Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had issues with it just dispensing foam after the first couple of beers? I'm using 12g Mosa with all original packaging - just replaced the co2.
Could be that my beer is not very clear and it's clogging the unit?

Has anyone had issues with it just dispensing foam after the first couple of beers? I'm using 12g Mosa with all original packaging - just replaced the co2.
Could be that my beer is not very clear and it's clogging the unit?
I would be looking at temperature and carbonation levels. It sounds like you over carbed the beer as that's pretty much what happens with a normal keg.

Like Barls said, you can adjust the reg to help reduce the foaming. Another trick would be to back the reg right back, turn the on it's head and degas the bottle using the tap. Once you've done that you should be able to give it a shake and get some of the CO2 out of solution.

Never had that problem with mine. In fact because the beer was lowly carbed it actually poured a rather creamy head, similar to what you get on a Guinness from the tap. Wasn't complaining about that! Being an English style ale the lower carb level suited it too. Though I would have preferred a bit more carbonation than there was.

It's literally spitting out a bit of foam only. No beer. (I know the foam is beer but this is so far from liquid). I might try the reg but didn't want to break it apart. I might try that other suggestion as well.
It's possible it's over carbed. Pouring at fridge temps and carbonated 2 weeks with 8 carb drops. (Bulk priming has never worked well for me because I'm impatient.)

Same thing happened to my friend who I gave one from the same batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

pressure_tested said:
It's literally spitting out a bit of foam only. No beer. (I know the foam is beer but this is so far from liquid). I might try the reg but didn't want to break it apart. I might try that other suggestion as well.
It's possible it's over carbed. Pouring at fridge temps and carbonated 2 weeks with 8 carb drops. (Bulk priming has never worked well for me because I'm impatient.)

Same thing happened to my friend who I gave one from the same batch.

If it's that over carbed I don't think the regulator trick will work very well. Better to do the upside down bottle trick.
By the sounds of it you may actually have an infected batch that has dropped well below the expected FG. Does it taste ok?

To access the regulator you can just cut/drill a hole in the top of the unit. There are plenty of pics in the various TK threads that show how.
I future you can avoid all this trouble and just do it the really impatient mans way. Force carb the bottle with a couple of bulbs.
There should be a step by step in my thread on using the 8gr bulbs.

In th

Thanks for your help. I just realised I've been a saying foam when I should be saying foam plus heaps of co2. Hence why I feel like it may have jammed.

That said, it does have a funny homebrew flavour that I don't usually get. Maybe diacetal or dms.

pressure_tested said:
Thanks for your help. I just realised I've been a saying foam when I should be saying foam plus heaps of co2. Hence why I feel like it may have jammed.

That said, it does have a funny homebrew flavour that I don't usually get. Maybe diacetal or dms.

Could it be that the dip tub has come off?

I'm going with some hop matter partially blocking the nozzle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barls said:
I'm going with some hop matter partially blocking the nozzle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd take you up on that bet if I could Barls!

I've got the real cause of the problem figured out now. It's a hard reality, one that we all have to deal with at some stage of our kegging/keglette careers.
Your keg is dry mate, and your probably quite pissed right now.
Yes, you feel like there should be more left, but that ******* tap just keeps on spewing forth foam and CO2. The proof is that you keep on trying to get more, when in fact, the keg is empty.

My advice is to avoid motor vehicles and heavy machinery for the next 24hrs. Spend the time brewing more beer and feel proud to have drained your first keg!

Guys I've worked it out and feel like a f wit.

I put the bottle standing upright and the beer comes out fine. Down the correct way and I get foam/co2

The fing beer line must be facing up. I was quite careful to do it the same way as it came put but perhaps I didn't tighten it as much when it was originally packed and therefor the line is not in the same position...

pressure_tested said:
confirmed. I can see it with a torch. Sorry for wasting you time everybody!
Never a waste of time. Now you can work on draining that keglette for real.

Maybe it would be a good idea for someone to start a TK for HB "problems and solutions" thread? Plenty of people on this site to help people along.

I wonder if there could ever be a way to create a thread adapter to the Tap King bottles so they can be screwed straight into a soda stream unit for force carbonation.

Thoughts?

pist said:
MatttyC, it's likely that one is now stretched and will need replacing, or your gas will end up leaking out as soon as you pierce it. I've had similar issues with the O-rings, it seems a bit hit and miss as to whether or not you can reuse them without replacing the O-Rings. This seems to vary between units too from what I can see, as some people have reported issues with this, and others have had none.

Do yourself a favour, and mod it to run an external reg/gas cylinder/bulbs. They are real easy to pull apart and just as easy to put back together. It didnt take me long to get frustrated with this, and have since hooked up a sodastream cylinder and keg king reg. Im thinking this cylinder is prob going to last me a while too...ive done 5 or 6 bottles on it so far and the cylinder pressure gauge has not moved from its original position.

This is my TK unit, the external bottle makes life so much easier, especially when changing between differenty beer styles, you can dial in your pouring pressure to suit. It's also much easier to get replacement cylinders too, most woolies/coles/big w/Kmart that retail sodastream products will have them:

IMAG03771_zpscdf620bc.jpg

Mate ! this is exactly what I want to do, can you or do you have a link that steps through the process ! would be a great Saturday Afternoon project ! please point us in the right direction on where to get the stuff ! cheers

Hi all,

New to the home brew scene and have following this thread for abit..did me first bottles last light..well let youse know how it tastes..

thanks for info was a great help..cheers..

Hello fellow brewers,
Was just DM's and bought a twin pack of bottles and got the tap for free. Great deal! Can't wait to mod it.

SixStar said:
Hello fellow brewers,
Was just DM's and bought a twin pack of bottles and got the tap for free. Great deal! Can't wait to mod it.
As did I, thought the 2x JS Pale Ale + a free dispenser for just under $50 was worth the cash, seeing as I'm expecting to destroy my original (2nd hand) dispenser with any further modding for home brew. Hope the store-bought pours well, if it doesn't then I guess I'll have to look forward to my home brew...

Latest posts

Back