, and have since hooked up a sodastream cylinder and keg king reg. Im thinking this cylinder is prob going to last me a while too...ive done 5 or 6 bottles on it so far and the cylinder pressure gauge has not moved from its original position.

This is my TK unit, the external bottle makes life so much easier, especially when changing between differenty beer styles, you can dial in your pouring pressure to suit. It's also much easier to get replacement cylinders too, most woolies/coles/big w/Kmart that retail sodastream products will have them:

IMAG03771_zpscdf620bc.jpg

Latest posts

Back